Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Harry Potter - Part II

Virgil
    Quote Originally Posted by Fainting Fancies
    Although I think Harry would be reluctant to take the job, I think that he would if he felt that it was the only option for wizarding society. If there were no other candidates, or only corrupt or weak candidates for the job, I think that Harry would feel obligated to become Minister for Magic because it would best outcome for the people. Harry does have a sense of duty, and a 'saving people thing' and I think that it could be written convincingly that he would do it if the alternative was to plunge the wizarding world into crisis.

Hannah
    I think that Ron and Hermione would probably pressure him into taking the job; similar to what happened in OotP when they pressured him into starting the DA.

And people say that peer pressure is a bad thing. pffft.

Well that's my two Knuts. More like one, really.
    ~Virgil

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Attending a Deathday Party
    Thanks for all the good points - his age, the circumstances, his reluctance, his lack of diplomacy, and Ron and Hermione working on him to accept it. All noted and soon to be addressed.

Here's another question. Is it that unbelievable to believe that Harry never killed anyone in all his years as an Auror? I'd like to think that once he saw what it did to Voldemort's soul he would never kill anyone in any manner. And hopefully those kinds of tactics were never needed after Voldemort's defeat anyway.

I had another question about Harry's character, but I forgot what it was so don't be surprised if you see me again.

Thanks!
    ~Gina

'Til the end of the line Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmariam
    Thanks for all the good points - his age, the circumstances, his reluctance, his lack of diplomacy, and Ron and Hermione working on him to accept it. All noted and soon to be addressed.

Here's another question. Is it that unbelievable to believe that Harry never killed anyone in all his years as an Auror? I'd like to think that once he saw what it did to Voldemort's soul he would never kill anyone in any manner. And hopefully those kinds of tactics were never needed after Voldemort's defeat anyway.

I had another question about Harry's character, but I forgot what it was so don't be surprised if you see me again.

Thanks!
    ~Gina
    This is probably a horrible example and wildly inappropriate, but in all of his years of crimefighting, Batman would never kill anyone. I'm sure criminals have been killed on his watch, but not by his hand and certainly not intentionally. I think Harry is the same. Both have seen the good and the bad side of society's favor and the law, but neither let up, neither questioned whether what they were doing was right or wrong, and neither crossed that final line.

He will go forth and kick butt, and I can even see him using Unforgivables, but he just doesn't have it in him to kill, even if he thinks he does or actually wants to. Harry would sooner AK himself than take a life, if my canon interpretation can be trusted at this unholy hour of the day.

Hope that helps. If not, hit me up on AIM and pick my brain at a better hour.
    Jess WritesJess DrabblesJess DuelsJess PoetsJess Draws

Gorgeous banner by Dinny / Evora.

Hokey
    Firstly, I'd have to agree with everyone that the most likely reason why Harry would accept the job as MoM it would be because he couldn't live with the alternative - if the other candidate is someone evil/corrupt/bad for the wizarding world. I don't think it would be unlikely at all that he would get the question, though.

About the killing: we know from DH that Harry would rather disarm someone than kill, but that might've been because it was Stan, too. I do believe that only disarming and not killing could become his "trademark" even later on, corny as it does sound, and I'm sure he'd be proud if he became a role model and all other Aurors followed his lead to not kill. Killing might create killers, after all, and I think he'd encourage others not to kill when not necessary.
    I also think that after seeing Draco's turn, and Snape's, Harry would have a more open mind to "evil" people and believe that there is good in them, too (although I have a hard time finding the good in Bellatrix, for example....) and therefore be reluctant to killing.

~Jen

'Til the end of the line Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    Quote Originally Posted by Jen
    About the killing: we know from DH that Harry would rather disarm someone than kill, but that might've been because it was Stan, too.
    Let's not forget that it was with 'Expelliarmus' that Voldie saw his downfall. In that crucial time of darkness and despair, death surrounding him, Harry still chose the Disarming Charm with which to battle the Dark Lord. Anything else is, IMO, OOC.
    Jess WritesJess DrabblesJess DuelsJess PoetsJess Draws

Gorgeous banner by Dinny / Evora.

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    I agree that he'd rather not kill, and I really doubt he would ... but ... in certain circumstances, I think he could.

In the duel with Voldemort it was primarily about defending himself yes he had the wizarding world to protect, but in that moment it was only him and Voldy duelling.

HOWEVER, just before that he was distracted from his original purpose of seeking out Voldy because Ginny was inches away from being killed by Bellatrix and he acted instinctively. He also used the Cruciatus curse on Amycus for the rather silly offence of spitting at McGonagall. Yeah, spitting is horrible and he's disrespectful, but Harry gets very, very angry at this and is actually rather pleased with himself for using an Unforgiveable.

When he thinks, he uses less rather than more force, but when he's very angry, his reason flies out the window. If someone he loved was killed, I could see Harry in that one moment killing the killer.

Carole

Banner by the fabulous Julia - theoplaeye

Aimay

Professor Potter...?

I'm writing a fic where Harry becomes a teacher at Hogwarts, this is carrying on from the end of DH, Harry sees his kids off and then apparates to Hogwarts, he doesn't tell his kids that he's going to be teaching because he wantsit to be a surprise...

My Question is: What would Harry be like as a teacher and what do you think he would teach?

Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    Hut-on-the-Rock, The Sea
    Hi all,

In my fic, Harry's son is killed by someone who is in a rebel group (again with the pureblood uprising ideas) and soon after the Ministry and Harry discover the death, Harry has come to see the body at the crime scene. My question for all of you is how do you think he would react to his son's murder and how would he react to seeing the body? I seem to be having a lot of trouble with it.

- Mercy

~*~Duelling~*~Writing~*~Drabble-ing?~*~Felix Lupin~*~
    Positively amazing A Mix of Alliances and Sentiments trailer by lunaselenia.

Beautiful banner by the talented the opaleye. Indefinite hiatus due to university.

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Attending a Deathday Party
    I think you could go any direction you want with this, because having children really changes a person, so the Harry who has just lost his son won't react the same as the Harry in the books who has lost a godfather or friend. You just have to back it up with his emotions, thoughts, and actions.

I personally would take it one of two ways: he either bottles it up and is rather stoic about it, or he is very angry and sets off for revenge or justice or whatever. We did see him react both ways as a teenager, so you would be connecting to what we already know about his character.

I don't see him being very public about his grief, that's for sure.

Sounds sad - good luck!
    ~Gina

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Quote Originally Posted by Gina
    I don't see him being very public about his grief, that's for sure.
    I agree with this. Harry doesn't trust the media and others' perceptions of him, so he wouldn't share his anger. I do think he'd be angry and grief stricken to a point of ... hmm ... I hesitate to say madness, but I mean it would be a time where he'd act first and think later. It is a blood relative he's lost; I doubt he could be at all calm. It would also be the first time he's lost someone he was truly connected to ... Sirius was a two year friendship, his son (or daughter) is a far more personal thing.

~Carole~

Quote Originally Posted by Aimay
    My Question is: What would Harry be like as a teacher and what do you think he would teach?
    I think he could only teach DADA. He doesn't seem to have a leaning towards anything else. I think he'd be a good teacher. he was certainly good in the DA, but whether he'd have the patience to teach James Sirius is another matter. Fur would fly, as they say.

Banner by the fabulous Julia - theoplaeye