Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Harry Potter - Part II

the_weird_one
    I would think so. Wait, did Marge keep other dogs than bulldogs? Hum... I don't think so. But still, I think that he would still dislike dogs in general, even with Fang to prove him wrong. (Remembered, Fang slobbered a lot.) So maybe not just bulldogs, but other dogs too. (And remember, since Harry is not well versed in different bred of dogs, I don't think he could tell a bulldog apart from a Pit Bull, or whatever, so that might fuel his hatred, too.)

Hope that helped!
    -Addy

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Obliviate!
    But Pit Bulls look different from Bulldogs, even I can tell that and I have no clue about dog breeds. No, I think he would confine his dislike just for Ripper, because of who his owner was. I don't think he'd dislike all Bulldogs, but he might be slightly wary of them. Pit Bulls are also a banned breed in Britain.

I don't think that he wouldn't like dogs. Fang is a Boarhound, a wacking huge thing, and Harry shows no initial fear at meeting him, which makes me think he's not scared.

Sarah x

Wonderful avvie by psijupiter. Totally brilliant and amazing banner by Julia/the opaleye!

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Quote Originally Posted by Olive Oil Med
    So, not scared of bulldogs, but maybe just having a certain sort of dislike for them? Like Carole said, hexing one's mouth shut if it started barking at them?
    Actually, I said he could hex a dog if he was scared of it, not that he would because it was irritating him. Hexing a dog's mouth shut is actually pretty cruel and Harry isn't cruel.

I don't think there's enough evidence anywhere to show that he disliked/was scared of dogs. In fact I think he'd like them because of Sirius Animagus form.

Pit bulls and bulldogs look totally different. The bulldog is actually very easily distinguished and on seeing one, you're not going to mix it up with another breed.

Carole

Banner by the fabulous Julia - theoplaeye

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Attending a Deathday Party
    We know Harry goes on to become an Auror. Do you suppose if things got really bad he might be offered the position of Minister of Magic? Do you suppose he would take it? Or would he turn it down like Dumbledore?
    I realize, of course, that it's all in how it's written, so if an author wanted to make Harry MoM, what would they need to do to make you the reader believe it?
    Thanks!
    ~Gina

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Hmm, good question.

I don't think he would accept it. Unless he changes radically (which is possible because he does grow up), Harry isn't that good at playing the political game. He's not very diplomatic for instance (although not as bad as Ron) and is pretty reckless.

If he was offered it, I think he'd consider extremely hard and reflect on Dumbledore's words. I think he'd say no partly because he knows he's not right for the job, but also because he does know (more or less) where the Hallows are and knows that he's vulnerable to that power.

Mind you (she says changing her mind), Harry didn't give in to the Hallows in the end, proving he was a better man than Dumbledore.

Carole

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Attending a Deathday Party
    That's a really good point about the Hallows, although like you said - Harry didn't give in and seems pretty settled in not wanting that kind of power.

Here's another question: if Harry were offered MoM, and if he were to accept it, how old do you think he'd have to be to make it believable? Hypothetically speaking, things would be bleak in the wizarding world when this happens, and Harry, as Head Auror, would have been working hard to secure things.

Thanks!

A.H.
    He entered the Ministry rather young, so he could feasibly be younger than the previous Ministers. Perhaps at forty or fifty he would be trusted to have enough experience in the Ministry to handle the highest position, though maybe he would be given more advisers and such than an older, more experienced candidate. Honestly, if the situation is pressing enough (the public wanting a trusted man leading them, or something) I think he could be rather young, though no younger than mid forties.

I don't know if he would accept it under normal circumstances, though if he really felt needed, he might. He never wanted anything to do with the Ministry's convoluted and ignorant actions as a teenager, but I would imagine that his years and experience as an Auror (not to mention the "revolutionary changes" that went in to effect after the war) would effect this decision.

I do wholly agree with Carole in that he was never that diplomatic, and regardless of whether or not he would choose to accept the position, in the end, he might not have what it would take to play politics and stick to his convictions. Years of being a devoted Law and Order fan have taught me that police officers with field experience never quite agree with politics, or even completely with the legal system. (Yes, I'm using a t.v. show to cite advice -- as such, you could/should, maybe, ignore it. )

Ari

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    In modern day Britain, our youngest Prime Minister has been Tony Blair who was 44 when he took office. Although our youngest ever was William Pitt the Younger who was 24 when he became Prime Minister - that was generally a nepotism type appointment (and only about 5% of the population could vote at the time ).

I'm mentioning this because the magical world in UK does seem to mimic the structure of the Muggle world. In exceptional circumstances I could see a man in his thirties being appointed the Minister, but not much younger. If you're sticking to the epilogue and what JKR has told us about Harry, then he's head of the Auror office when he's in his thirties.

I don't know how old Kingsley is, but I always picture him as someone in his forties when he was appointed. I'd imagine your bleak situation has Kingsley either dead or incapable of being Minister. I'm still not sure Harry would take the job if offered, but if the only other option was chaos - or perhaps Draco being appointed (Ha ha) then I think Harry would feel he had no choice.

Carole

Fifth Year Ravenclaw
    Hatching Dragon's Eggs
    Quote Originally Posted by Equinox Chick
    (and only about 55 of the MALE population could vote at the time ).
    I couldn't resist the urge to correct you, sorry.

Neil

First Competition Banner I've won. For: Killers

First Year Hufflepuff
    Setting Snakes on Hapless Relatives

Quote Originally Posted by Equinox Chick
    I don't know how old Kingsley is, but I always picture him as someone in his forties when he was appointed. I'd imagine your bleak situation has Kingsley either dead or incapable of being Minister. I'm still not sure Harry would take the job if offered, but if the only other option was chaos - or perhaps Draco being appointed (Ha ha) then I think Harry would feel he had no choice.
    Although I think Harry would be reluctant to take the job, I think that he would if he felt that it was the only option for wizarding society. If there were no other candidates, or only corrupt or weak candidates for the job, I think that Harry would feel obligated to become Minister for Magic because it would best outcome for the people. Harry does have a sense of duty, and a 'saving people thing' and I think that it could be written convincingly that he would do it if the alternative was to plunge the wizarding world into crisis.

Hannah