Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Harry Potter

h_vic
    The only times in canon we've ever seen Harry cry have been when people have died and so I think it would be unlikely for him to become teary-eyed, because he tends to bottle up his emotion a little more than that, generally. I think it would be very likely for him to share an intimate smile with Ginny and maybe squeeze her hand or something and inside he might be struggling with a lot more emotion, but I'm not sure that it would really show to the extent of welling-up. Also, I would imagine Harry would be far more pleased and excited than overly emotional about it anyway.

Just my take on it. Hope it helps.

~Hannah

Second Year Gryffindor
    Beset by Owls
    Does anyone think it would be OOC or overdramatic for Harry to become slightly teary eyed when he and Ginny "see" their children for the first time? ("Seeing" Them is the Wizarding equivloent of a Muggle Ultrasound)
    I agree completely with Hannah. Harry rarely cries, and I don't think he is the type to go soft over something like an ultrasound. He could kiss Ginny and hug her, but that would be about it. I don't think he would ever cry over something like that.

Maybe if Ginny was giving birth and the baby was in his hands he would be more emotional, but an ultrasound isn't really tangible, and although touching and exciting, not really something fathers (in general) get teary-eyed over.

cmwinters
    It may depend on when they "see" the baby, and quite frankly how good whatever spell it is that they're using.

Before about . . . twenty weeks, maybe? Human fetuses kind of don't really look all that human on a two-dimensional sonogram. If your tech is *really* good and you've got a *really* good imagination *and* have an idea of what you're looking at, you may be able to differentiate between head and body, and possibly even between arms versus legs, but the head is "abnormally" large, compared to a full-term baby. At eight weeks, the hands and feet are still webbed and the body still has a tail because the spine isn't fully formed.

Now, on the new sonograms (I think they're calling them four dimensional), you can get a pretty good shot of the face, and if they can do them at 12 weeks, potentially you could see what is clearly a human looking face, even if the head is half the size of the entire body.

The National Institute of Child and Human Development has a project called the Visible Embryo, the website for which may be found here, but be advised that some people find embryology and the associated images to be disturbing, so don't click that link if you're likely to be bothered by such material.

Anyway, back to my point, which was, the earlier and/or less clear the image is, the more likely Harry, who has probably NOT studied human embryology, is to look at the image and go "huh"? A later or more clear image, he's likely to be much more excited, although I think crying about it - even tears of joy - is probably pushing it.

bling_baby
    Does anyone think it would be OOC or overdramatic for Harry to become slightly teary eyed when he and Ginny "see" their children for the first time? ("Seeing" Them is the Wizarding equivloent of a Muggle Ultrasound)
    I agree with people when they say that she wouldn't cry. HOWEVER, he does have emotions so perhaps you can write about how how happy it made him or something like that. I think the only time he would get teary eyed if anything perhaps when the baby is actually born - if it is born in your story...

witch6
    Hey!

According to the 'wizard of the month' card on jkrowling.com, harry joined the auror department when he was 17. So, do you think he did not take any training or go back to hogwarts after killing Voldemort? I mean he was much older than 17 (17 plus 9 or 10 months i mean) when he actually killed voldemort or do you think jo took the months he spent trying to destroy the horcruxes as auror experience? so, does this mean Ron and Hermione did not go back to school either? (i know this isn't the place to ask this but i think it shows the relationship they had with him, so i'll just let it be here) I'm sorry if these questions have been discussed before as i didn't check the whole thread (sorry for being so impatient but i'm in a hurry right now)

cmwinters
    Quote Originally Posted by witch6
    According to the 'wizard of the month' card on jkrowling.com, harry joined the auror department when he was 17. So, do you think he did not take any training or go back to hogwarts after killing Voldemort? I mean he was much older than 17 (17 plus 9 or 10 months i mean) when he actually killed voldemort or do you think jo took the months he spent trying to destroy the horcruxes as auror experience? so, does this mean Ron and Hermione did not go back to school either? (i know this isn't the place to ask this but i think it shows the relationship they had with him, so i'll just let it be here) I'm sorry if these questions have been discussed before as i didn't check the whole thread (sorry for being so impatient but i'm in a hurry right now)
    The Lexicon has the end of the war be in like, May, so it's possible that Harry joined the Auror department immediately after that. But it certainly doesn't seem that he went back to school. Which I think is patently ridiculous, but . . . whatever.

TruGryf
    Quote Originally Posted by cmwinters
    The Lexicon has the end of the war be in like, May, so it's possible that Harry joined the Auror department immediately after that. But it certainly doesn't seem that he went back to school. Which I think is patently ridiculous, but . . . whatever.
    As do I (yeah, the man's an outright natural at DADA, but what about everything else an Auror needs to know? And it seems to imply he doesn't even go train, otherwise it'd say he started training as an Auror at age 17). Then again, this is the second time I've heard it said that Harry doesn't go back to school, although I could never find the first one on the web ... so it's probably official. Then again, it's 'official' that we were pretty much watching a ghost or apparition throughout HBP, because Jo posted a Chocolate Frog card for him that gave his year of death as 1996, when the finale of HBP was late May or June of 1997. So I tend to think these cards need some work before we can accept them as J-canon (to borrow the Star Wars terminology, where anything from the original source, i.e., the movies, is called G[eorge]-canon).
    I hope that this will be settled in the Encyclopedia (I suspect that since the Auror ranks are near-inverse-decimated, Shacklebolt needs all the help he can get, and he gets Harry onboard with the promise of a lot of on-the-job training). Although I suspect that whatever it says, there'll be enough people who hate it that MNFF will have to add the tag 'Encyclopedia Disregarded' for the fics.

thesims
    I think the auror department would need a lot of help rounding up the remaining death eaters. Since Harry knows who most of the death eaters are he could help them. The auror department probably thinks Harry has enough training (because he's Harry Potter, and because he just killed Voldemort when noone else could). If Ron and Hermione didn't go back to Hogwarts either, they were probably helping them too, though I heard only Ron became an auror, but Hermione was in the magical law enforcement. Harry also knows that the death eaters were meeting at the Malfoy Manor, and could tell them with that.

CakeorDeath
    What so you think Harry would be like as a dad?

What would his strenghs/weaknesses be?

h_vic
    I think he'd definitely be very affectionate towards his children. He'd want them to have the love that he missed out on as a child and to always know that they were loved and in fact we really saw that, I think, in his interaction with Albus in the epilogue. The draw back is that he might be a little over indulgent at times, perhaps spoiling them or being reluctant to be firm enough with boundaries.

Also, after everything that he's gone through and everyone that he's lost, I think he might be a little overprotective. I think he'd be a little reluctant to let go and let them grow up and be independent and he'd want to protect them from the world for as long as possible.

Hope that helps,

~Hannah