Thread: Official Records

The Canon Queen Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    Hermione Couldn’t Possibly Be In Two Places At Once

Official Records

I have a few questions about official records.

First, do you think or is there any canon evidence as to official birth certificates?

What about records of marriages?

Would the Ministry have records of all marriages? What about ones done secretly with only a few people present?

Also, is there an official branch of Wizards who perform weddings?

Thanks in advance for your help. I am starting on a new plotbunny and the marriage in question was done in secret, so I wondered if there was any way to prove it really happened.
    Terri Black (as in Mrs Sirius {aka Padfoot} Black)
    Hufflepuff Head of House

Rushia
    I think there's some side evidence for official birth records. A couple times, we hear references to people having their "names down" for Hogwarts as soon as they're born--which leads me to believe that there is some kind of magical trace, like with magic, of when magical children are born. I don't believe it was just Harry that was told this, and there is too much evidence that points to the Ministry being able to know these things instantly. And Hogwarts teaches magical children, and as we know, not all children born to magical parents have magic themselves, so there must be a way to tell, and it makes sense that the Ministry would keep track of it.

Along the same vein, magic is involved in weddings--a specific kind of magic, too. That sort of thing might also be traced, and have wedding records automatically drawn up by this {not hard--notices are sent out automatically for underage sorcery, so just writing down a record of what happened probably wouldn't be that hard. Of course, this sort of thing is probably a bit arbitrary since they don't know exactly who casts magic, just where and when it gets cast. That could lend some difficulty to having automatic wedding records.

That's about all I can think of right now that's helpful. Good luck!

~ Lucia

Ashley
    The Ministry does seem to have a branch for just about everything, doesn't it? There might not be a "branch" of ordained wedding performers, necessarily, but I'm sure that people who can do that must be qualified in some way. Either there is a sort of schooling program they must go through and pass (ie, Auror Training School is to Aurors) or a way that people get certified to perform weddings. Obviuosly not just anyone can perform weddings since there is a special magic associated with it (^Rushia) so I would think it's a fair assumption to say that people who perform weddings have at least that training in common.

If you wanted to, I see no reason why there wouldn't be an official branch of people who perform weddings, or an organization of sorts. It would make sense.

Good luck with your story!
    xxx
    Ashley

Gorgeous_Ginny
    I think it has got something to do with the unspeakables about how the wizarding world knows if a 'magical' child has being born and tracing charms.

AthenaRowena
    First, do you think or is there any canon evidence as to official birth certificates?
    Hard-core evidence? I don't recall seeing anything set in stone, but I think that you can assume that there are birth certificates of some sort because of how they track underage magic.

If underage magic flares up somewhere and there are no registered wizards there one could just assume that a wizarding family had gone on vacation, and that someone's kid had gotten a hold of daddy's wand. But if underage magic continually flares up there and there is no record of someone magical living there there is no way for you to send that person warnings, call them to hearings, or arrest them.

What about records of marriages?
    There probably is, seeing as the ministry has tabs on where family's of wizards and witches are living. This is so that if any family member performs magic in front of a muggle the ministry can track down said family.

Would the Ministry have records of all marriages? What about ones done secretly with only a few people present?
    I suppose it would depend if the marriage done in secret was done with any magic. If the marriage was done the muggle way with no magic involved I would assume that the ministry doesn't know.

I would think that there isn't a branch devoted entirely to weddings, but maybe a branch devoted to social events and gatherings. Remember, the same wizard that conducted Dumbledore's funeral also conducted Bill and Fleur's wedding.

-----------------------------
    I answered all questions from the view of the Ministry doesn't have magical trackers on every witch and wizard.

Elmindreda
    Quote Originally Posted by Terri
    In the Scholastic Chat (click!) Jo says "In Hogwarts there's a magical quill which detects the birth of a magical child, and writes his or her name down in a large parchment book." And also, that "The Ministry of Magic doesn't find out which children are magic."

So based on that, I suppose that the Hogwarts book is the closest thing to wizard birth certificates - in canon.

We see that the wizard that performs Bill and Fleur's wedding is the same that presided at Dumbledore's funeral. Maybe there is a branch of the Ministry responsible for civil ceremonies?

EDIT: Oops, this was mentioned already.

What about records of marriages? Would the Ministry have records of all marriages? What about ones done secretly with only a few people present?
    I personally think it would be possible to marry in secret, because I could not find any canon evidence of any specific magical bond created upon marriage - please correct me if I'm wrong, someone!

I do think that the marriages are registered - I also have a hunch that marriages between wizards and Muggles should also get a note down in the Muggle Liaison office. But it's more of a free will thing, I think, and it should be possible to marry in secret - I don't think, for example, that Merope and Tom went to the Ministry.

MissyQuill
    Hi Terri

I think secret marriages are quite comman (especially between Wizards and Muggles or pure bloods and half bloods). I mean, Remus and Tonks got married in secret and I doubt that Andromeda and Ted would have had the Black's blessings upon their marriage. Another reason they would have kept it secret was because the Blacks were quite influential at the time so one of theirs registering a marriage at the minisrty would have attracted attention.

Hope that helps.=Sammy