Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arthur Weasley

Hybrid View

Third Year Slytherin
    Bumper Cars in Gringotts

Arthur Weasley

I'm not sure how I'm supposed to do this but let's try this:

I'm having trouble writing Arthur. I'm trying to figure out how he acts when he's scared/nervous. Any help?

Quote Originally Posted by butter_beer_drinker
    If his kids were around I am sure he would try not to show it. I have seen a few people write him as a dimwitted, Muggle artifact-loving, freak, but I don’t think that is right.

All dads fear something, the number one thing being someone harming their family. Since the Weasley’s are a large family, I’m sure Author would be very fierce when defending his family and would later break down in the arms of his wife. He would try very hard to not let his kids see his fear. If they were around it would probably manifest itself as anger. He might be harsh with his kids when telling them to do something and would later apologize and tell them he was frightened for their safety, or something along those lines.

As for being nervous, he strikes me as the type that would become somewhat chatty. He might try to strike up a conversation about anything in order to hide his nerves.
    Quote Originally Posted by kathryn_malfoy
    I have gotten the feeling that Arthur tries to stay very calm, no matter what. I think in a situation in which he was afraid, he would try to laugh it off and rationalize. He does not seem like a rash character at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by TiaBlue
    In my opinion, Arthur Weasley seems like a person who overcomes his fears and calmly does the job that needs to be done. In Book 4, when the Death Eaters were terrorizing everyone at the campsite of the World Cup, Arthur was calm in the face of danger and ready to fight. (page 120) Also, he was calm and determined at the Battle of Hogwarts in Book 7, and other people must have seen duelling skills and leadership in him because he was put in charge of taking groups onto the grounds to fight. (page 611)
    However, Arthur wasn't calm when he was afraid George was hurt in Book 7 - he was kind of fierce. Remember how he yelled at Kingsley even though Kingsley probably had a wand pointed at him?
    page 74 American edition - "I'll prove who I am, Kingsley, after I've seen my son, now back off if you know what's good for you!"
    Harry had never heard Mr. Weasley shout like that before.
    The only time I can recall Arthur getting nervous is when he is trying to avoid confrontation with Molly. He has a healthy respect for her wrath! But remember, it was Molly who was falling apart after the World Cup incident and Arthur who was soothing her in Book 4. (page 146)

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors
    I do not think there is any reference to how he acts so you can probably write it how you want. I would suggest though, that you should think about how your own dad would react or if you have a friend with a dad similar to Author, think about them.

If his kids were around I am sure he would try not to show it. I have seen a few people write him as a dimwitted, Muggle artifact-loving, freak, but I don’t think that is right.

All dads fear something, the number one thing being someone harming their family. Since the Weasley’s are a large family, I’m sure Author would be very fierce when defending his family and would later break down in the arms of his wife. He would try very hard to not let his kids see his fear. If they were around it would probably manifest itself as anger. He might be harsh with his kids when telling them to do something and would later apologize and tell them he was frightened for their safety, or something along those lines.

As for being nervous, he strikes me as the type that would become somewhat chatty. He might try to strike up a conversation about anything in order to hide his nerves.

I hope this helps.
    ~Kristy

dancing_in_moon_pools
    hmmn...
    interesting question.
    He'd probably be the opposite of Molly.
    He might get defense like some of the kids, but he definitely wouldn't show it.
    I hope that helped a little!

kathryn_malfoy

Arthur Weasley

I have gotten the feeling that Arthur tries to stay very calm, no matter what. I think in a situation in which he was afraid, he would try to laugh it off and rationalize. He does not seem like a rash character at all.

Third Year Slytherin
    Bumper Cars in Gringotts
    Next question!

I was under the impression Arthur was a prefect, but I cannot find anything to back this up. Was he a prefect?

First Year Gryffindor
    In the Cupboard Under the Stairs
    Hi, Neville's girl! I'm glad you are writing about Arthur. He's one of my favorite characters.

In my opinion, Arthur Weasley seems like a person who overcomes his fears and calmly does the job that needs to be done. In Book 4, when the Death Eaters were terrorizing everyone at the campsite of the World Cup, Arthur was calm in the face of danger and ready to fight. (page 120) Also, he was calm and determined at the Battle of Hogwarts in Book 7, and other people must have seen duelling skills and leadership in him because he was put in charge of taking groups onto the grounds to fight. (page 611)
    However, Arthur wasn't calm when he was afraid George was hurt in Book 7 - he was kind of fierce. Remember how he yelled at Kingsley even though Kingsley probably had a wand pointed at him?
    page 74 American edition - "I'll prove who I am, Kingsley, after I've seen my son, now back off if you know what's good for you!"
    Harry had never heard Mr. Weasley shout like that before.
    The only time I can recall Arthur getting nervous is when he is trying to avoid confrontation with Molly. He has a healthy respect for her wrath! But remember, it was Molly who was falling apart after the World Cup incident and Arthur who was soothing her in Book 4. (page 146)
    As far as Arthur being a prefect, I'm stumped! It will be interesting to read what others say.

I hope I was able to help you a little.
    ~Tia

Fourth Year Gryffindor
    Arguing With The Sorting Hat
    According to the HP lexicon, the first order was created in the early 1970's. Bill was born in 1971, so around the same time of the first Order. Since Arthur and Molly just started a family, I don't think either of them would join the Order right then. I also have a question based on post 1; would Arthur be more unwilling to have his kids see him scared or crying?

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    You Need Some Driving Lessons, Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by iwannabeanauror View Post
    According to the HP lexicon, the first order was created in the early 1970's. Bill was born in 1971, so around the same time of the first Order. Since Arthur and Molly just started a family, I don't think either of them would join the Order right then. I also have a question based on post 1; would Arthur be more unwilling to have his kids see him scared or crying?
    I understand what you and Maple are both saying about Arthur and Molly staying out of the Order because they are starting a family, but I wanted to comment on the other side of things, just to be obstinate. There's no convenient time to have a war. There are always going to be things going on with home and family and career that make it impossible or at least unwise to put yourself in harm's way for a cause. That said, at the time of the second war, Arthur's job is still in a precarious position and they now have seven children they are responsible for, nearly all of them still in school. Molly is trying to manage all of that in an increasingly dangerous time, and then the youngest boy comes home with the Dark Lord's mortal enemy in tow.

What I'm trying to say here, is that I think Arthur and Molly would have still been a part of the Order. Maybe her role would have been different if she was pregnant, but this is a family who is willing to stand and even die for the right/good, as so many other characters in the series... including the Potters, and the Remus-Tonks. Bill and Fleur are starting a new life together as well, and are right there in the front lines at battle time.

Just throwing that out there for consideration. We truly can't know what they would have done (assuming its not in canon anywhere), and both sides can be argued from a characterization point of view. This is just how I see it.

Happy writing!
    Seriously cool banner by Julia

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Being Chased by Singing Dwarves with Valentines
    Umm, interesting and difficult question. I am more inclined to say crying, as it's easier to see than fear, and I mean he was probably scared for the entirety of the Second War.
    GRYFFINDOR PRIDE!
    Avvie by me, banner by TM_Wandstick.
    It matters not what one is born, but what they become.Don't let your praying knees get lazy, and love like crazy!

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors
    On the HP lexicon it says Arthur was a member of the OotP but in the 1900's only.
    Also I think Arthur wouldn't want his children to see him cry or scared as he may feel he has to stay strong for his family.
    Neville's Girl
    Next question!

I was under the impression Arthur was a prefect, but I cannot find anything to back this up. Was he a prefect?
    Looking on Lexicon I cannot find anything that suggests he was a prefect but also non against. I think this ones up to you.

~Abi~

This gorgeous banner is by TM_WandStick/Toni =)
    JOIN THE SBBC!
    ON HIATUS