Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Harry Potter - Part II

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    Voldemort's on the Back of Your Head, Professor
    Oh... okay, then I guess it should be Puddlemere United. Tornadoes, Cannons... I don't think so, and I've not read Quidditch Through the Ages, so I'm clueless about any of the other teams.
    ~ Pooja

AMAZING story banner by Nadia/majestic_ginny! Dimply Sammeh by me.
    I found a liquor store. I drank it.

Quick or Dead
    I'm writing a post-Hogwarts fic that involved Harry cheating on Ginny. I only have 400 words written down so far, so it's more in the brainchild stages than anything else at the moment.

Ginny is six months pregnant with their second child and she is unbearably hormonal. The spark between them was lost long ago, and Harry makes an obligatory appearance at some Dursley family reunion; Dudley and his wife are throwing a baby naming. Harry feels compelled to show up at these things briefly because he does owe them his life in a weird, twisted way. Dudley's wife, he sees, is no longer the tubby bride in an awful, poofy wedding gown and is actually quite comely. And painfully charming. The two of them lament together about their terrible marriages and after hours of conversation, flirting, and drinking, one thing leads to another. Maybe they meet up afterwords for another tryst or two, but it does not become and ongoing habit. He then feels horrendously guilty, confesses his actions to his wife, and promises to fix their marriage. Ginny admits flippantly she's been seeing Draco on and off for over a year now and doesn't seem to care much about Harry's affair. As a reader, I do not think Harry and Ginny are a good match anyway and I'm just poking fun at the fact their marriage would probably be a nightmare.

I ran the idea by my husband and he pointed out that Harry has too strong a moral compass to cheat on his wife. I disagree. He does have a strong moral compass, and that's what compelled him to have an emotional breakdown about his actions and feel immensely, agonizingly guilty about them. What's the general opinion on this?

(The story isn't about that, it's just the beginning. The story would soon after follow Darla Dursley, Harry's lovechild, through her Hogwarts years.)

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    I have to say that I agree with your husband. I honestly can't see Harry cheating on Ginny under the circumstances you describe. He's far too anxious for a family to muck it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Quick or Dead
    The two of them lament together about their terrible marriages and after hours of conversation, flirting, and drinking, one thing leads to another.
    Flirting is OOC for Harry. We've never seen any evidence that he's remotely good at flirting - just be wary of that. In fact he's pretty awful with girls (What a catch!)

I'm not saying he'd never cheat - just that the circumstances are wrong. Be careful, also, of poking fun at the supposed awful marriage and Ginny having a fling with Draco - you need to build up some good solid reasoning behind it.

Draco/Hermione and Draco/Ginny are tempting to write because they seem so impossible but the best ones are ones that have good reasons behind them.

Carole
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Halgy
    I just started here, so I'm going to pick and chose from throughout the thread. Sorry if I open up a dead topic.

Did Harry have to go through Auror training or was his experiences enough to qualify him as an Auror?
    By my reasoning, Harry would still have to go through a few years training. As talented as he is, he isn't yet qualified to be an Auror. Of course, in my mind he also trained in America, but only because that is where I have my fic taking place (I'm American, so I wanted to write what I know).

Would it be out of line to assume that Harry might be asked to assist on an investigation before he became a full-fledged Auror? Assuming if he actually helped to reconstruct the Auror department, it would not be entirely impossible for Shacklebolt to ask for Harry's assistance on a case he didn't feel was as major as some others they may have encountered, correct?
    Though I haven't finished my first fic, for my sequel I am thinking about having Shacklebolt send Harry and Ron (possibly others) off to help the Americans with a problem as part of their training (again, American just 'cause I can). I would imagine at least part of the training is like a lot of Muggle jobs where you'd shadow someone fully qualified before starting yourself.

How would Harry react to one of his children being gay?
    I really don't think it would phase him that much. He's far too understanding to let something like that get in the way. After all, his mentor (Dumbledore) was gay.

How would Harry react to a situation wherein Ron believes Hermione to be dead, and he himself doesn't know what to believe. She may or may not be dead, but how do you think his reaction would be towards Ron?
    Harry has a hard-headedness about him that would make him explore every possibility, even if his friends didn't (think the 'Draco is a Deatheater' bit from HBP). Harry would want to hold on to any hope that remains to him. Harry might even do something stupid, along the lines of him saying to Ron "If you really loved her, you wouldn't give up on her this easily." Good way to build tension if nothing else.

Victoire
    Did Harry have to go through Auror training or was his experiences enough to qualify him as an Auror?
    I beleive that others wouldnt think that he would need training, afterall he is the savior of the Wizarding World. But Harry himself, ever humble, would want the training. Regardless of his past accomplishments.

Would it be out of line to assume that Harry might be asked to assist on an investigation before he became a full-fledged Auror?
    Im kind of on the fence about this one. I mean in Harry's years at Hogwarts he is faced with life threatening situations. He was forced to deal with them, investigate them and get to the root of the dilemma.

How would Harry react to one of his children being gay?
    He would accept it. I do not see Harry as holding predjuidice against anyone (minus Deatheaters hehe)

How would Harry react to a situation wherein Ron believes Hermione to be dead, and he himself doesn't know what to believe. She may or may not be dead, but how do you think his reaction would be towards Ron?
    I agree with the last post that Harry is very hardheaded. Unless he had cold hard evidence of her death, I dont see him beleiving it. I think that he would be very frustrated and angry with Ron, 1. for not seeing Harry's way and 2. for not having hope

Sunny_Rainbow

Harry Potter and Ginny Weasley

I'm writing a fic in which Harry and Ginny had broken up because Harry found that after the battle he needed to surround himself with people who didn't remind him of the past. Eventually they see each other at a party. How do you think they would interact? Would the new womanizer Harry try to hit on Ginny? Would they just ignore each other? Would Ginny say something to him? What are your thoughts.

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    First Brush With A Dementor

How long much time has passed? I think this is very important. If the war is just some three months ago, she probably wouldn't say anything and wait for him to talk to her. If it's three years ago, I think she might try to talk to him, but just casually (first), like "So what've you been up to?"

But... I mean, I have to ask - how did Harry turn into "womanizer!Harry"? A lot depends on his character here. Is he with some other woman every night? Then he might not talk to Ginny at all. Is he just extremely flirtatious? Then he might see winning his high school sweetheart back as a challenge.
    Does he have a reputation? Then Ginny wouldn't want to talk to him.

And why would Harry, to who his friends always counted so, so much, suddenly decide to leave them all behind? I mean, I can imagine that this works if it's done extremely well, but you really have to be sure about that...
    This completely gorgeous banner, which makes me happier than a squirrel, was made by Hokey

sajomn
    Eventually they see each other at a party. How do you think they would interact?
    Whose party is it? I could see the people surrounding them making a difference in how they would behave

Would the new womanizer Harry try to hit on Ginny?
    Is this a permanent characterisation for ‘your’ Harry? Than I don't think Ginny would give him much thought.

On the other hand, is it a coping mechanism he created to deal with how lonely he is since people that had once been like a family to him no longer around him?

Would they just ignore each other? Would Ginny say something to him?
    I could see the ‘Old’ Harry attempting to avoid the confrontation that could ensue but I don’t believe Ginny would be so ‘polite.’ Throughout the books, we saw her step in say her piece and then back off allowing him to take action as he pleased. I don’t think she would just set back and ignore what was right in front of her. Especially if she though he was hiding from himself.

What are your thoughts?
    I am intrigued by your characterizations and your basic plot line however; I agree that we may need a little more information to give a stronger opinion.

Sara

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    Voldemort's on the Back of Your Head, Professor
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunny_Rainbow
    Would the new womanizer Harry try to hit on Ginny?
    Okay. Now, I've written something similar, where Harry and Ginny meet up after years. But Harry is married in my fic and is faithful to his new wife. Anyway, I don't think 'womanizer' would fit Harry's character because he's awful around women, if you ask me. He's shy and sweet; not bold and flirtatious. Womanizer is out of question. I don't see Harry going out with a hundred women before Ginny and he get together.

And if you do find a good explanation for Harry being thus, then Ginny wouldn't really pay too much attention to him, knowing that he's been out with many women before.

Would they just ignore each other?
    Hmm, I don't think they will. Ginny is, after all the sister of Harry's best mate. I can see a shy smile, a 'hi' and a bit of talk about how things are going. Or maybe Harry might not want to start the conversation. He might eye Ginny nervously for a bit, try to approach her and see if she's paying attention to him or not. Harry is a nice guy, basically, so I really still can't see him as a womaniser. Please make sure that you have a fair reason for that.

Would Ginny say something to him?
    I think she would. She would like to know how he is doing, I guess...

Here's a small piece from what I have written. Just two lines, to give you an idea. Just see if it helps.

She looked up at Harry and smiled. “Hi Harry.”

Harry felt as though he were coming down a roller coaster. His stomach gave a mighty jolt as he licked his lips and said, “H-Hi Ginny.”
    ~ Pooja

AMAZING story banner by Nadia/majestic_ginny! Dimply Sammeh by me.
    I found a liquor store. I drank it.

PurpleTree
    I do have to admit that it's hard for me to think of Harry as a "womanizer". We already know how terrible he is at flirting and the such. Another thing is that Harry will just become even more famous after defeating Moldy-Shorts, and even more women would be coming after him, desperately trying to woo him. I think that Harry would be running away from the attention, not towards it. Second, Harry has always wanted a family, so I imagine him settling down and living a "family life".

So if you make Harry a "womanizer" of sorts, just have some solid reasoning behind it. Maybe Harry could have had a big fight with Ginny and/or Ron and/or Hermione and/or others because he just wanted some time to work his life out and the others kept trying to reach out to him? Or maybe Harry kind of got mad at the world? Or maybe he was so happy at being freed of the prophecy's burden at last that he decided he wanted to make up for all that he had missed?

Anyway, how would Ginny and Harry interact if Harry was a womanizer and they met at a party? A question, though, would Harry have a date? If he didn't, I would imagine Ginny and him hanging out and reconnecting with each other as friends. I don't think they would just ignore each other, because that is definitely not Ginny's character and then Ron might get mad at Harry if he just buzzed Ginny off. If Harry had a date, the opposite could happen, I think. Harry would be embarrassed and would kind of try and get away while Ginny looks on reproachfully. Later, Harry would either get bored with his date or the other way around, and would try to approach Ginny but she wouldn't talk to him. Then, Harry would go after Ginny and have a big fight and then becomes friends or a couple again.

Hope that helps!

And I have an inquiry myself: If Harry and Draco Malfoy ran into each other at the Ministry (not literally, of course, and assuming that both work there) how do you think they would react? Would they ignore each other, get into an argument or fight, or would they be just acquaintances or even *gasp* friends?

~~Isabel