Thread: Godric's Hollow

sophiewalpole

Godric's Hollow

Im writing my first fanfic, and was just wondering if anyone could answer this for me, can Muggles who are in contact with the Wizarding World live in Godrick's Hollow, or another Wizarding community?

Ive done a search online and through all HP websites but I can't seem to find an answer to my question.

Please email or PM me with an answer thanks
    Sophie

Lola-Louisa
    Yeah, I should think so, because there was a Church in Godric's Hollow and as far as we know, Wizards don't have a religion. Also, Ottery St Catchpole was supposed to be a Wizarding Village, but when the Weasley's played Quidditch they had to hide behind trees. I think that Muggles can definately live in Wizarding Settlements, they just wouldn't be able to see the Wizarding pubs/shops. The only exception, I think, is Hogsmeade.

Hope this helps!

Lola x

sophiewalpole

godricks hollow

thanks lola that really does help, i just hope it flows well in the story.

megan_lupin
    Er, someone can correct me if I'm mistaken, but I thought Godric's Hollow was a Muggle village. It just had some magical ties/Wizarding relations? (Or am I mixing too much fan fiction with canon facts again? )

However, since I'm not 100% sure on GH, I'll just use Hogsmeade, since it definitely IS a *completely* Wizarding community. And I don't really know. It's not stated explicitly one way or the other, that I can recall, but I suppose that it's possible that they could ... maybe ... But only if they were married to a witch/wizard who lived in Hogsmeade, though.

But then again, the larger part of me wants to say no.

Chances are, though, I'd say to keep them in the Muggle world, since if you have a Magical/Muggle marriage, it's more possible for the witch/wizard to Apparate to their Wizarding places than it is for a Muggle to live in a place like Hogsmeade and interact with a lot of the Muggle world.

The purely-magical communities have a since of seclusion to them, and especially in the case of Hogsmeade, with its proximity to Hogwarts, I'd doubt it. Because even if you have the Muggle spouse of a witch/wizard, they're familiar with the Magical world, but what about everyone else that the Muggle has to interact with? Does every single person that that Muggle interacts with ALSO know about the Wizarding world? What would he/she have as their home address at their Muggle job, for instance?

However, if a community is a MIXTURE of the two worlds, then yeah, it goes without saying (since the Muggles are already there ).

But with those pure, magical, wizarding-only communities, I'd leave the Muggles out of it.

~Megan

sophiewalpole
    Thanks megan, I am at a loss of what to do here, I cant decide whether the characters should live there because they are involved with witches and wizards or just to put them somewhere else. I guess Ill have to do a rewrite of this chapter and figure it out along the way.

Thanks to all who replied.

megan_lupin
    Well, I think with Godric's Hollow (if I'm remembering correctly), it's a village that was Muggle, but there were magical ties to it. Wizards like the Dumbledores, Potters, etc. lived there.

But like Lola mentioned, there was a church, which leads me to believe that it was Muggle. And also, the monument to the Potters was enchanted to look like an old war monument or something (*haven't read DH in awhile, so is taking these things from memory*), until Harry and Hermione approached it. Same thing with the house itself -- it was invisible until they came within a certain distance.

If the village of GH was 100% magical like Hogsmeade was, there would have been no need for these things to be enchanted at all. However, since they were, it leads one to believe that the village was Muggle. It just happened to have Wizarding families that lived there.

~Megan

Lola-Louisa
    Yeah, I think Megan's got it completely. Keep your Muggles to villages such as Godric's Hollow and I think it should be canon enough.

Lola x

Rushia
    Godric's Hollow was absolutely a mixed village with Muggles and wizardkind living there.

In addition to the evidence already pointed out from DH, we learn in the very first chapter of the first book that it's a mixed village--the Potters were living there, and Hagrid said that Muggles were "swarming around" the house. In addition, Hogsmeade is described to us as the only completely wizarding village in Britain. Godric's Hollow is in Britain as well, so we have to assume by default that it cannot possibly be completely wizarding.

Just plain Muggles can live there, so it's perfectly fine for Muggles with contact with the wizarding world, like those married to witches and wizards or perhaps the Muggle families of Muggle-born witches and wizards, to live there. In fact, I would imagine it would make it a little easier than Mrs. Figg had it, living in an all-Muggle neighborhood. When you're part of two worlds, it's nicer to have the two worlds a little closer together so you can interact with both. ^_^

Good luck with your story.

~ Lucia

sophiewalpole
    k you to everyone who wrote on this, I have decided to place them in Godric's Hollow, as you say it is a mixed village. I just wasnt too sure about it. Once again Thank you