Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 165

Thread: Harry Potter

  1. #111
    CakeorDeath
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by h_vic
    I think he'd definitely be very affectionate towards his children. He'd want them to have the love that he missed out on as a child and to always know that they were loved and in fact we really saw that, I think, in his interaction with Albus in the epilogue. The draw back is that he might be a little over indulgent at times, perhaps spoiling them or being reluctant to be firm enough with boundaries.

    Also, after everything that he's gone through and everyone that he's lost, I think he might be a little overprotective. I think he'd be a little reluctant to let go and let them grow up and be independent and he'd want to protect them from the world for as long as possible.

    Hope that helps,

    ~Hannah
    Thanks, I was wondering if maybe he is not very simpathetic to his childrens problems because when you have gone through a lot of trauma other peoples problems often seem insignificant in comparison.

  2. #112
    Pondering
    Guest
    Thanks, I was wondering if maybe he is not very simpathetic to his childrens problems because when you have gone through a lot of trauma other peoples problems often seem insignificant in comparison.
    I don't think Harry would be like that as a father. I think he would be happy that his children had the chance to live a normal life and would help them with any problems they have.

    --Tash

  3. #113
    pokethedevil
    Guest
    I like to think that Harry would be a great dad and it definitely shows in the last chappie of Book 7.
    I think he'd be a bit over protective of his childrent but Ginny's have to hold him back there.

  4. #114
    bertiebott12
    Guest
    I honestly think that Harry would want them to have fun in life, and know that a parent is always there for him, unlike his sad childhood. He obviously seems to know how to handle his children, and seems very frank and honest with them.

    I don't think that he would be overprotective, because he never like adults that were. Of course, he wouldn't be a perfect father, but would compare their childhood and parents to his, and make corrections from there.

    *Claire*

  5. #115
    xombie
    Guest
    Harry would definitely be a great dad.

    he would certainly remember how he felt as a child, when he was treated cruelly by the dursleys. he would also remember his longing for his own dad who was never there to support him.

    so yeah. harry would definitely be very supportive of his children and a loving father.

  6. #116
    cmwinters
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TruGryf
    As do I (yeah, the man's an outright natural at DADA, but what about everything else an Auror needs to know? And it seems to imply he doesn't even go train, otherwise it'd say he started training as an Auror at age 17). Then again, this is the second time I've heard it said that Harry doesn't go back to school, although I could never find the first one on the web ... so it's probably official.
    Jo said it in an interview.

    (Not that *that* makes it make any more sense . . . )


    Quote Originally Posted by TruGryf
    Then again, it's 'official' that we were pretty much watching a ghost or apparition throughout HBP, because Jo posted a Chocolate Frog card for him that gave his year of death as 1996, when the finale of HBP was late May or June of 1997.
    Wait, what? Who died in 1996? (This was before I joined the fandom, so I'm clueless).

    Quote Originally Posted by thesims
    I think the auror department would need a lot of help rounding up the remaining death eaters. Since Harry knows who most of the death eaters are he could help them.
    Ooh look, unSorted newbie!

    Anyway. Back to business. I agree the Auror department is probably a little scarce on people, however, I disagree that Harry knows who most of the Death Eaters are. He knows who SOME of them are, he knows who SOME of the ones who returned the night the Dark Lord was resurrected are. But the Dark Lord didn't name all their names, and they were cloaked and masked. Further, he doesn't need to go out in the field to give names in an interview.

    It's more likely that the Order has a more (but not completely) comprehensive list of Death Eaters from Snape, but even *his* list wouldn't be complete.


    Quote Originally Posted by thesims
    The auror department probably thinks Harry has enough training (because he's Harry Potter, and because he just killed Voldemort when noone else could).
    Yes, the DMLE is probably willing to overlook Harry's relative inexperience, even more than is probably warranted. However, this too is very ill-advised. (I crave everyone's forgiveness for such a horribly americanised expression, but I do trust the Brits will come in and amend the appropriate one!) It's *exactly* like a high schooler deciding he wants to become a US Navy SEAL, joining JROTC for a couple of years, dropping out of school and then by chance killing Osama bin Laden, and the SEALs saying "well, hey. He doesn't need to pass a physical, he doesn't need to pass an aptitude test, he doesn't need to pass a fitness test, he doesn't need to go through basic training, demolition school, Hell Week (I didn't name it . . . ), dive school, jump school, HALO school, doesn't need to get any specialised job training, hey, we'll take him and put him on the job immediately!"

    The Aurors require a series of NEWTs, Potions among them, and Harry possesses little real personal talent for Potions. He doesn't understand why ingredients combine in a certain way and even during his OWLs, when he takes the exams, he is only confident that he didn't *fail*, not that he got an O, and all he had to do was follow the instructions exactly. He also didn't learn poisons and antidotes. He didn't complete Transfiguration, another class he's not particularly good at. The Aurory is not only completely overlooking that he's not qualified, they're not even training him. It's stupid, and dangerous.


    Quote Originally Posted by thesims
    If Ron and Hermione didn't go back to Hogwarts either, they were probably helping them too, though I heard only Ron became an auror,
    Pardon me while I roll my eyes in JKRs general direction; this really irritated me.

    Anyway, initially, she did say he became an Auror but then like, the next day she said he was running WWW with George.

    *rolls eyes again*

    Anyway, having said that, they can't really "help" him; there's more to being an Auror than traipsing about about England on the endless camping trip of pointlessness. It's really like a combination law-enforcement/soldier thing. You can have team-mates and friends, but they aren't going to do your job for you.


    Quote Originally Posted by thesims
    but Hermione was in the magical law enforcement. Harry also knows that the death eaters were meeting at the Malfoy Manor, and could tell them with that.
    No, Hermione joined the Department of Magical Creatures. Another thing that aggravated me. I personally think she'd be much better off as an Unspeakable.

    As for Harry's abilities as a father, I think he'd be affectionate and doting and would read to them and play with them and probably encourage them to raise a bit of a ruckus a la Fred & George/MWPP. And probably indulgent the way Arthur is. I don't think he'd be at all standoffish toward them.

  7. #117
    TruGryf
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cmwinters
    Wait, what? Who died in 1996? (This was before I joined the fandom, so I'm clueless).
    Doing my math, Sirius died towards the end of the 1995-96 school year (given the timeline established in Chamber of Secrets and confirmed by Deathly Hallows, which establishes the death of Lily and James to be Halloween 1981). As stated, Dumbledore was killed by Snape, by Albus's request, in May or June of 1997.

    Quote Originally Posted by cmwinters
    Yes, the DMLE is probably willing to overlook Harry's relative inexperience, even more than is probably warranted. However, this too is very ill-advised. (I crave everyone's forgiveness for such a horribly americanised expression, but I do trust the Brits will come in and amend the appropriate one!) It's *exactly* like a high schooler deciding he wants to become a US Navy SEAL, joining JROTC for a couple of years, dropping out of school and then by chance killing Osama bin Laden, and the SEALs saying "well, hey. He doesn't need to pass a physical, he doesn't need to pass an aptitude test, he doesn't need to pass a fitness test, he doesn't need to go through basic training, demolition school, Hell Week (I didn't name it . . . ), dive school, jump school, HALO school, doesn't need to get any specialised job training, hey, we'll take him and put him on the job immediately!"
    The Aurors require a series of NEWTs, Potions among them, and Harry possesses little real personal talent for Potions. He doesn't understand why ingredients combine in a certain way and even during his OWLs, when he takes the exams, he is only confident that he didn't *fail*, not that he got an O, and all he had to do was follow the instructions exactly. He also didn't learn poisons and antidotes. He didn't complete Transfiguration, another class he's not particularly good at. The Aurory is not only completely overlooking that he's not qualified, they're not even training him. It's stupid, and dangerous.
    Got to agree with you on this -- despite the fact that I don't think it's the NEWTs themselves that are really important for this job, it's the knowledge from them. (The same way that I think my coming AAS in Computer/IT is effectively useless regarding getting jobs, but the A+ and Net+ certifications, and the skills I pick up while getting them, are the key reason for the study.) The only reason I can understand Harry would join up right after the war would be for public relations purposes -- and yes, he likes Kingsley far better than the previous three Ministers, but does he like him enough to take a job that he's not qualified to take?
    Although some people would consider Harry's ordeal during DH to be the equivalent of BUD/S (Basic Underwater Demolition/SEALS) ... but only based on stress levels, not any sort of training for non-Voldy opponents. And anyway, did Harry really kill Voldemort? It was more like Voldemort committed unintentional suicide-by-Harry the way Jo wrote it.
    Quote Originally Posted by cmwinters
    Anyway, initially, she did say he (Ron) became an Auror but then like, the next day she said he was running WWW with George.
    She said Ron eventually joins the Auror division. For some reason, I buy this more than I buy Harry joining straight-up, because, again, it's the knowledge he really needs, not the NEWTs, and who is he dating-slash-married-to? The best Potions student in their class (and possibly several other classes), not to mention the best anything-else-that-isn't-Dark-Arts in their class. So I can see Ron studying up with Hermione while helping George run the shop -- if only to make her happy for one reason or another -- and then finally entering training.
    [QUOTE-cmwinters]It's really like a combination law-enforcement/soldier thing. You can have team-mates and friends, but they aren't going to do your job for you.[/QUOTE]
    Actually, in combat, the team is everything. They will do everything for you, because you will do everything for them, but really everyone does it all for the team. Then again, this may be more appropriate for the Richard Marcinko fandom (if there is one).
    Quote Originally Posted by cmwinters
    No, Hermione joined the Department of Magical Creatures. Another thing that aggravated me. I personally think she'd be much better off as an Unspeakable.
    And Jo says she transfers to the DMLE. Which seems awfully indecisive of Hermione, considering ... how on Earth is she supposed to completely turn around 1000 years of prejudice regarding house-elves and work her way up in the DMLE in 19 years?
    OK, it's official -- Jo's notes after DH have become The Teeth of the Tiger (by Tom Clancy) to me; in other words, the story is so stretched by the inclusion of said material that I almost have to ignore it, otherwise my picture of the story universe collapses in on itself.

  8. #118
    Ghoul in Pajamas
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pokethedevil
    I like to think that Harry would be a great dad and it definitely shows in the last chappie of Book 7.
    I think he'd be a bit over protective of his childrent but Ginny's have to hold him back there.
    I don't think he would be overprotective because he'd let his kids have fun and have the childhood he missed out on. I think Ginny would be the overprotective one and take after her mother. Harry wouldn't let the kids run wild like Arthur does but Ginny would still be the one to keep them in line.

  9. #119
    cmwinters
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TruGryf
    Doing my math, Sirius died towards the end of the 1995-96 school year (given the timeline established in Chamber of Secrets and confirmed by Deathly Hallows, which establishes the death of Lily and James to be Halloween 1981). As stated, Dumbledore was killed by Snape, by Albus's request, in May or June of 1997.
    Who was the wrong Chocolate Frog card posted for?

    Quote Originally Posted by TruGryf
    Got to agree with you on this -- despite the fact that I don't think it's the NEWTs themselves that are really important for this job, it's the knowledge from them. (The same way that I think my coming AAS in Computer/IT is effectively useless regarding getting jobs, but the A+ and Net+ certifications, and the skills I pick up while getting them, are the key reason for the study.) The only reason I can understand Harry would join up right after the war would be for public relations purposes -- and yes, he likes Kingsley far better than the previous three Ministers, but does he like him enough to take a job that he's not qualified to take?
    He probably thinks he's entitled to. He's never set much store by his schoolwork. And while the exams themselves aren't important, they theoretically show that you've actually learned the material.

    Quote Originally Posted by TruGryf
    Although some people would consider Harry's ordeal during DH to be the equivalent of BUD/S (Basic Underwater Demolition/SEALS) ...
    . . .

    they wandered around *camping* . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by TruGryf
    She said Ron eventually joins the Auror division.
    Oh god, did she change her mind *again*?

    Quote Originally Posted by TruGryf
    The best Potions student in their class (and possibly several other classes), not to mention the best anything-else-that-isn't-Dark-Arts in their class.
    Actually, Hermione wasn't all that great in Potions. She's good at following exact directions, but not terribly innovative, and I'm not even entirely sure that she' be able to identify where an ingredient was *missing* on a list.

    Quote Originally Posted by TruGryf
    Actually, in combat, the team is everything. They will do everything for you, because you will do everything for them, but really everyone does it all for the team. Then again, this may be more appropriate for the Richard Marcinko fandom (if there is one).
    Yes, but you can't *not do* your job or *not know* it, which in Harry's case, is certainly the problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by TruGryf
    OK, it's official -- Jo's notes after DH have become The Teeth of the Tiger (by Tom Clancy) to me; in other words, the story is so stretched by the inclusion of said material that I almost have to ignore it, otherwise my picture of the story universe collapses in on itself.
    All of Deathly Hallows was like that to me.

  10. #120
    TruGryf
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cmwinters
    Who was the wrong Chocolate Frog card posted for?
    It was for Albus "Many Middle Names" Dumbledore, 1881-1996, as posted (I think) two months ago on Jo's site.
    Quote Originally Posted by cmwinters
    He probably thinks he's entitled to. He's never set much store by his schoolwork. And while the exams themselves aren't important, they theoretically show that you've actually learned the material.
    Okay, you seem to be reading too much Arrogant!Harry fics, or else I myself am reading too much OverlyHumble!Harry fics -- but remember how much he downplays his actual, real-world accomplishments in DADA in OotP. (As well as his whole 'I don't think I'm worth dying for' spiel at the begining of DH -- which annoyed me off with a capital P, seeing how many people died for him already to that point, plus the whole 'symbol of hope' thing he happens to be and all that.) He doesn't seem like the guy who wants special favors or special treatment, so if he feels he's not qualified, I don't see him joining. (Of course, Harry can also be persuaded that he is qualified, although many of us, myself included, seem to think that Kingsley would either be lying through his teeth or -- it just occured to me -- offering him a specialty job, like a SWAT-like Emergency Response Unit. That, he seems to be pretty good at when you take the last three books together.)
    And as for the exams themselves being an indicator ... yes, this is true, tests indicate that people have knowledge, but who's to say that they're not just good test takers? (As a matter of fact, that's saving my sorry butt this semester .) But basically, I was saying that it's more important to actually know the subjects than to get the score, as relates to the real world. (Like, I got a 1280 on my SAT's, but does my employer care? No, they'll care only if I actually know how to get past a BSOD on a seemingly-perfectly-operating file server.)
    Quote Originally Posted by cmwinters
    they wandered around *camping* . . .
    Listen, that dive of his alone used to be part of Hell Week ... before it was banned by the Navy, if I recall correctly, for being too dangerous. And the wandering around was to stay ahead of the Snatchers and Death Eaters, so there's some stress you usually don't get during BUD/S -- they really don't get into the 'you may die from this' training until Dive and Airborne quals after BUD/S is over. (And, by the way, people don't usually genuinely die as a part of their training, unless it's the last part ... unfortunately I am not being glib about this, Team SIX lost two members in their first six months of operation from training accidents, according to Rogue Warrior by Marcinko and One Perfect Op by Dennis "Snake" Chalker.)
    Quote Originally Posted by cmwinters
    Oh god, did she change her mind *again*?
    It was in the post I first read, about three weeks after the book came out. I don't think she's changed her mind since then.
    Quote Originally Posted by cmwinters
    Actually, Hermione wasn't all that great in Potions. She's good at following exact directions, but not terribly innovative, and I'm not even entirely sure that she' be able to identify where an ingredient was *missing* on a list.
    At the risk of sounding hypocritical here -- I did just downplay actual test scores in favor of actual knowledge -- she got an O on her Potions OWL, didn't she? Plus, she did come up with the proper antidote in class in HBP, something that requires an "understanding of the theory", as Miss Granger put it. But honestly, isn't it her purpose in the stories to be the perfect-student-with-crushing-anxiety?
    Quote Originally Posted by cmwinters
    Yes, but you can't *not do* your job or *not know* it, which in Harry's case, is certainly the problem.
    I think I covered this already in the second point.
    Quote Originally Posted by cmwinters
    All of Deathly Hallows was like that to me.
    You're starting to sound like my brother regarding the Matrix trilogy. Have you written your alternate year seven yet? (I've already done my alternate after-The Bear and The Dragon re Tom Clancy ... I'm debating whether or not to heavily rationalize Jo's notes for my Ginny's-year-seven or to just slap an AU on it.) Because regarding my metaphor, I see these things as props in the mine of our imagination, to keep the walls from collapsing in and burying the gold that is the stories we love. (Deep, or unfathomable?)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •