Thread: Pregnancy Info?

Schmerg_The_Impaler

Pregnancy Info?

A major character in one of my stories is pregnant-- not the narrator, but one of her best friends. The problem is, the only things I know about pregnancy are the things that you learn in Human Growth And Development and the stuff you can read in textbooks. I know what happens at different times in the pregnancy physically, but I'd like some anecdotes and stuff about what happens emotionally and what the strain is and stuff. I'd like to make this character's pregnancy realistic.

If any of you have been pregnant or have had close friends/relatives who were, can you give me some info/stories? My best reference at the moment is the TV sitcom "Reba."

apollo13
    Half-way through giving birth to me, my mother apparently shouted, "I DON'T WANT IT! PUSH IT BACK!" I also fell asleep half-way through being born. The Mid-wife said it was the weirdest thing that had ever happened in a birth before, and maybe it explains why I can't drag myself out of bed in the mornings.

~Evie

Gorgeous_Ginny
    Well when my mum gave birth to me she said it was painless apart from I tore part of her skin so she needed stiches.

But whe she gave birth to me little brother she was in and out of hospital and in labour for a week, my boyfriend's brother fell asleep whilst his mum gave birth and also my boyfriend got stuck halfway out and had to be pulled out by c-section.

Schmerg_The_Impaler
    Oh, just to clarify, I don't necessarily want stories about actually giving birth (that part is not shown in my story), but I'd like to know stuff about the actual nine months leading up to it and stuff like that. Thanks for telling me your stuff, though! I think I might have my protagonist quote stuff like that to scare her pregnant friend.

Flobberworm93
    Not sure if this helps, but my pregnant teacher says it makes your hair act differently.I think she said hers is greasier, but it probably changes from person to person.

The Canon Queen Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    Hermione Couldn’t Possibly Be In Two Places At Once
    Let's see, off the top of my head and from memory as my oldest is 27 and my youngest will be 23 in June;

First 3 months and last 2 months, can't be far from a bathroom.
    First 3 months queasy in the mornings, or with my daughter, at night. Though with some people then are either not sick at all, or can be sick the whole pregnancy.
    As you get towards the end, your center of gravity shifts. So walking is a challenge.
    Some people are dizzy, lightheaded or feel faint in the beginning. Some even do faint.
    From months 3 to 3 1/2 to about month 7, are usually the best part. You aren't usually sick, and you are so big you can't walk steady.
    About 4 1/2 months you feel a butterfly in your stomach. That is the baby moving. The kicks gradually get stronger. My oldest cracked one of my ribs just before he was born. He had a really strong kick. LOL
    At the end of the pregnancy, your feet tend to swell if you are on them too long.
    You may suddenly dislike foods you once loved or like foods you once hated. You will also develop cravings for foods.
    You can expect a weight gain anywhere from 25 pounds up.

Hope this helps.
    Terri Black (as in Mrs Sirius {aka Padfoot} Black)
    Hufflepuff Head of House

Fourth Year Gryffindor
    Snape Hates Me
    Oh, my...don't you know it is very dangerous to ask a mom about pregnancy? <.< You might not be able to get her to shut up!

Sooo...As Flobberworm said, it obviously changes from woman to woman. I have known some women who loved being pregnant, had no problems at all (I hate them!) I did not enjoy pregnancy. It was not good to me. I was sick for the first four months of my first pregnancy and whoever coined the phrase morning sickness was lucky if it only occurred in the morning. I vomited at least three, sometimes four times a day the first three months and it was pretty much all day. When I wasn't in the bathroom, I was breathing carefully to prevent needing to be in the bathroom. It eased up a bit in the fourth month, with only once or twice a day and my appetite actually picked up. I wanted a Burger King Whopper Jr every day. Actually, it was meat (iron) I was craving. I met a pregnant woman at the craft store who told me she was typically a vegetarian, but couldn't get enough meat since getting pregnant. (Even with the iron from the prenatal vitamins.)

Part of the nausea probably stemmed from the amazing sense of smell I developed. This seems to be common. Even nice scents were overpowering, so you can imagine if there was a foul stench....straight to the bathroom!

Emotionally, I was okay. I didn't have major mood swings or anything. Of course, I worried, (that there would be something wrong with the baby, mostly,) but I suppose I was too sick to be very emotional. I had a friend who was pregnant at the same time though, who was a walking time bomb. Her poor husband never knew if she was going to be normal or rip his head off when he walked through the door. Some times, she would just start sobbing at the cash register in the grocery store.

I did feel fairly good during the fifth, sixth and most of seventh months. I was no longer sick, had good energy, was still relatively thin, and I suppose the prenatal vitamins help. The thing with the hair is true, though mine didn't get greasy, only thicker. If I remember correctly, the hair becomes almost dormant or something so it doesn't fall out as normal each day which makes it seem thicker. Plus, again the vitamins are good, I suppose. I used to know this stuff, but having children kills brain cells.

Unfortunately, I had terrible swelling in the last trimester. I had to wear flip flops because my feet were so swollen they wouldn't fit in my shoes. The week I delivered, my toes wouldn't touch the floor, my feet were so puffed up. It was gross! My mother, who came in for the delivery, was upset with me thinking I had gained a ton of weight. I was a little concerned (scared to death) myself, but it was water. After my delivery, I could literally feel the water leaving my body and I was back to pre-pregnancy weight well within a month.

My second born was a horse. I'm only 5'4" if you measure me first thing in the morning, before gravity has a chance to shrink me over the day, but he was 9lbs 11.5oz. Ouch! My doctor was embarrassed. I had been begging him to induce me because I couldn't breathe. The baby took up every bit of space. By the end, his head was grinding on the nerves in my pelvic floor (not fun) and his butt was competing with my lungs under my rib cage. They thought I was just complaining, I guess, but the doctor really was embarrassed that they had been so off on the size (estimated by a late specialized sonogram). They really need to listen to the mom. /rant on that]

Tired of my whining yet?

Now, there was one thing I loved about being pregnant. Feeling the baby move. It is an amazing feeling. The books tell you it feels like a flutter and it does at first, when the baby is so tiny, but later, it can almost throw you off balance, if you're walking when the baby decides to roll all the way over. I don't know how to describe the feeling of an elbow nudging you--from the inside, but if you know anyone who is pregnant, get them to let you rest your hand on their stomach when the baby is active. It's hysterical when the baby kicks and the person jerks their hand away, startled. Everyone who wanted to feel of mine jumped; some even squealed as if I was about to have Alien burst out of me. It's also fun to try to match bumps with body parts. I was completely convinced my firstborn’s head was the large lump just under my ribs, but it turned out to be her bum, as revealed the next day in ultrasound.

There are also contractions, called Braxton Hicks, that occur well before the end of the pregnancy. They aren't labor contractions, but if you get a good one, you will think it is. They were sometimes embarrassing because I'd be walking along, get hit with one and gasp out loud, and have to stop in the middle of whatever I was doing. It freaks people out. *hehehe* Your stomach also gets as hard as a rock. Weird...

So, you don't want delivery tales, eh? Darn! I love to rant about that. It was a nightmare! LOL Whoever says you forget the pain...probably didn't really have it! Oh, well, let me know if you want the gory details!

I hope this was some help. I told you it was dangerous to ask.

Also, for a very funny and accurate account of pregnancy, delivery and its aftermath, in all its gore, (lol) there is a fabulous book called The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy. It is a practical guide written by a mother of five I believe. It has the helpful kind of things in it the technical manuals don't have.

edit: I didn't see mudbloodproud's post. Why can't I be that concise? *blush*

Hypatia
    Well, I think the strangest story I've heard about cravings was from a woman I used to work with. For her first pregnancy she had an irresistible urge for vanilla ice cream mixed with ketchup. (How's that for an evil ice cream flavour? ) She insisted that if mixed in the right proportion, it tasted like cinnamon. The only member of her family brave enough to try it was her grandfather; he agreed about the cinnamon thing.

Hope that helps.

cmwinters
    Schmerg, I think you want something like epregnancy's week-by-week resource guide. You'd have to sign in with an e-mail address (make a free one somewhere if that's an issue) but it tells you *week* *by* *week* what's happening.

Be advised, also, that some places have images of fetal development which can be disturbing to some people. Most are ultrasound, but occasionally if a pregnancy ends early (for whatever reason) or of there's a need for prenatal surgery they can have a photograph of the actual baby, which can be a little strange if you're not used to seeing that sort of thing.

Schmerg_The_Impaler
    Guys, you've been so helpful! Because I went on a bunch of professional websites talking about what to expect, but they didn't cover how you actually FEEL , which was what I wanted. And also, my mom got a little freaked out until I explained to her that I'm writing a story and I'm not actually pregnant at sixteen. She was so strung out, and it was hilarious, but also embarrassing until we got that cleared out.