Thread: Lily Evans' Parents

Azhure

Lily Evans' Parents

Hi,

Ok, I have three questions.

1) Does anyone have any ideas on what Lily's parents' names were?

2) I know that Lily's parents died before Harry was born, but do you think Lily was engaged to James at the time of their deaths?

3) How did Lily's parents die? Death Eaters? Natural? Car accident?

Thanks.

~~Azhure~~

Kcharles
    1) Does anyone have any ideas on what Lily's parents' names were? I think her mother's name might have been a flower, or she at least liked flowers. No idea about her dad though.

3) How did Lily's parents die? Death Eaters? Natural? Car accident? They (and James' parents) died naturaly.

No ideas about #2 though.
    Hope I helped!

Calico2
    1) JK never tells us Lily's parents' names, in the books or outside of them, so if you're putting them in a story you can make them up, I guess. But Mrs. Evans might have a flower name like her daughters.

2) The Evanses died sometime between 31 July 1971 and 31 October 1981, according to HP Lexicon. So this is another thing you can probably decide in your story, since it's not definite.

3) They died of natural causes.

Hopefully these answers are helpful!

-Calico

Gonz
    This is my opinion, but since we knew that Lily's parents died of natural causes I would stagger their deaths. Maybe have one got cancer while Lily was at Hogwarts and the other died sometime around the wedding.

Now, if you're including James' parents in this, since they both had to die too. I think you could get away with them dying closer together because they're older. Its common for one spouse to die not long after the other when they're getting on in years. But for the younger set of parents, defintely stagger.

cmwinters
    Quote Originally Posted by Azhure
    1) Does anyone have any ideas on what Lily's parents' names were?
    Unknown, but I would keep her mother's name something floral (or perhaps something like June) and quite possibly make her father's name Harold. Even on the Black Family Tree (where there is a Potter), we don't see variants of Harry.

2) I know that Lily's parents died before Harry was born, but do you think Lily was engaged to James at the time of their deaths?
    Likely.

With a birth date of 1960, that makes Lily & James' first year at Hogwarts Sept 1971. Which means they would have completed schooling in June 1978. Assuming a 40 week pregnancy (which is the length of a Muggle pregnancy, and we've no reason to disbelieve this, especially given that Tonks was pregnant in August and delivered by April), that would put Harry's conception on or about Hallowe'en of 1979 (yes, I sat down and counted out 280 days. No, I have no life.)

It's *reasonably* unlikely that James proposed while they were in school since they only started dating sometime in seventh year according to Lupin & Sirius Black (in OotP, when Harry goes to question Black about his and James' atrocious behaviour in Snape's Worst Memory), so even if they started dating in October 1977, dated for a year before James proposed and then got married the same day two years later and Harry was conceived that night, you still only have a *maximum* of two years. Dating much earlier than October 1977 is unlikely (and actually, dating/proposing/wedding & conception on is also fairly unlikely, because I think someone would've mentioned the dates), but any earlier than October is "at the beginning of seventh year" rather than "sometime in seventh year", in my not so humble opinion.

And as we don't have any reason to believe Harry was born prematurely, I'd say that having her parents be alive at the time of the engagement is quite probable.

However, in Sorcerer's Stone we hear that Lily & Petunia hadn't seen each other "for several years" at the time Harry was fifteen months. So it sounds like, even if Harry was a "honeymoon baby" in the truest sense, that Petunia wasn't at the wedding. Further, when Sirius Black escapes Azakaban and is mentioned on the Muggle news, Petunia's response to this is to gaze blankly out in to her neighbor's runner beans.

Sirius Black was the *best man* at the wedding. Surely she would have met him and recognised the name if she'd been there. And if she knew the best man at her sister's wedding was an escaped mass murderer, I don't think she'd be placidly perusing the produce. I would probably be running around screaming like a freaking lunatic, myself.

But Petunia doesn't seem the type to shun her sister's wedding *if her parents had been alive*, if you ask me. Her parents were "normal", it's Lily that was the "freak". And Harry doesn't see any pictures of either of his grandparents, so I'm assuming that by the time of the wedding, both sets of grandparents were dead (and could have provided additional emotional impetus for James & Lily to get married in the first place, as well as giving them something to bond over.) Because God knows they had absolutely nothing else in common and are in the top three most horribly match couples in canon *cough*

And given that James' parents were most definitively alive by the time Sirius Black was sixteen (his fifth year), and we have no other reason whatsoever to believe that either the Evanses or the Potters died before their kids got out of school, by my earlier calculations, that would have put their deaths most likely sometime in late 1978 or early 1979.

Does that answer your question quite ridiculously more completely than you'd expected?

3) How did Lily's parents die? Death Eaters? Natural? Car accident?
    Jo stated it was a "normal Muggle death". Beyond that we have no information. As far as I know, everything she said on the topic may be found here: http://www.mugglenet.com/jkrinterview3.shtml

Azhure
    Does that answer your question quite ridiculously more completely than you'd expected?
    Yes it does, but in a good way. You had some interesting points so I will read your post again, slower this time, and come up with a good conclusion!

Thanks to everyone else! You have all helped me iron out a few things.

Mods: You may lock and grave.

~~Azhure~~