Name: Rushia
House: Ravenclaw
Title: At Hogwarts
Warnings: none
Word Count: 415
Authors Note: This is set during Harry's second year, when Hagrid made those vast pumpkins for the Halloween Feast that "had been carved into lanterns large enough for three men to sit in".

EDIT: Sorry, got my wires crossed. I was convinced that "first person" was for the last weekly challenge, not this one. >.>; Fixed.

I hummed cheerily to myself as I planted pumpkin seeds in the newly ploughed earth of my garden. It had always been my favourite part of my little house, and this year, I had plans to grow some pumpkins for the Halloween Feast. Unfortunately, it was already fall. I would have plenty of mulch, but I knew that wouldn’t be enough. Just so long as Dumbledore didn’t find out what I was going to do.

The pumpkins would have the garden all to themselves. Nothing much else grew well in the fall, though the Forbidden Forest always looked very festive this time of year. Always put me in the mind of Christmas and those trees my dad used to decorate. Just beautiful. Nothing more uplifting than to walk through the forest in the fall and see a unicorn surrounded by those multi-coloured leaves.

Ah, but the spring was my favourite. I could plant just about anything, and it would grow. Like some nice, fresh vegetables for the summer when everyone was gone. Fang and I had the run of the castle then, but sometimes it got a bit lonely. The centaurs kept me company sometimes, but they were awful quiet, centaurs. Much better for just company than conversation, and I already had Fang for company. I hadn’t much liked summer since Dad died.

But the spring.... All the students were tired of being cooped up inside all winter and spent as much time as they could outside. Some of them studied, of course, but they goofed off, too—particularly those Weasley twins. I never could keep up with all their antics during the spring. Must be something about the pollen in the air that just made those boys go a little mad. But they certainly were a bundle of fun no matter the season.

I let my back rest as I finally finished planting the pumpkins, grinning up at the colouring forest. Maybe being expelled hadn’t been so bad after all. (Well, except for Azkaban, but that’s long behind me.) Dad hadn’t seen it, so he could rest in peace, and Dumbledore had let me stay here to work for him. I could think of worse things to do with my life than stay at Hogwarts forever.