Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How does teenage Snape shoot down flies?

Azhure
    Actually as I read through this post I was thinking he might have been using Sectumsempra. At this point, lets assume he is 16, he might have been working on creating the spell. Granted it would be a messy way to get rid of the flies, but they were an easy target and he would have to have somthing to practice on. Since the book belonging to Snape that inadvertantly ended up in Harry's hands was a 6th year book, I think this is a possibility. The books never say when he created it, only that he did.
    That's a really good idea now that I think of it. Even Snape *probably* wouldn't dare to test out his spell on humans yet. I think it's a good theory that while he was creating the spells he was testing them out on flies and the like.

Unless, of course, we are all just over analysing everything!

~~Azhure~~

cmwinters
    It detects magic done in non-magical households and in Muggle areas.

Spinner's End and the surrounding areas would have been Muggle. The Snape household would not have been, because Eileen was a witch, and of age.

The Evans household, however, *would* have been considered a Muggle area/household. As is the Dursley household, and for the same reason. The only magical occupant is underage.

However, this does bring to light a question: why didn't the Ministry go after Mundungus Fletcher for Apparating all about the place in Order of the Phoenix?

SeverusSempra
    Hello, CMWinters: Regarding Mundungus: they probably DID go after him-- they probably just couldn't catch him. Either that or he wasn't worth the bother. I got the impression that he'd be like the guy who keeps showing up in the drunk tank and being tossed out the next day or something-- there was probably a revolving door in a minimum-security ward in Azkaban with Mundungus's name on it.

Thanks for the comment about the green jets of light-- I hadn't thought of that, and it's a really good point. I'm trying to remember whether there are any other instances in which AK is used minus the green jets of light, but I can't think of any. It sounds like Sectumsempra and Stupefy are (right now) probably the two best bets. I do think he'd be angry enough at the world to take out flies using AK, but minus the green jets of light, it's more like sub-lethal target practice.

Anya

Hi, butter_beer_drinker: I am actually chuckling over "StupeFLY." Your point about the timing is a good one-- if he semi-accidentally created Sectumsempra in his anger at James Potter during the "Snape's Worst Memory" scene, sort of a random "hurt him!" wish that turned into a cut on James's cheek, he could definitely be honing it over the summer and spending his time playing the 1970s working-class Wizarding equivalent of a videogame. (Working class because presumably someone like Malfoy would have a house-elf get rid of flies for him). He definitely seems the type to practice and perfect something. Someone mentions (good point) that Harry doesn't note bits of flies falling all over the place, but Harry is just getting the briefest glimpse, so that could go either way.

And hello, Azhure: yes, I completely agree-- we are totally overanalyzing this. Fun mental exercise, though, pertaining to character analysis and understanding of spells and Ministry of Magic policy.

Thanks so much,

Anya

cmwinters
    Quote Originally Posted by SeverusSempra
    Thanks for the comment about the green jets of light-- I hadn't thought of that, and it's a really good point. I'm trying to remember whether there are any other instances in which AK is used minus the green jets of light, but I can't think of any. It sounds like Sectumsempra and Stupefy are (right now) probably the two best bets. I do think he'd be angry enough at the world to take out flies using AK, but minus the green jets of light, it's more like sub-lethal target practice.
    In Order of the Phoenix, there are several instances of Avada Kedavra being cast non-verbally, and this is noted by Harry who sees the green beams of light but doesn't hear the spell being cast.

Even if you don't say they are non-verbal (and just perhaps cast quietly, and hard to hear in the din of battle), I still think Harry would be able to lip-read "Avada Kedavra" in the memory from Snape, and as it doesn't appear Snape's lips were moving (more by omission than inclusion) then I think it's likely that whatever spell young Severus was casting was being cast non-verbally. And we've already seen young Severus cast Sectumsempra non-verbally (on James, in the "Snape's worst memory" scene; he flicks his wand and a cut appears on James' cheek, but at the time Severus' mouth is full of bubbles. Not the best to cast any spell, especially when precise enunciation is so necessary. As Professor Flitwick says, remember the wizard Baruffio!)

SeverusSempra
    Thanks so much-- if I include a take on this scene from the actual book, I don't want it to be sloppy or inconsistent. I'm glad Sandy brought it up and prompted me to look into it-- and thank you for the help. You're right-- Harry would have picked up on anything on which he could possibly have put a negative spin, and the green jets of light just aren't there.

Anya

... and I hope I got the jargon right on that one.

Thank you, everyone, for all your help. That was a really fun and thoughtful discussion.

Anya