Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Harry Potter - Part II

Hybrid View

go go ravenclaw

Harry Potter - Part II

All right, guys, the last thread post count went over the limit, so I created a new one. The last TQ I spotted:

Originally Posted by Jade Potter
    When would Harry tell Teddy Lupin about the War and how his parents died?
    *runs off*

Trick or Treat!

Where we visited first, now back there we go.
    We all have opinions; it’s how we let writers know.
    Last edited by ToBeOrNotToBeAGryffindor; 10-25-2012 at 07:58 AM.

The Canon Queen Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    Hermione Couldn’t Possibly Be In Two Places At Once
    We know Harry and Ron as well as Neville agreed to help Kingsley redo the Auror department after the Battle.
    A few questions:

How long do you think this took?

Did Harry have to go through Auror training or was his experiences enough to qualify him as an Auror?
    Terri Black (as in Mrs Sirius {aka Padfoot} Black)
    Hufflepuff Head of House

Honigkuchenpferd Hufflepuff
    "Greetings From Egypt..."
    When would Harry tell Teddy Lupin about the War and how his parents died?

I guess he would tell him before Teddy starts Hogwarts, maybe even earlier. I can imagine Teddy would want to know about his parents quite early, around the age of 4/5 maybe. At this age though Harry will probably only tell him that his parents died to ensure Teddy a peaceful life. Andromeda is probably going to tell Teddy about at least Tonks when he starts asking the question. Then again we know Harry has more insight information on what happened during the battle. Therefore I imagine he would tell Teddy the last battle in detail when he's around 13/14, old enough to understand his parents' motives.

Did Harry have to go through Auror training or was his experiences enough to qualify him as an Auror?

I think he had to go through training, but it might have been shortened (maybe just two years of regularly three). Having defeated Voldemort doesn't ensure that he knows everything there is about defensive charms and anti curses that he is going to cover in training.

How long do you think the redoing of the Auror Department took?

I have no real idea. But I would guess from six months onwards. After all, rebuilding a system that worked for several decades takes some time, and they needed to convince older Aurors of the new effectiveness of the new system.

I hope this helped a bit, but my answers are only assumptions. Seek out other opinions, too.

~Bine
    No longer a mod and no longer in charge of any forums.

author ~*~ BA banner ~*~ giggler
    Banners by Tiffany and Samarie ^

eleven49

I would say that Harry didn't have to go through any formal training, at least not immediately. After Harry defeated Voldemort, life didn't pop magically back to its pre-Voldemort state; the Ministry was in shambles from Voldemort's infiltration and destruction, as was the rest of the Wizarding world. "Chaotic" is a fairly accurate word to describe life at that time. But because Aurors could really help to subdue the chaos, Kingsley probably searched for people to fill positions as those officials almost immediately.

Think how quickly Kingsley was named temporary Minister of Magic. I believe he named Ron and Harry temporary Aurors as soon as the two felt they were able to take some sort of action. Kingsley was familiar with their abilities and their personalities, he knew how to work with them, and he needed Aurors. So I think they began learning in an on-the-job basis rather than through official, extended Auror training. Veteran Aurors, maybe even Kingsley, then helped to fill the holes in Ron and Harry's knowledge.

After life was restored to a semi-normal state, I think Harry and Ron (and if there were any other "temporary Aurors" appointed, them too) went through some sort of official training - maybe shortened, though - just to ensure they had everything covered.

Whoops, I don't have much time! I might edit to answer the other questions later. Hope this helps!

~Eleven49

saizine
    Because of Harry's experience of not knowing that his parents were wizards and died both fighting to save him and fighting against Voldemort, I don't really think that he would wait very long to tell Teddy. However, I think that he would wait until he thought that the boy had an understanding about life and death, which I'm under the impression would be around the age of nine or ten. I don't think that he would use any "filler" deaths, like the Dursleys did to him, because that's just cruel - I believe that Harry would have been happier knowing how and why his parents died, so I think that he would hold the same philosophy with Teddy.

As to how exactly he would tell him, I'd say he would wait for Teddy to ask him how his parents died or why he didn't have parents when all his cousins did (I suppose that the latter question would be if he was younger). I suppose that if Teddy asks Harry or Andromeda about his parents deaths when he was say, five years old, Harry would still tell him for reasons that I've already stated.

If Harry, Ron, and Neville agreed to reformat the Auror department and (sorry if this is incorrect information, but I remember reading it somewhere) and Harry was appointed as the head of the department sometime around 2007, then I'm assuming that the reformation didn't take long, but somehow there may have been issues with the already appointed Aurors. Retraining, maybe, or ill-adjusted Aurors who didn't want to see the change from what they were used to. So, in short: the actual change was fast (or at least quicker than expected), but there may have been complications that arose in the form of Aurors who were not willing to change, etc.

I think that Harry's experiences would have been enough to qualify him as an Auror, personally. He'd shown on more than one occasion that he could handle things that some Aurors would never face, and he was able to produce a full-bodied Patronus at age thirteen, years before people would even attempt the spell. Plus, he killed Voldemort - wasn't that a large part of being an Auror?

cirelondiel
    This was posted in the last thread after this one was created:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kcharles
    I have a question about Harry for you all. Could Harry still speak Parseltongue after Voldemort "killed" him?
    Someone answered yes over there, but I'm pretty sure JKR actually confirmed that Harry lost the ability to speak Parseltongue. But my internet is being stupid at the moment () and keeps closing on me so I can't confirm it... can anyone else look it up?

-- Chelsea

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    Quote Originally Posted by luinrina

I think he had to go through training, but it might have been shortened (maybe just two years of regularly three). Having defeated Voldemort doesn't ensure that he knows everything there is about defensive charms and anti curses that he is going to cover in training.

I have a question related to this. How old do you think Harry would have been when he first got involved with the Auror department? Either officially or unofficially.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Honigkuchenpferd Hufflepuff
    "Greetings From Egypt..."
    I'd guess he got involved right after the Second War. As far as we know Kingsley asked Harry and Ron to help him with restructuring the Auror Department. And I believe they did that right away. That would therefore be around Harry's eighteenth birthday.

If you mean when he started working as an Auror, I'd add around two years, so that Harry would be around the age of twenty.

I hope I could help, OliveOil_Med.

~Bine
    No longer a mod and no longer in charge of any forums.

author ~*~ BA banner ~*~ giggler
    Banners by Tiffany and Samarie ^

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    Would it be out of line to assume that Harry might be asked to assist on an investigation before he became a full-fledged Auror? Assuming if he actually helped to reconstruct the Auror department, it would not be entirely impossible for Shacklebolt to ask for Harry's assistance on a case he didn't feel was as major as some others they may have encountered, correct?

I'm really bogging you guys down with the legalities, aren't I?

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

gods_unwanted_child
    I'd guess he got involved right after the Second War. As far as we know Kingsley asked Harry and Ron to help him with restructuring the Auror Department. And I believe they did that right away. That would therefore be around Harry's eighteenth birthday.

If you mean when he started working as an Auror, I'd add around two years, so that Harry would be around the age of twenty

Everyone is required to obtain to marks on their NEWTS and undergo three years of Auror training before they can be an Auror.

Harry didn't go back to Hogwarts for his second year and wasn't able to take his NEWTS. I don't think that they would let him be a full-fledged Auror without all the necessary requirements, even if he did defeat Voldemort. They may, however, let him unofficially perform Auror duties while undergoing training.

He would have had to take the NEWTS, and get good marks. He also would have had to go through the three year training process. At the very earliest, this amounts to three years total, but probably no more than five, putting a more reasonable age anywhere between twenty-one and twenty-three.