Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hannah Abbot

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    Double posting to pose yet another question about Hannah.

What do you think Hannah's Patronus was? I don't think she would be the type to have one that was necessarily fierce, but I've also been playing with the idea that it would have changed after her mother was killed.

Does anyone know of any animals know for being wonderful mothers, but not known for being fierce?

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Inverarity
    In medieval heraldry, the pelican was used as a symbol of piety and devotion, because supposedly a mother pelican would revive and feed her children with her blood by piercing her own breast.

Third Year Slytherin
    Bumper Cars in Gringotts
    Perhaps a mare? I think that's a fair guess.

Smiles,
    Luna

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    Oh, I love the story of the pelican and the meaning behind it. I think this would be a perfect Patronus for her to have after her mother died.

But what about before then? What do you think her Patronus would have been?

Brand New Story!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    Throughout the series, I think Hannah gets a bit of a short straw. She has plently of times when she shows her weaknesses (like her nervous breakdown in Herbology), but despite the fact that she is a member of Dumbledore's Army, we never see many qualities that would show her as a strong person.

In what ways do you think Hannah could show strength as a member of Dumbledore's Army?

Brand New Story!

Inverarity
    Sometimes just showing up is brave.

Hannah is not a fighter. I see her as a typical teenage girl, the archetypal Hufflepuff. She wants a normal life, she wants her friends and family to be safe. She's not a combatant, could probably not envision herself fighting in a war any more than any other girl her age. Imagine asking a typical high school student in the UK or the US to join a group of underage resistant fighters to take on the army of a brutal, evil dictator.

But she does. She shows up, and she survives. I don't think she needs any special talents or flashy heroics to prove how strong she was. Sometimes the ordinary people are the most heroic.

(Have you ever seen "Red Dawn"? Really cheesy and completely unbelievable movie from the 80s about a Soviet invasion of the U.S. But it's sort of a cult classic because of the way it shows teenagers suddenly going from carefree high school students to guerrillas fighting tanks and helicopters, and an enemy that won't hesitate to round up their families and machine-gun them.)

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    Quote Originally Posted by Inverarity
    (Have you ever seen "Red Dawn"? Really cheesy and completely unbelievable movie from the 80s about a Soviet invasion of the U.S. But it's sort of a cult classic because of the way it shows teenagers suddenly going from carefree high school students to guerrillas fighting tanks and helicopters, and an enemy that won't hesitate to round up their families and machine-gun them.)
    Ah. Red Dawn. That movie annoys me. Those Aérospatiale Pumas ARE NOT Mi-24 Hinds! How gullible do they think we are? It's just like how Patton tried to pass off American M48s as German panzers...

And so that this post isn't deleted for being spam, I suppose I'll comment on Hannah Abbot, too. There is nothing spectacular about her mentioned in the books, so I agree with Inverarity - you need to be an exceptionally strong person to decide to fight Death Eaters at Hogwarts when you could easily Floo out to safety (like Zacharias Smith). Putting her life on the line to fight is certainly heroic enough for me.

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    Standing in Line for Gilderoy Lockhart's Autograph
    If attendance was compulsory for all students, then why does the Lexicon specifically mention that Hannah did not return to Hogwarts after her mum's death until the final battle? I am bummed about this, as I've been writing Hannah recently and am concerned about getting canon facts wrong. Maybe this issue just isn't a "canon fact"? Thoughts?
    Lovely banner by Nadia

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Obliviate!
    It says on the Lexicon that Hannah didn't return to Hogwarts 'that year'. It does say that she was at the Battle of Hogwarts, but I think it just means that that's all they know. It doesn't specifically mean that she didn't go back to Hogwarts, it just means that she didn't go back after her mother died, and that she was at the Battle. She probably did go back for her seventh year as it was compulsory, as the Lexicon doesn't say she didn't go back. It was only for the rest of the sixth year it says she didn't go back for.

I hope that's explained it!

Sarah x

Wonderful avvie by psijupiter. Totally brilliant and amazing banner by Julia/the opaleye!

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Bear in mind that the Lexicon can be wrong. On one part of the website they still have The Marauders DOB's as 1956-8 when we know they were born back end 1959-60.

I think the Lexicon probably means that Hannah didn't return to complete year six but it's highly unlikely she'd have been exempted from year seven when attendence was compulsory.

~Carole~
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird