Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bi-Weekly Drabble Challenge - Theme: Summer - Results!

The Canon Queen Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    Hermione Couldn’t Possibly Be In Two Places At Once
    Name: mudbloodproud
    House: Hufflepuff
    Title: Summer Solstice and the Full Moon
    Warnings: none
    Word Count: 496
    Authors Note: This is set in 1997. June 20th that year was also the night of the full moon. The first full moon after Bill was attacked by Greyback.

It is the longest day of the year. The irony of this fact does not escape your notice. The course your life will take depends on this night. Tonight is the night of the full moon.

To celebrate the day, your mother makes a large picnic lunch and the entire family eats out in the yard. Your siblings challenge you to a game of Quidditch. Though you don’t really feel like playing, you understand they are trying to keep your mind occupied.

You agree to play, only to have your mother and fiancé say you can’t. They say you are not sufficiently healed enough to play. You need your rest. Not wishing to start another argument with your mum, you give in and sit with your fiancé against a tree watching the others play.

The day seems to go one forever. You watch as the sun moves slowly across the sky.

You say goodbye to your fiancé knowing she loves you. You say goodbye to your mother who you know does not understand why you have to leave. Why you insist on doing this alone.

So you go to the place to which you have arranged to spend the night. Though your friend thinks this is for naught, he understands your need to be sure.

“Bill, you know I believe you are not a werewolf, but I do understand why you are doing this.” Remus tells you this as he leads you down to the basement.

“I am thankful you understand. And I am very grateful to Tonks for agreeing to let me stay here tonight.” You try to give your friend a smile, but you know that it probably looks more like a grimace than a true smile.

“If you need anything, Dora is just upstairs. I on the other hand, will be a bit indisposed for the night. I am going now to take my potion and lock myself in the attic.” Remus reaches out to shake your hand. His face shows his worry and something that looks like embarrassment on his face.

You chose not to comment on the emotions you see in his face. Thanking him again, you settle in. You chose to sit facing the small window so you can see the moon as it rises.

This night will decide the course of your future.

At last you see the pale light of the moon shining in the window. You stand and walk over to the window and let the moon’s rays shine on you.

Though you feel a strange attraction to the glow of the moon, you remain a man.

Laughing, you realise what Remus told you is correct. You are not a werewolf. Turning on the spot, you Apparate home to those you love.

Opening the front door of the Burrow, you are at once enveloped in a hug from Fleur. Smiling, you kiss her face.

“I am home, love. And best of all, I am just a man.”
    Terri Black (as in Mrs Sirius {aka Padfoot} Black)
    Hufflepuff Head of House

Third Year Gryffindor
    I'm a what?
    Name: tc015
    House: Gryffindor
    Title: The Sprunklier of Hope
    Warnings: None
    Word Count: 455
    Authors Note: Dominique is Bill and Fluer's second child, according to JKR's family tree.
    The sun beats gently on your back. Warmth flooded you from every area, from your toes to head. The grass is wet from the morning dew, but you do not mind. It’s just another morning that you can enjoy, alone.

Behind you, children’s voice scream and shout with excitement. You hear mention of Bludgers and Beaters; they must be playing Quidditch.

“Stop cheating, James,” says the loud, high-pitched voice of your cousin Rose.

“Am not,” he yells back.

“Are too!”

“Can’t you just get along for once?” Victoire states, her voice solemn and serious. “This fighting, it’s what gets people hurt.”

You wince at the mention of hurt. You can vividly remember last time you played Quidditch, just a week ago. Of course, that was the last Quidditch match you ever played. But you push those awful thought from your mind, and just try to enjoy the peace of the morning.

But the temporary peace doesn’t last long. James is now bullying his little brother.

“Excuse me,” Albus says calmly. “I’m going to leave now.”

“Don’t leave,” Lily whines. “Just because James is a thickhead.”

“No, really,” Albus replies. “I’m going to talk to Dominique.”

“If you say so.”

You hear soft footsteps coming from behind you, most likely those belonging to Albus. There’s a thump next to you as Albus takes a seat next to you.

“Having fun this morning?” he says, his voice youthful and cheerful.

“Yeah,” you reply sullenly.

“Don’t lie to me. I know when people lie, and I can definitely tell that you are not enjoying this.”

“What, is it that Slytherin instinct in you?”

“Yep,” he replies happily, not phased by ridiculing remark.

“Why don’t you enjoy this summer day?” you ask. “After all, it’s the last day of the picnic party.”

“Because I want you to have fun too. Just because you’re –”

“Just because I can’t see,” you reply coldly. “I know. And it’s all thanks to your stupid brother.”

“James is a git,” Albus agrees. “But you can’t let this get to you. It’s the first day of summer, and you enjoy it too.”

“But how?”

“Well, Grandpa just installed one of those Muggle water-spraying devices, that sprunklier. We run though that. I can show it, if you want.”

“I don’t know,” you reply unsurely. It sounded like amazing fun, just too good to be true.

“Come on,” Albus begs. “Please.”

“I guess I’ll go.”

“Great!” Albus exclaims as he grabs you hand and leads you toward the sprunklier. The water feels cool and refreshed. He takes you slowly through. As the cold water hits your toes, you feel joyful. And for the first time in months, you laugh loudly and clearly. And it feel good.

Ebil Gato Loco Ravenclaw
    He's The Dog... He's An Animagus...

-enters with envelope-
    -opens envelope-
    -waits for drumroll-
    And lo and behold after a LONG time, the winners are:

First Place:
    Elmindreda

Elmindreda make good use of the prompt by showing us a different side of Severus Snape’s childhood with his mom, Eileen Prince, who is mainly characterized as neglectful if not downright abusive. You get a good glimpse at where Severus could have gotten his love for Potions. And lastly, Elmindreda showed the reader one type of activity wizard folk could do during the summer: teach their children extra lessons that they might not learn in Hogwarts. Good work!

Second Place:
    Phia Phoenix

Phia’s drabble with Luna and her father was not only well written but also howed us another activity that wizards can partake in during the holidays: traveling for research. MQ and I found it rather original that Phia used an actual mythical creature from Australia to give some real credibility to the Lovegoods.

Third Place:
    Rushia

Rushia’s drabble also takes into context traveling and vacationing. However, she uses an interesting POV: Bill Weasley to portray their vacation. MQ and I found it rather amusing and a good beginning to a possible one-shot. =]

All in all, it was rather hard to pick just THREE winners. All of the drabbles were well-written and you guys made really good use of the second person. I was rather excited to read them.

Woot! You guys are awesome! Don’t forget to participate in the current weekly, and congratulate the winners!

~Ebil One

I've left moddom/fandom...though don't be surprised if I get caught lurking once in a blue moon.
    All questions pertinent to Ravenclaw need to be sent to ToBeOrNotToBeAGryffindor
    If you wish to keep in touch, feel free to friend me on LJ - I don't friend anyone under the age of 18. Sorry!

Otherwise, so long, and thanks for all the fish!

Third Year Slytherin
    Bumper Cars in Gringotts
    Congratulations to the winners! This message isn't fifty characters. Now it is.

Smiles,
    Luna