Thread: How much of the prophecy did Snape hear?

Hybrid View

Mudblood_and_Proud_of_it

How much of the prophecy did Snape hear?

I was wondering exactly what part of the prophecy Severus Snape overheard because I am writing a fic that contains that scene in it, so I need to make sure I've got it right. I have limited book access right now and can't find it in the ones I do have. Help would be greatly appreciated!

Fourth Year Ravenclaw
    McGonagall Likes My Quidditch Skills

Snape overheard

The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches...Born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies...
    The entire prophecy:

The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches...Born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies...And the Dark Lord will mark him as his equal, but he will have power the Dark Lord knows not...And either must die at the hand of the other, for neither can live while the other survives...The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord will be born as the seventh month dies...
    Hope I helped!

Kate
    IB + Senior Year = Hiatus...again
    Kate...iPoem!...iWrite!...iBanner!...Dumbledore's Navy!
    Avvie and banner by me! Please request!

Mudblood_and_Proud_of_it
    Thank you so much! Just out of curiousity, where did you find it? I scoured the fifth and sixth books, but it is highly possible I missed it. (As you can probably figure out I'm a stickler for Canon)

Fourth Year Ravenclaw

Book 5, page 841, hardcover American edition! Glad I helped

Kate

Mudblood_and_Proud_of_it
    Thank you so much! It was really stumping me.
    I have another bothersome problem. Where do you think Voldemort's....lair would have been before he killed Harry? (a.k.a. right after Snape heard the prophecy where do you think he'd go?)

I know he went to Albania but that was after Harry's death and at the point of hearing the prophecy, he was in power. Where do you think his headquarters would be?
    Thanks to all in advance!

Fourth Year Ravenclaw

Hmmm...tough question. I doubt that it would remain the same location, because with so many betrayals, spies, and capturing of the Death Eaters, even a Fidelius Charm wouldn't protect it for long.

I'm betting that he didn't have a lair, but simply used one of his followers' houses, like he did in DH. A lot of the purebloods probably had estates that were perfect for a gathering.

Kate

cmwinters
    I know generally we aren't supposed to give off-site links but I've been cleared to give Red Hen in the past.

Red Hen did a very analytical essay on Snape and the Prophecy. The essay may be found here: http://www.redhen-publications.com/Loyaulte.html

I recommend reading the entire thing (which you may have to do a couple of times because it's quite extensive), but there is a SINCERE problem with Jo saying that Snape revealed the *first* part of the prophecy to the Dark Lord, but then Trelawney later says they were "interrupted by Severus Snape", because Trelawney remembers nothing when she is in a prophecy-induced trance, and therefore wouldn't have known he was there until after she revealed the entire thing.