Thread: Original Order of the phoenix

The Canon Queen Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    Hermione Couldn’t Possibly Be In Two Places At Once

Original Order of the phoenix

I have searched on Lexicon, and though I can find the members of the original Order of the Phoenix, I can't find exactly what I need. So, I need help.

1. Does anyone know when the picture of them was taken? Even a time period of a few months would be helpful.

2. There are not dates of the deaths of the members who died before the downfall of Voldemort. Does anyone have any memory of dates being given? Or have an estimate of when?

I am working on a plot bunny that jumped into my head and it is centered around James, Lily and Harry at the time of Harry's first birthday. I want to make sure of who was still alive and who had died from the Order by that point. The only one I am sure about are the McKinnon's because Lily mentions their deaths in the letter Harry finds in DH.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Terri Black (as in Mrs Sirius {aka Padfoot} Black)
    Hufflepuff Head of House

FaunaCaritas
    You didn't mention if you had the books with you, so this all might be information you already have. But here is what we know from what Moody says in chapter 9, OotP.

Marlene McKinnon and her family died two weeks after the picture was taken. Therefore Lily's letter was written shortly after the photograph was taken-- about three weeks. Since she was talking about Harry's birthday present that puts the McKinnons' murders sometime in late July or early August.

This also means that we know the photograph was taken early to mid-July.

Caradoc Dearborn vanished six months after the photograph. No body was ever found. So six months later means roughly January. That means he disappeared after Lord Voldemort's fall. I can't help thinking that is a mistake. *cringes* We know that the Longbottom's torture came as a surprise to the wizarding community. But if disappearances were still going on...?

So, remaining facts (some of these might be in the lexicon):

1. Alastor Moody still had his nose intact and his hair was less gray

2. Benjy Fenwick was present. He dies sometime afterwards. They only found bits of him.

3. Edgar Bones, a great wizard, brother of Amelia Bones, was present. He and his entire family were killed sometime afterwards.

4. Gideon and Fabian Prewett were present. Took five DEs to kill them and they fought like heros.

5. Dorcas Meadows was killed personally by Voldemort. Therefore she, positively, died between July and October 31.

6. The Longbottoms were present. They were tortured to insanity sometime after October 31... probably December or thereabouts.

7. Others who were present: Dedalus Diggle, Emmeline Vance (dies in Second War), Lupin, Sturgis Podmore (apparently looks 'young'), Hagrid, Elphias Doge (wears a 'stupid hat'), Aberforth, Sirius (with short hair), Wormtail, and Dumbledore.

Other relevant information:

Wormtail was already passing information to Voldemort at this point. He was doing so for a year before Voldemort's fall.

Severus Snape is not in the picture, even though he has secretly joined the Order by this time. It is possible that this is not the entire Order of the Phoenix. Moody says 'Original Order of the Phoenix', but it is possible that this photograph only shows some of the members. It seems unlikely, practically speaking, that they would all be in the same place at the same time.

I also wanted to point out how galacticly stupid it was to take a picture. Do any of them have brains? "Oh here, Wormtail, here's your copy. Just pass along a nice copy for Lord V. to frame and hang in his office!" Hello? They knew there was a traitor... oh well, JKR's idea, not mine.

So, you are free to place the deaths of the other members (Benjy Fenwick, Edgar Bones, Dorcas Meadows, Gideon and Fabian Prewett) sometime between mid-July and the end of October. The McKinnons died in late July or early August and Caradoc Dearborn disappeared in January.

Good luck with the story!

Edit: Hmm... JKR must have messed up then. It says in OotP, ch. 9, that Moody still had his nose in the picture.

You said below: "I can use other Order members death's that the exact date is not known. As long as I know from facts that they died right before Harry's first birthday."

From what I said above it seems very unlikely that any Order members (who were present for the picture), except the McKinnons, died between the time the photo was taken and Harry's birthday. Lily would have mentioned them in her letter to Sirius. Since she only mentioned the McKinnons I think the other five Order members died after Harry's first birthday, i.e. between early August and late October.

There is the chance that Lily simply didn't mention the other deaths, but since there were only two to three weeks between the photo and the letter that seems unlikely.

The Canon Queen Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    Hermione Couldn’t Possibly Be In Two Places At Once
    I always have my books close to me. My bookcase is within easy reach from my bed and my computer is next to the bed. However, I couldn't get the timeline straight in my head. I guess too much reading the facts over and over, it all got confused in my brain.

Thanks so much for putting it together for me. Now that I have read through it in order, I can go back to my story. I just have to figure out who's death or disappearance works into the timeline of my story.

EDIT: I printed out the info left here, and what I could find on Lexicon. But I found a mistake in the timeline.

It was in the previous post that Moody still had his nose at the time of the photo.
    However, he couldn't have.
    He lost his nose in 1980 while trying to bring in Wilkes and Rosier. Rosier was responsible for the loss of the part of his nose.

That has no bearing on what I am writing. I can use other Order members death's that the exact date is not known. As long as I know from facts that they died right before Harry's first birthday.
    Terri Black (as in Mrs Sirius {aka Padfoot} Black)
    Hufflepuff Head of House