Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arthur Weasley

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Being Chased by Singing Dwarves with Valentines
    Adding to what Sarah said, Arthur was also attempting to support a young family during the First War, so I think that for the safety of his family, he would have stayed out of it.
    GRYFFINDOR PRIDE!
    Avvie by me, banner by TM_Wandstick.
    It matters not what one is born, but what they become.Don't let your praying knees get lazy, and love like crazy!

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Being Chased by Singing Dwarves with Valentines
    Umm, interesting and difficult question. I am more inclined to say crying, as it's easier to see than fear, and I mean he was probably scared for the entirety of the Second War.
    GRYFFINDOR PRIDE!
    Avvie by me, banner by TM_Wandstick.
    It matters not what one is born, but what they become.Don't let your praying knees get lazy, and love like crazy!

Fourth Year Gryffindor
    Arguing With The Sorting Hat
    According to the HP lexicon, the first order was created in the early 1970's. Bill was born in 1971, so around the same time of the first Order. Since Arthur and Molly just started a family, I don't think either of them would join the Order right then. I also have a question based on post 1; would Arthur be more unwilling to have his kids see him scared or crying?

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    You Need Some Driving Lessons, Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by iwannabeanauror View Post
    According to the HP lexicon, the first order was created in the early 1970's. Bill was born in 1971, so around the same time of the first Order. Since Arthur and Molly just started a family, I don't think either of them would join the Order right then. I also have a question based on post 1; would Arthur be more unwilling to have his kids see him scared or crying?
    I understand what you and Maple are both saying about Arthur and Molly staying out of the Order because they are starting a family, but I wanted to comment on the other side of things, just to be obstinate. There's no convenient time to have a war. There are always going to be things going on with home and family and career that make it impossible or at least unwise to put yourself in harm's way for a cause. That said, at the time of the second war, Arthur's job is still in a precarious position and they now have seven children they are responsible for, nearly all of them still in school. Molly is trying to manage all of that in an increasingly dangerous time, and then the youngest boy comes home with the Dark Lord's mortal enemy in tow.

What I'm trying to say here, is that I think Arthur and Molly would have still been a part of the Order. Maybe her role would have been different if she was pregnant, but this is a family who is willing to stand and even die for the right/good, as so many other characters in the series... including the Potters, and the Remus-Tonks. Bill and Fleur are starting a new life together as well, and are right there in the front lines at battle time.

Just throwing that out there for consideration. We truly can't know what they would have done (assuming its not in canon anywhere), and both sides can be argued from a characterization point of view. This is just how I see it.

Happy writing!
    Lovely banner by Minna

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors
    On the HP lexicon it says Arthur was a member of the OotP but in the 1900's only.
    Also I think Arthur wouldn't want his children to see him cry or scared as he may feel he has to stay strong for his family.
    Neville's Girl
    Next question!

I was under the impression Arthur was a prefect, but I cannot find anything to back this up. Was he a prefect?
    Looking on Lexicon I cannot find anything that suggests he was a prefect but also non against. I think this ones up to you.

~Abi~

This gorgeous banner is by TM_WandStick/Toni =)
    JOIN THE SBBC!
    ON HIATUS

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    I was under the impression Arthur was a prefect, but I cannot find anything to back this up. Was he a prefect?

There's nothing concrete in the books, but Molly does say when she's congratulating Ron, 'That's everyone in the family.' - to which the twins reply 'What are we, the neighbours?' Of course, she could just mean her children, but I think there's a strong case for making Arthur a prefect.

Molly and Arthur weren't in the Order the first time around. It could have something to do with having a young family, but equally it was a much smaller group. Kingsley wasn't in it and he's at least the same age as Remus etc al, although probably older. I do think that the existence of their very young family stopped Dumbledore asking them to join, although I'm sure he would have considered it. The problem with having very young children is that because they are so defenceless, they can be used as leverage against the Order member. Molly's brothers were in the Order, so maybe they were against their sister and brother in law being involved. Most of the Order members appear to have been single, after all.

~Carole~
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

LittleJM
    I'm in the process of constructing a story about Arthur Weasley and one of the things I considered addressing was their involvement in the original Order. Even though it's cut out of my story now, I did a little bit of research and made my own little opinion.
    I assume Molly and Arthur would've known of the Order - as both of her brothers were putting their lives on the line for it - but I think that Dumbledore suspected that the Weasleys had a much larger role to play in the Order... only AFTER their children were old enough to make the decision to join or not. Is it correct to assume that, at the height of the original Order, most of the people involved were young, daring, and were not tied down into other matters? Even before Harry came around, we can find that the Weasleys had four little handfuls all under the age of 10. Dumbledore, in my opinion, wouldn't have brought small children around such dark matters if he could prevent it (even if Molly and Arthur had wanted to join).

Essence_of_Lily
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleJM View Post
    I assume Molly and Arthur would've known of the Order - as both of her brothers were putting their lives on the line for it - but I think that Dumbledore suspected that the Weasleys had a much larger role to play in the Order... only AFTER their children were old enough to make the decision to join or not. Is it correct to assume that, at the height of the original Order, most of the people involved were young, daring, and were not tied down into other matters? Even before Harry came around, we can find that the Weasleys had four little handfuls all under the age of 10. Dumbledore, in my opinion, wouldn't have brought small children around such dark matters if he could prevent it (even if Molly and Arthur had wanted to join).

I agree with you, but I think Dumbledore would've made it their choice whether they wanted to join or not. Maybe he persuaded them not to, because of their children. I think they wanted to join, but they wanted their children to be safe.

I'm pretty sure it's safe to assume that about the people that were joining. After all, they wouldn't want the Death Eaters to come after their children.

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Obliviate!
    I think Dumbledore would've made it their choice whether they wanted to join or not. Maybe he persuaded them not to, because of their children. I think they wanted to join, but they wanted their children to be safe.
    I disagree. I think Dumbledore would have, however much it hurt or disgusted him to think so, done things for 'the greater good'. If two powerful or skilled people wanted to join the Order, he'd have allowed them to, telling himself that the couple had made the decision and knew the risks. People with children were in the Order the first time around, and those children died. Remember Edgar Bones? Moody says that the Death Eaters killed his whole family, and later on, it's said that Susan Bones lost her aunt, uncle and cousins in the war. 'The McKinnons' were also killed. Whether this means just a husband and wife or husband, wife and children isn't clear, but people with families were in the Order. This proves that it wasn't just unmarried or young couples in the Order, but there are other people who probably weren't young and unattached. Emmeline Vance is described as being 'stately' in OoTP, suggesting a degree of age, I'd say at least in her late forties, but probably older. Moody would also have been no spring chicken, along with Hagrid, Eliphias Doge, Dumbledore and his brother. Frank and Alice Longbottom were also older than the Marauders by at least two years, but again, it was probably more, and we don't know the ages of people like Sturgis Podmore and Caradoc Dearborn, or the Prewett brothers, or whether they were married or had children. I think it very unlikely that Dumbledore would form a resistance group of teenagers fresh out of Hogwarts. I suspect that the Marauders and Lily were the youngest members, and the youngest by some years.

Going back to a previous point, I think it would have been very much Arthur and Molly who made the decision whether to join or not.

Sarah x

Wonderful avvie by psijupiter. Totally brilliant and amazing banner by Julia/the opaleye!