Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harry Potter

Hybrid View

StaceyLC

Harry Potter

We all know that Harry can be sort of... um... stubborn when it comes to Snape. However, I think that there is probably a good bit of spellwork in the Prince's potion book that might come in useful to Harry as he's trying to find the horcruxes. The real question is, will he swallow his pride enough to do it? That's kind of where I'm stuck at in my fic. I really want him to go retrieve the book, whether he likes the person who invented the spells or not, because Harry really needs to, well, grow up and get to work. And I don't think he should toss anything aside, even if the spells were created by someone he hates. On the other hand, part of me thinks it would be completely "Harry" of him to just go against his better judgement and ignore the book completely. I'd like to know everyone's thoughts on this. It won't throw a huge wrench in my plot if it turns out that most people think he would leave it alone, but it's somewhat important for later. Thanks

HPLoverForever
    You definately seem to be stuck between a rock and a hard place here! Personally, I would have Harry go get it. You're absolutely right. He DOES tend to go against his better judgement a lot of the times, but now that so many people that he loves have died, he's probably learned his lesson when it comes to stuff like that. Although one of the people he hates most created it, he must retrieve it. Just my opinion

HarryPotter is my LIFE
    I think that after a little convincing he might do it. Hermione almost always sees the sensible side of things. And while Harry would scorn the book, never wanting help from Snape, Hermione could talk sense into him, telling him that it would help.

EDIT: After coming back to this thread and seeing that many disagreed with me, I thought i should back up my idea with reasoning. They way I see it, is that Hermione is a sensible girl. She has been positively against this book from the start, even more so once Harry used the curse on Draco. But think, times are becoming desperate, the trio may be setting out on a trip to find Voldemort's horcruxes. Hermione, being sensible, will probably battle it out in her head. One side saying the book is bad, she knew it from the start and they should not use it. The other side contradicts, reminging her of what those spells can do. If she's being attacked by a death eater, she'd want a chance to survive, no? In my opinion Hermione would in the end decide that it would be best to try to get Harry to accept the book, after what happened to Draco, they all know the damage and can probably gauge out when to use it/

PadfootsGirl
    No offense, HarryPotter is my LIFE, but I don't see Hermione encouraging Harry to get the book again, since she was so against him using it while he had it. If for some reason she realized he desperately needed it and nothing else would suffice, she may convince him to get it, but I don't see her suggesting he get it just for kicks.

Ron, on the other hand, I can see convincing Harry that getting the book would be a good idea.

winky123
    I don't think Harry would retrieve the book if he considered it as accepting help from Snape, however if he thought using it would spite him, that could work.

Near the end of HBP Harry saw just how much Snape couldn't stand the thought of Harry using his own spells against him (Sectumsempra). Perhaps Harry could retrieve the book with the intention to see if there are any more spells he could use against Snape (incase he runs into him while searching for the Horcruxes), and then he ends up using it for whatever reason you need him to have it?

miss padfoot
    Is it necessary for you to use the Potions book? Maybe you could make up another book that Hermione came across and that helped them.

If you want to stick with the Potions book, then is Harry should return to Hogwarts at some point of time and for that the school needs to be open.

Maybe he returns to Hogwarts to look for the Horcruxes and stumbles upon the book in the Room of Requirement? Personally, I'd suggest you have Hermione persuade him. Though Hermione hated using the book throughout HBP, it was mainly because she considered him to be cheating in the class. But now the situation is entirely different. Harry needs all the help he can, so Hermione can be someone who can persuade him use the fic.

Or, Harry knows how much Snape hates using his own spells against him. So, just to infuriate Snape, Harry decides to make use of his spell?

bertiebott12

Harry

Quote Originally Posted by StaceyLC
    We all know that Harry can be sort of... um... stubborn when it comes to Snape. However, I think that there is probably a good bit of spellwork in the Prince's potion book that might come in useful to Harry as he's trying to find the horcruxes. The real question is, will he swallow his pride enough to do it? That's kind of where I'm stuck at in my fic. I really want him to go retrieve the book, whether he likes the person who invented the spells or not, because Harry really needs to, well, grow up and get to work. And I don't think he should toss anything aside, even if the spells were created by someone he hates. On the other hand, part of me thinks it would be completely "Harry" of him to just go against his better judgement and ignore the book completely. I'd like to know everyone's thoughts on this. It won't throw a huge wrench in my plot if it turns out that most people think he would leave it alone, but it's somewhat important for later. Thanks

I agree completly with StaceyLC in the fact that Harry needs to get over his hatred for Snape. I also believe that one of the biggest qualities in Harry throughtout the books is love. But to me it looks like that (even though he still has a lot of it) it's decreasing. That is not going to help him defeat Voldemort. After all, that is "...the power that the Dark lord knows not."

AurorGirl101
    Back to Harry being a father for a minute.

Does anyone think it would be OOC or overdramatic for Harry to become slightly teary eyed when he and Ginny "see" their children for the first time? ("Seeing" Them is the Wizarding equivloent of a Muggle Ultrasound)

Thanks in advance!!

h_vic
    The only times in canon we've ever seen Harry cry have been when people have died and so I think it would be unlikely for him to become teary-eyed, because he tends to bottle up his emotion a little more than that, generally. I think it would be very likely for him to share an intimate smile with Ginny and maybe squeeze her hand or something and inside he might be struggling with a lot more emotion, but I'm not sure that it would really show to the extent of welling-up. Also, I would imagine Harry would be far more pleased and excited than overly emotional about it anyway.

Just my take on it. Hope it helps.

~Hannah

Second Year Gryffindor
    Beset by Owls
    Does anyone think it would be OOC or overdramatic for Harry to become slightly teary eyed when he and Ginny "see" their children for the first time? ("Seeing" Them is the Wizarding equivloent of a Muggle Ultrasound)
    I agree completely with Hannah. Harry rarely cries, and I don't think he is the type to go soft over something like an ultrasound. He could kiss Ginny and hug her, but that would be about it. I don't think he would ever cry over something like that.

Maybe if Ginny was giving birth and the baby was in his hands he would be more emotional, but an ultrasound isn't really tangible, and although touching and exciting, not really something fathers (in general) get teary-eyed over.