Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 165

Thread: Harry Potter

  1. #121
    cmwinters
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TruGryf
    they really don't get into the 'you may die from this' training until Dive and Airborne quals after BUD/S is over. (And, by the way, people don't usually genuinely die as a part of their training, unless it's the last part ... unfortunately I am not being glib about this, Team SIX lost two members in their first six months of operation from training accidents, according to Rogue Warrior by Marcinko and One Perfect Op by Dennis "Snake" Chalker.)
    As I had a malfunction on my fourth jump and when I regained consciousness on the drop zone my hands and feet were still numb, I assure you I am perfectly well aware of the hazards faced in Airborne School and airborne operations.

    Quite possibly better than anyone else on this site.

    Quote Originally Posted by TruGryf
    It was for Albus "Many Middle Names" Dumbledore, 1881-1996, as posted (I think) two months ago on Jo's site.
    Oh for Gods sake, I missed that.

    *facedesk*

    Maybe the Ring actually "killed" him?

    Quote Originally Posted by TruGryf
    Okay, you seem to be reading too much Arrogant!Harry fics, or else I myself am reading too much OverlyHumble!Harry fics -- but remember how much he downplays his actual, real-world accomplishments in DADA in OotP. (As well as his whole 'I don't think I'm worth dying for' spiel at the begining of DH -- which annoyed me off with a capital P, seeing how many people died for him already to that point, plus the whole 'symbol of hope' thing he happens to be and all that.) He doesn't seem like the guy who wants special favors or special treatment, so if he feels he's not qualified, I don't see him joining. (Of course, Harry can also be persuaded that he is qualified, although many of us, myself included, seem to think that Kingsley would either be lying through his teeth or -- it just occured to me -- offering him a specialty job, like a SWAT-like Emergency Response Unit. That, he seems to be pretty good at when you take the last three books together.)
    I disagree on many counts. One, he *doesn't* do his schoolwork. Two, I agree that he gave that speech, but I don't know that he'd refuse to take the position in the Aurory if it meant getting out of school. And I absolutely disagree that he did anything resembling SWAT activity the last three books. The fiasco at the Ministry was the Death Eaters being overly arrogant, he didn't get hurt chasing Snape off because Snape wouldn't allow anyone to hurt him. And the standoff at Hogwarts was an absolute disgrace.

    Quote Originally Posted by TruGryf
    And as for the exams themselves being an indicator ... yes, this is true, tests indicate that people have knowledge, but who's to say that they're not just good test takers?
    Perhaps more appropriately, what if you're not?

    Quote Originally Posted by TruGryf
    Listen, that dive of his alone used to be part of Hell Week ... before it was banned by the Navy, if I recall correctly, for being too dangerous. And the wandering around was to stay ahead of the Snatchers and Death Eaters, so there's some stress you usually don't get during BUD/S --
    Harry didn't do any physical training, he didn't do any demolition training, he sat around and sulked and got a full night's sleep most nights. Being an idiot and jumping into ice-cold water, especially without really knowing how to swim, does not make someone a SEAL.

    Quote Originally Posted by TruGryf
    At the risk of sounding hypocritical here -- I did just downplay actual test scores in favor of actual knowledge -- she got an O on her Potions OWL, didn't she? Plus, she did come up with the proper antidote in class in HBP, something that requires an "understanding of the theory", as Miss Granger put it. But honestly, isn't it her purpose in the stories to be the perfect-student-with-crushing-anxiety?
    She understands that antidote A may counter venom B, but she doesn't understand that blended poison Z must be used to counter blend Y, because ingredients D, C, E and F cancel each other out in a certain blend.

    And quite possibly that's a fault of Snape's, because he doesn't seem to have taught them that very well. But she abjectly refused to stir counterclockwise and didn't realise that squeezing the sopophorus bean would generate more juice.

    Quote Originally Posted by TruGryf
    You're starting to sound like my brother regarding the Matrix trilogy. Have you written your alternate year seven yet?
    I'm writing it. But it's not going on MNFF.

  2. #122
    TruGryf
    Guest
    Just a few more notes on this discussion...
    Quote Originally Posted by cmwinters
    As I had a malfunction on my fourth jump and when I regained consciousness on the drop zone my hands and feet were still numb, I assure you I am perfectly well aware of the hazards faced in Airborne School and airborne operations.

    Quite possibly better than anyone else on this site.
    I had the feeling you had that sort of experience, possibly due to the fact that you cite the military more than I do. I was just sharing knowledge for anyone else happening upon this thread. (I'll admit that my military experience is exactly zero, as my knees were too bad to get into the Navy, much less SEALs or DEVGRP -- I get my knowledge of all this stuff because I read everything Marcinko and Tom Clancy ever wrote, fiction-wise. And I have scores of plot bunnies regarding my Gary-Stu -- or my Mary-Sue in one of them -- being a SEAL, but they're all atrocious on the page, so none of them have ever been posted anywhere.)
    Quote Originally Posted by cmwinters
    I disagree on many counts. One, he *doesn't* do his schoolwork. Two, I agree that he gave that speech, but I don't know that he'd refuse to take the position in the Aurory if it meant getting out of school. And I absolutely disagree that he did anything resembling SWAT activity the last three books. The fiasco at the Ministry was the Death Eaters being overly arrogant, he didn't get hurt chasing Snape off because Snape wouldn't allow anyone to hurt him. And the standoff at Hogwarts was an absolute disgrace.
    Okay, I'll give you all this -- except that he can turn in good stuff in HBP in Dark Arts, despite less-than-stellar grades from Snape due to matter of opinion (even here, the viewpoint is over Harry's shoulder, so this may be his ego manifesting). Oh, and again with the grades that I discounted in my previous post, but by OWL standards, he's Exceeds Expectations-plus in actual book knowledge. But his performance in the big duels leaves a lot to be desired -- who has he really beaten? Is it only Draco? -- so he's basically got the skills, but not the experience to use them correctly. (Or, to put it another way, knowing ain't doing, and he knows, but he hasn't done it.) So by my analysis, either there's someone from the Ministry explicitly assigned to watch his butt, or God, Dumbledore, his Mom and Dad, Sirius, and Snape are all directly intervening to keep him alive for his first year on the job -- unless, of course, Jo bows to wisdom and re-writes this in the Encyclopedia.)
    Quote Originally Posted by cmwinters
    Perhaps more appropriately, what if you're not?
    If you're referring to me here ... I am. Trust me. I'm completely lost in Networking but the midterm was multiple choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by cmwinters
    Harry didn't do any physical training, he didn't do any demolition training, he sat around and sulked and got a full night's sleep most nights.
    This did ignore the 'fleeing for his life' factor I mentioned. But honestly, this was my least favorite part of the book, if not the series, because Jo really didn't make us feel that -- she probably got stuck for an idea to keep the final showdown to the near-end of the school year and decided to pad the quest out, although in my opinion, I'd rather have read what Ginny was doing from over her shoulder, I was so bored with Harry and Hermione at that point, and who cares that she'd never left his perspective outside the first chapter to date? So I'm going to stop defending this as being significant.
    Quote Originally Posted by cmwinters
    Being an idiot and jumping into ice-cold water, especially without really knowing how to swim, does not make someone a SEAL.
    Is that a metaphor for life, or what?
    Quote Originally Posted by cmwinters
    She understands that antidote A may counter venom B, but she doesn't understand that blended poison Z must be used to counter blend Y, because ingredients D, C, E and F cancel each other out in a certain blend.

    And quite possibly that's a fault of Snape's, because he doesn't seem to have taught them that very well. But she abjectly refused to stir counterclockwise and didn't realise that squeezing the sopophorus bean would generate more juice.
    Interesting point, although how was she supposed to know that the notes in the book were written by one of the best Potions students Hogwarts had in the past 50 years? (I think Slughorn said Lily Evans was the best, although he may have been kissing up to the Boy Who Lived at that point, but Snape had to be up there.) But you're arguing, in fact, that Hermione is, in effect, a 'good test-taker'. I personally disagree with that, but the fact remains that Hermione retains everything she's ever read in a textbook, and everything she's ever heard a teacher say, so she's probably an adequate tutor in the subjects that Ron needs to learn, considering that Aurors don't likely have to invent potions or spells or things like that.

    Beth: Excellent discussion between you and cmwinters. 10 points to each. - awarded

  3. #123
    CakeorDeath
    Guest
    To change the disscussion completly

    How do you think Harry would react to Dumbledore homosexuality?

    Sorry if this has been asked before.

  4. #124
    queen fan
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by CakeorDeath
    How do you think Harry would react to Dumbledore homosexuality?
    I think Harry sort of had a feeling Dumbledore was gay. So, he wouldn't be too suprised that he's actually gay. It would cause contriversy(sp?) but Harry wouldn't react too negatively. He's already gotten to know Dumbledore, so unless he's absolutely 'gay is wrong' he won't have much of a problem with it.

  5. #125
    king_to_pine
    Guest
    As Sirius's death really hit Harry hard, I was trying to figure out how he would react if my OC Tom, whom happens to be Sirius' son (and resembles Sirius as much as Harry resembles James), showed up right after the summer following sirius's death. Would he be confused, disbeleiving, possibly angry?


    Quote Originally Posted by CakeorDeath
    How do you think Harry would react to Dumbledore homosexuality?
    If you read between the lines, there are quite a few hints of towards dumbledores sexuality, although many people may have seen them as simply eccentricity, the people who knew him as well as Harry (Though i dont beleive very many people knew him this well) may have already had a suspicsion. As for harry's reaction, I dont think harry would be the type to think less of someone for being different.

    And Besides, i don't think Dumbledore was necessarily Homosexual, But more, he simply took his Strong ideas of love to the extreme. I think he simply loved grindlewald regardless of his gender. If Grindlewald had been a girl I think Dumbledore would have loved him/her just the same. It's an odd idea to think about, but I think it fits dumbledores character perfectly.

  6. #126
    Striped_Candycane
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by CakeorDeath
    How do you think Harry would react to Dumbledore homosexuality?
    Just to add to what has been said...

    I really don't think Harry would be too worked up by Dumbledore's homosexuality. As queen fan said, he had already gotten to know him. As someone who did indeed find out a family member was homosexual and had no clue before hand, I can tell you that it didn't really bug me, because I knew the person’s personality wasn't any different. Since Harry is, at the end of DH, a mature individual with no religion mentioned in the books, I think his reaction would be along the lines of: "alright, that's interesting...why does it matter?”

    In addition, the Wizarding world apparently doesn’t have as many prejudices against homosexuality as the modern world. Blood status is the most important thing to those who are prejudice. To someone like Lucius Malfoy, for example, you can be homosexual but pureblood and therefore be perfectly acceptable. (I’ve read a quote for J.K Rowling somewhere but am having a bit of trouble tracking it down…shall edit later.) Therefore, Harry would have no influence from the Wizarding world to give him trouble accepting Dumbledore’s homosexuality.

  7. #127
    Pinkcess of the Abyss
    Guest
    I don't know if this is the right place for this. If it is the wrong place then I'm sorry!

    I'm writing Harry Potter as an old man. Very old, around 200 years old. I figured that that would be the ultimate age for a wizard, and I want him to be in an old wizard and witches home because his memory is going, etc.

    I was going to write him as quite a grumpy old man. The idea is that I would assume that Harry's character would be quite difficult to look after full time. He hates being cared for like that. I think. It's seventh book compliant, so everyone who is dead is dead, and everyone is married to who they are married to; nothing is differant from canon. (Ron and Ginny are both dead)

    But I am having problems with his character. I feel he sounds too much like Ron.

    Here is the very rough part that I have done. (I don't want to post it in the excerpt place because it is my first draft, bit of scribble to get an idea of his character.)

    “Rise and shine Harry! Do you know what day it is today?”

    “No,” you say with a grumble, “and I don’t want to know neither!”

    You’re not a morning person. You never have been, and if three lots of squawking and screaming babies didn’t make you a morning person, a couple of disgruntled nurses certainly won’t.

    “It’s Saturday, Harry!” she continues in her perky manner, as though you had not spoken at all.

    “So,” you snap, “Monday, Wednesday, Saturday: they are all the same to me!” You roll over in your bed and face the wall like a petulant child. The perky nurse falls silent, and you pray to Merlin that you’ve annoyed her enough to leave you in peace.

    “Oh Harry; your memory is simply awful. Remind me to call in a healer later on today.”

    “Don’t want to talk to no healer,” you snarl. You never did develop a love of healers. Your wife, may she rest in peace, once joked that you spent so much time with healers that you may as well become one.

    “None of that, Harry. Now, as I was saying: Saturday is the day that your family come and visit!”

    Oh yes, that’s right, you’d forgotten. You DO like Saturdays! You roll back over to face the nurse.

    “Who’s coming?” you ask. The nurse gives you a tight smile. Apparently your plan to annoy her worked.

    “I’ll tell you if you get out of bed and have some breakfast.”

    “How about you tell me, and then I’ll get out of bed and have some breakfast?”

    The nurse purses her lips and places her hands upon her hips, “I have forty other residents to get out of bed, Harry!” You continue to look at her expectantly. “Oh fine. It’s Madeline and Ryan. They’re bringing their two little girls along.”

    Madeline and Ryan? You don’t even know who they are. That is how it is nowadays. Every week a different relative comes for a visit, but quite frankly you’ve forgotten who half of them are. It isn’t your fault, between grandchildren, great grandchildren, great, great grandchildren and all the nephews and nieces grandchildren’s grandchildren, you are quite sure that even somebody with all their memories intact would have a job keeping up. You just hope that they bring chocolate frogs; you never grow tired of seeing the cards with yours and your friends’ faces on them.

    “Now, will you get up?”

    You nod and slowly push yourself up off of your mattress.

    “Is Hermione up yet?” you ask as the nurse flicks her wand, sending your best set of robes at you from your wardrobe. Hermione is the only person in this dratted place that you’ll socialise with. Hermione likes to talk of magical theories and law developments. It’s nice talking to Hermione; she doesn’t expect you to talk or answer her questions, in fact, she prefers it if you don’t.

    “Hermione is sat at the breakfast table waiting for you, Harry. She told me that if you gave me any trouble I was to call for her. Do I need to call for Hermione?”

    That gets you going! You’re out of the door and into the dining room as fast as your withered, old legs can carry you. The Hermione of two hundred and eleven, is, if possible, worse than she was at eleven.

    “You’re late,” she snaps the second you reach the table.

    “Who are Madeline and Ryan?” you ask, ignoring her scold.

    “They’re the ones that just had twins. Honestly Harry; I was telling you just yesterday! They’re my great times five grandchildren.”

    You frown. “Their teaming up on us!” you exclaim, “last week it was my side, this week it’s your side! They used to come together!”

    “Well, if you’d remember their names and stop calling them all by the name of which son or daughter of yours they resemble the most, maybe they’d be more willing to visit.”

    “I can’t remember my own name half of the time, and the other half of the time I’m trying to remember yours,” you snap. Hermione huffs and turns from you to talk to the gentleman next to her.
    I'm not looking for writing, style, or gammar help, because this is just a very bare character draft. I'm looking for help with Harry's character. How you'd envsion him as an old man, and how my vision of him might differ from yours. (I want to create a belivable old Harry, not a replica of another old character with Harry's name on it.)

  8. #128
    apollo13
    Guest
    Well, I thought he sounded rather American there... you might want your beta to help you with that... >.<

    An issue I had was with the way Harry talked about his immediate family. The way he talked about his three babies was a bit like he found them a pain and a nuisance, which is very unlike Harry. He would definately treasure his family.

    I have more but I'm afraid I don't have time... I'll come back later...

    ~Evie

  9. #129
    Pinkcess of the Abyss
    Guest
    Thanks! That was quite helpful... You're making me rethink his viewpoint in some areas...

    Well, I thought he sounded rather American there... you might want your beta to help you with that... >.<
    You think so? I'll have to re-evaluate that. (I think my Beta is American.) I'm English, but I'm North West England whereas Harry is South England, so that might be what is making his accent seem American.

    An issue I had was with the way Harry talked about his immediate family. The way he talked about his three babies was a bit like he found them a pain and a nuisance, which is very unlike Harry. He would definately treasure his family.
    He would wouldn't he? I'll re-word that... I wasn't aware it made him sound less then loving of his children. But now that you mention it, it does. I would need more background with his family, showing his love for them and how he treasures them, before using that phrase.

    Then again, is Harry a mornings person? Is that a fact I made up, and decided was real over the course of the years, or is it actually canon?

    With the rest of his family I'm thinking of him loving them, but not knowing them all. (Harry might treasure them, but it's unlikey that they will visit him all the time, and each generation is likey to become less attatched. Especially when they spend their childhoods at Hogwarts) At 200 there should be at least six or seven generations of Potters; most of them married with children. And that is just his direct line.

    Beth: Please reread the rules. Excerpts may only be 100 words long. 5 points off from Slytherin.

  10. #130
    Jade Potter
    Guest

    How would Harry deal with, well another Potter?

    Hi, so as a warning this is my first time posting in one of these Canon threads so if I mess up just tell me and I'll fix it! (thanks)

    Okay, so I've been writing this fic where Harry meets this girl, Vista Potter, and well she is from a different world where she lived his life only as a girl.

    How would he react to being given the option of letting her take the responsibility of killing Voldemort? Would he risk his memories and life just to see what she's seen?

    And this is just an extra question into Harry's character: What would his animagus form be? Would he ever be seen as a dragon?

    If anyone has advice, I'd truly appriciate it!

    Never let the Dreams go when they keep you alive...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •