Thread: Weekly Drabble Challenge - Theme: Changing Seasons - Results Posted

Hybrid View

Ebil Gato Loco Ravenclaw
    He's The Dog... He's An Animagus...

Weekly Drabble Challenge - Theme: Changing Seasons - Results Posted

Your prompt this week, if you choose to accept it, is to express in first person the changing of the seasons over the course of a year and how it affects your character, his life, his personality.

You may only use the following characters:
    1. Filius Flitwick
    2. Lisa Turpin
    3. Rubeus Hagrid
    4. Mr. Ollivander
    5. Tom, the Leaky Cauldron barkeep
    6. Rosmerta, the barmaid at The Three Broomsticks
    7. Hannah Abbot
    8. Colin Creevey
    9. Jimmy Peakes
    10. Stan Shunpike

Again, I'm looking for some originality in the use of the prompt. Do not submit a drabble with the characters opinion on each season. Give it a plot.

The following form must be used when submitting your drabble responses to this post -

PHP Code:
    [B]Name:[/B]
    [
    B]House:[/B]
    [
    B]Title:[/B]
    [
    B]Warnings:[/B]
    [
    B]Word Count:[/B]
    [
    B]Author's Note:[/B] 
    Winners will be awarded 15, 10, and 5 points respectively.
    All drabbles must be less than 500 words; All standard grammar rules, and MNFF submissions guidelines apply.

The challenge will be up for a week, and be closed exactly a week later (May 26th)

MithrilQuill and I will be judging them and posting results a couple of days later.

All questions should be referred to the Question Corner #3 - Do not post questions here. Only drabbles!

New for the Weekly Challenges:Due to a major lack of quality drabbles being submitted to the weeklies, Gato Loco will require that some real thoughtful, original submissions be posted from this moment on or you'll end up like this woman here. That's your one and only warning! XD

Other than that...have fun!

~Gato Loco~

I've left moddom/fandom...though don't be surprised if I get caught lurking once in a blue moon.
    All questions pertinent to Ravenclaw need to be sent to ToBeOrNotToBeAGryffindor
    If you wish to keep in touch, feel free to friend me on LJ - I don't friend anyone under the age of 18. Sorry!

Otherwise, so long, and thanks for all the fish!

Heather25x
    Name: Heather25x
    House: Hufflepuff
    Title: The Bare Necessities of Summer
    Warnings: None
    Word Count: 494
    Authors Note: I knew i had to write this as soon as i saw Rosmerta was an option. Nice prompt

I thought I heard the bell from the door ring, and I looked up hopefully, but it must have just been in my imagination, because the door remained shut, dust forming around the frame, letting in no light.

It was summer – the worst time of year for business in the Three Broomsticks. No one comes in around this time of year. Of course, Firewhisky and Butterbeer warm you up inside so delightfully that in the winter there’s barely enough room in this place for all the customers we get. But in summer, I don’t see a customer for weeks at a time. The one time someone does venture inside out of the bright, burning sun is when they’re stopping for water on their merry way.

And then there’s it’s affect on me. Of course I can’t close the place – what if I actually get a customer and I’m not here to serve them? So, I have to stand behind this bar, cleaning glasses that are gathering dust under the counter, watching the door, my face pale from the darkness. How much I would love to just abandon this place and run outside, soaking up that gorgeous sunlight.

So today I decided to do that. How long had it been since I’d had a customer in here, anyway? I left my jacket in here, threw down my cloth and ran outside, leaving a “closed” sign on the door.

The sun felt wonderful on my skin. The sky wasn’t blue – it was azure. And the clouds were so fluffy I just wanted to jump up there and fall asleep in them. I squinted from the brightness, having been inside for three weeks.

Suddenly I felt like I needed to free myself, and it felt like such a waste to be covering myself up from the lovely heat. I quickly removed my shoes and let out a sigh as the cobbles of the street burned my feet delightfully. I giggled – something I hadn’t done for a while. I began to feel excited. I wondered if I had the guts to do it.

No one was around, I was sure of it. It was nearly closing time for all the shops anyway. Without another thought, I gave in to the adrenaline and ripped off my blouse, and let the sun beat down on me, making me sweat. It dripped down my back, making me shiver. I loved the feeling so much. I tore off my long, billowing skirt with ease, and it felt exhilarating. Instead of feeling the breeze I expected, I just felt an astounding heat hit my legs. I closed my eyes and stood there, my arms out wide lie I was about to take off. I moved my head upwards and I could see the light through my eyes. Sweat rolled down my forehead and onto my face, like tears. I embraced it, feeling amazed, like a rebellious teenager, adoring every second, until –

‘Rosmerta?’

Damn.

The REAL Weasley Twins
    Name: The REAL Weasley Twins
    House: Gryffindor
    Title: The Photographer and His Muse
    Word Count: 430
    Authors Note: A very thought-provoking prompt. Thank you!

She is a beautiful girl. So very pretty. And she knows it.

I will tell you this: it is not easy to find a girl quite as photogenic as Luna Lovegood. Her golden mane and piercing blue eyes. Goodness, how she glows. Yet her physical form honestly seems nothing in comparison to her photographs.

Our affair began in the fall. Well, that is, I believe our affair began in the fall. I stalked her really. Creeping behind her like a cheetah about to prance on its prey. I captured her image in my camera almost everyday. When she stood beneath the red, brown, and orange trees, I could not help myself; I was obsessed. The cool weather made me mad with affection; I could not stop myself.

I had almost one hundred photographs by the end of fall. Yet, the air around Hogwarts began to change. Suddenly, the leaves died, the trees became barren, and the sun rarely broke through the thick mass of gray clouds. I had lost my golden leaves that matched Luna’s hair so perfectly. Depression began to sink in as I thought that I would have to wait another year to photograph my love. But then I saw her as snowflakes landed gently on her hair, and I finally asked her, “Would you allow me to photograph you?”

She smiled a brilliant grin and surprisingly said yes to my offer in that airy tone she has. So we began to spend time together. I shared my photographs with her and she shared her loveliness with me.

Winter ended. But this time, the change of season did not sadden me. Instead, I felt elated. Perhaps I would be able to see the sun bounce off Luna’s blonde hair once more. Throughout spring, I continued to photograph Luna. But now, I was within the picture’s frame as well. We were spending every waking moment together. Yet my happiness was fading, and I could not say why.

Then summer arrived. I photographed Luna only once, a tear rolling down her porcelain cheek. I had said goodbye to her, for I realized the reason of my waning joy. Though summer had the best affect on Luna’s physique, I could not keep myself from telling her that we were not meant to be. For I realized that every night I glanced at the first picture I took of Luna: her beneath the sturdy, earth-toned elm tree. Every night I was happiest during this time. I was not in love with her.

I, Colin Creevey, am in love with a photograph.

guiding ray of sunlight
    Name: guiding ray of sunlight
    House: Gryffindor!
    Title: Memory // Hope.
    Warnings: None.
    Word Count: 218
    Authors Note: A lovely prompt. Thank you!

A deep breath.

A sigh.

Another deep breath.

I open my eyes. The gentle breeze blows across my face, and a stand of white hair lands across my forehead. I don’t bother moving it. I have no clientele this time of year – after all, the students have all bought their supplies already, and are off learning about the wonderful world of magic.

I snort. Wonderful, indeed. Simply marvelous what people grow up to do with their magic. Kidnapping people. Torturing them. Being below ground so long, you forget the light of day. The feel of gentle rain, or a calm breeze. Just a blank, black nothingness. And the glow of a spell aimed directly at your heart, flown out from your own creation.

But no longer. I have returned to my shop. Once again, I am known as the best in my trade. And now, after fall turned to winter, and now winter has retuned to spring.

And I am free. Free to sit in the sun, and read the paper. And wait for summer, and then for fall. And wait for the children to come, and I will give them the beginning, that may turn to an end.

But a beginning none-the-less. A tiny bud of hope. And maybe, just maybe, it will not be in vain.

MerryD
    Name: MerryD
    House: Hufflepuff!
    Title: Help Wanted
    Word Count: 500
    Authors Note: Nice prompt! Umm... I don't think I ever came out and said this in the drabble, so I wrote about Tom, the barman at the Leaky Cauldron.

I watched as a woman with two kids walked straight through the pub, not even pausing to glance at the list of drinks on their way to Diagon Alley. That was what usually happened at this time of year. When the flowers begin to bloom and the sun shines through the clouds, sharing some of its warmth, the number of customers in the bar dwindled down to almost zero. There were still those dedicated few, who came every week or so, but they still came less frequently and later at night.

I let the rag I was using to clean the few dirty glasses I had, plop back into the tub of hot, soapy water. Picking up a towel, I dried the mugs and my hands. Once dry, I stored the mugs under the bar and headed to the back room to work on the accounting.

It was wearisome, doing all this by myself. What I’d really like is a younger witch or wizard to help me out, I thought. Maybe it was time to think about hiring. I don’t know... It’s been so long since I’ve worked with anyone but myself.

Another voice in the back of my head spoke up, You could always fire them if it didn’t work out. I chuckled at that thought. It did have some merit though; if it didn’t work out I could fire the extra help.

I picked up a piece of blank parchment and a quill and quickly scrawled the words: Help Wanted. It was a little plain though; the eye could easily pass over it. Pulling out my well-loved wand, I tapped the sign, and turned it a bright grass green. Now, hanging in the window, no one would miss it.

The response was immediate. A young man, Michael Corner was looking for a summer job. The good part was that summer was often my busiest season. People from all over came to the Leaky Cauldron while visiting London. It was your one-stop shop for the best rooms, drinks, and food around. The bad bit was that Michael had to go back to school for his seventh year. Pity too, he was a good barman.

My sign remained in the window. I got another response: an older man, of twenty-five, John Halley. He was lazy though. I kept him for only as long as I needed too. He lasted all of the fall, helping with all the hungry and tired back-to-school shoppers.

While John was still working for me, I found the perfect barmaid. She was bright and cheery, perfect for the upcoming holiday season. She was a hard worker and a pleasant person. I knew at once that she would be the one to replace me. On the first day of December I hired Hannah Abbot.

While she was hanging decorations and singing holiday carols to the costumers, I walked over to the window. My bright green Help Wanted sign was no longer needed. And no longer bright green.

Fourth Year Ravenclaw
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors
    Name: Phia Phoenix
    House: Ravenclaw
    Title: Painting the Summer
    Word Count: 500 - I had to truncate it, as per usual
    Author's Note: I scoured the books for ages, searching for Lisa Turpin... No mention of her, except the once! So I thought, rather than create a character to take the space of her absence, why not sculpt one to fit it? And, in case you were curious, there is a Hufflepuff boy named Summers!

The paintings on my walls are still; unlike the ones scattered over the rest of the castle they neither move nor talk. This is because I painted them, and although I know full well the potion that could animate my subjects, I don’t use it. To me, a natural snapshot of a landscape or scenario, filled with peace and tranquillity, is much lovelier than one buzzing with a malevolent life of its own.

The three other Ravenclaw girls that share my dorm never understood my need to fiddle around with paintbrush and palette – not since almost a year ago, when I first started, and they feigned interest in my works. That was when they first encountered my... shyness, for a lack of a more potent word, and the start of my classmates’ whispers... ‘A dumb Ravenclaw...’ ‘Mute? Fancy that!’ ‘Two sickles on a month?’ ‘You reckon she’ll last a month? Done!’

Yet the canvases hanging above my four-poster bed document the change of three whole seasons. Three seasons of silence, of dodging glances, of trying to disappear into walls like a ghost. Three seasons where objects of nature, my only friends, flitted in and out of my life, leaving just their image recorded with clumsy brush-strokes – spiralling leaves giving way to spiralling snow, which in turn passed to make way for unfurling buds of greenery. And now, as May opens the door for June, who brings with her Summer, my art must adapt again. The days grow longer and warmer, and students desert the cold stone corridors and common rooms for the splendour outside. Contrary as ever, I avoid it and them, accepting that my unremarkable face will simply have to remain pale.

‘Er.... Excuse me...’ I jump at the sudden address - at the mouth of my secret nook is a boy wearing Hufflepuff attire and a goofy smile. I recognise him as from some of my classes; he’s named Damien Summers. And he’s blocking my exit – my only route out, and away from him! My eyes dart frantically for a means of escape; hidden in the shadows as I am, he doesn’t see this and continues to talk.

‘I don’t think I’ve ever been here before, and I’m lost... D’you know how to get to the Entrance Hall?’ His voice trails off as he registers my lack of response. ‘Wait, aren’t you that silent girl? Radish, turnip – Turpin! Lisa Turpin!’ He smiles, idiotically proud of himself, unaware of my rigid position. ‘Come on – here, I’ll give you a hand out.’

And he extends him arm towards me and grips my elbow. He pulls me out. Terrified, I stumble forwards, but he catches me before I can fall.

‘Oops, sorry – you alright?’

I glimpse his smiling eyes and gulp; true to his name, they are full of summer. I reflect that now I know what to paint; my lips move in rusty motions, and for the first time in years I hear myself speak.

‘Yes, thanks. Entrance Hall’s this way.’

(Avvie and banner by me, quote from Fancy, by John Keats)

Savannah Hen Slytherin
    Sirius Black Entered Gryffindor Tower
    Name: coolh5000
    House: Slytherin
    Title: Watching
    Warnings: none
    Word Count: 497
    Authors Note: This was partly inspired by a book I once read in which a girl dies and becomes obesessed with watching her still living family.

There is no time here, no clocks, no watches; just existence. The only way I know how long it has been is by watching the changing seasons of my home.

It was almost the summer when I arrived; the time of year when we would usually be unearthing the patio furniture, or begging mum to buy us ice cream in her weekly shop. This summer was different however. There was no talk of holidays or summer shopping trips. Instead there was only blackness. I saw it whenever I looked at the faces of my family. For them, summer didn’t exist.

I tried to enjoy my summer; I attempted to do, alone, all the things we once did together. However, every evening I would go to my special place and watch them. I would see their sad faces and I realised that summer would never be what it once was for any of us.

Summer passed and I watched as the bright colours faded, along with the blackness I saw in my family’s faces. It was still there; whenever my mother passed my bedroom or Dennis accidentally set a place for me at the table or my name came up in conversation, I saw it. But it was less obvious - they were trying to move on. I watched as Dennis convinced our parents that he had to return to school and I watched my parents wave him off, fear and sadness etched clearly on their faces.

As autumn changed to winter, I became obsessive in my need to see them, watching them for hours every day. I spent my Christmas with them, just as I always had, only this time they did not know it. It was a strange Christmas; everything looked only half there. The tree was small and there were fewer presents underneath. The dinner was less grand than usual and I couldn’t help but notice the extra salt that was added to it through tears.

Winter became spring, a time for new beginnings, though very little seemed to change for my family. I could still see the pain on my parents’ faces when they were reminded of me. More than anything I wanted them to move on, but I knew that for that to happen I had to let go and I wasn’t ready for that.

Now it is summer again and I am still watching. I realise with a start that it has been a year since I came here. I know too that I must stop. So much of me still longs to be with them that I can’t allow myself to move on, but if I don’t then we will all be stuck like this forever. I know what I have to do.

I turn my back on the view of my old home and look at my new home. I am beginning to feel at peace here. After all, I may be dead but that shouldn’t stop me from living.

Adrian won a QSQ! Thanks to Minnabird for the beautiful banner. Click on it to read Stolen Magic - the story of the second wizarding war through a very different character's eyes.

Rushia
    Name: Rushia
    House: Ravenclaw
    Title: At Hogwarts
    Word Count: 415
    Authors Note: This is set during Harry's second year, when Hagrid made those vast pumpkins for the Halloween Feast that "had been carved into lanterns large enough for three men to sit in".

EDIT: Sorry, got my wires crossed. I was convinced that "first person" was for the last weekly challenge, not this one. >.>; Fixed.

I hummed cheerily to myself as I planted pumpkin seeds in the newly ploughed earth of my garden. It had always been my favourite part of my little house, and this year, I had plans to grow some pumpkins for the Halloween Feast. Unfortunately, it was already fall. I would have plenty of mulch, but I knew that wouldn’t be enough. Just so long as Dumbledore didn’t find out what I was going to do.

The pumpkins would have the garden all to themselves. Nothing much else grew well in the fall, though the Forbidden Forest always looked very festive this time of year. Always put me in the mind of Christmas and those trees my dad used to decorate. Just beautiful. Nothing more uplifting than to walk through the forest in the fall and see a unicorn surrounded by those multi-coloured leaves.

Ah, but the spring was my favourite. I could plant just about anything, and it would grow. Like some nice, fresh vegetables for the summer when everyone was gone. Fang and I had the run of the castle then, but sometimes it got a bit lonely. The centaurs kept me company sometimes, but they were awful quiet, centaurs. Much better for just company than conversation, and I already had Fang for company. I hadn’t much liked summer since Dad died.

But the spring.... All the students were tired of being cooped up inside all winter and spent as much time as they could outside. Some of them studied, of course, but they goofed off, too—particularly those Weasley twins. I never could keep up with all their antics during the spring. Must be something about the pollen in the air that just made those boys go a little mad. But they certainly were a bundle of fun no matter the season.

I let my back rest as I finally finished planting the pumpkins, grinning up at the colouring forest. Maybe being expelled hadn’t been so bad after all. (Well, except for Azkaban, but that’s long behind me.) Dad hadn’t seen it, so he could rest in peace, and Dumbledore had let me stay here to work for him. I could think of worse things to do with my life than stay at Hogwarts forever.

The Canon Queen Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    Hermione Couldn’t Possibly Be In Two Places At Once
    Name: mudbloodproud
    House: Hufflepuff
    Title: A Snowstorm, Memories and Love
    Word Count: 500
    Authors Note: I choose Hannah for this drabble. I had to write several versions as the first couple I wrote didn't include all the seasons before they went over the 500 word limit. I am sure this will turn into at least a one-shot or possibly a chaptered fic.

As I wipe off the table next to the front window, I watch the snow piling up outside. It is strange for there to be a snowstorm in London. I think back to my years at Hogwarts, snow was a normal thing from late December into March. I didn’t realise that I missed it.

I know I can lock up the bar and take the rest of the day off as I doubt there will be any clientčle today. However, I have never since I bought the bar from Old Tom, closed early. I go back to the office and grab my account books. I will just sit in front of the window and watch the snow as I work on the books.

Settling myself in the booth with a cup of tea, I open the account register and begin tallying my figures. I could either have someone else do this or do it by magic, but I enjoy the everydayness of it.

Within moments, my eyes stray to the scene outside the window and I find myself thinking back to my life at Hogwarts.

Though it was still summer by the calendar, arriving at Hogwarts in September, autumn was not far behind. The air turned chilly by the end of September, and by October, there would often be frost on the grass in the mornings. I always enjoyed the coolness in the air. To this day, a cool autumn day reminds me of the beginning of the Quidditch season.

Winter at Hogwarts always meant cold and snow. Though in the beginning of winter, it was something to enjoy and to frolic in, by March, we were all anxious for spring.

Spring came slowly to the castle. It was welcomed by all after being cooped up in the castle for the past few months. I can say honestly, spring is my favourite season. Everything is fresh and new.

Summer meant it was time to go home for a couple months. Though this was anticipated by most, it also meant time away from friends. We could and did however, look forward to September first and seeing each other again.

I think of the past year I have owned the Leaky Cauldron. My business reflects the school year. I would have an increase in business in late summer, and a gradual decline to almost non-existent by the middle of winter. Spring would see a steady stream of customers tired of being in all winter. Summer would start slow and increase as the school year approached.

The sound of the bell on the door startles me out of my memories. I look up to see a man covered in snow. As I rush to grab him a towel and a hot cup of tea, I realise who it is.

“Neville? What brings you out on a day like today?” I question him as I hand him a towel.

“Hi Hannah.” Neville smiles as he says my name and my mind goes completely blank.
    Terri Black (as in Mrs Sirius {aka Padfoot} Black)
    Hufflepuff Head of House