Thread: Prefects and Head Girls

Evester

Prefects and Head Girls

Hi all, I have a quick question.

We know that two students in each house are made prefect when they are in 5th year. Do they continue to hold this role until they are finished at Hogwarts- meaning there would be six prefects in each house at any given time? Or are there only two prefects for each house, and they change each year? I don't have my HP books with me (!!) at college so I can't check to see if Ron and Hermione ever had prefect duties in their 6th year.

I personally like the only two prefects theory, but I want to see what the accepted notion is/ what canon says.

In addition, does anyone know who the Head Girl opposite Percy Weasley in PoA was? Was it Penelope Clearwater? I don't think there is anything in canon about it- is that the accepted norm?

These things are going to be important in my story, so I want to get it right!

Thanks in advance!

Mudblood_and_Proud_of_it
    I've come to the rescue! *riffles through HBP furiously, trying to prevent self from sitting down and simply reading the book through*
    Okay, here. For everyone checking me, page 133 of the Hardback edition of HBP.

"We can't, Harry," said Hermione, looking apologetic. "Ron and I've got to go to the prefects' carriage first and then patrol the corridors for a bit."

So, I'd gather from that quote that they are still prefects in their sixth year. I would suppose that, yes that means there are six prefets at a time. Also, *madly riffles through book again for like ten minutes* I can't find it, but does anyone remember how Hermione takes the Fanged Frizbee away from a second year because she is a prefect and Ron takes it and says something along the lines of "excellent, I've always wanted one of these" and Lavender cracks up?
    So that's more, though slightly weaker proof.

SiriuslyMental
    Yes, they remain Prefects until the end of their days at Hogwarts, if they do not rise to Head Boy/Girl.

Evester
    Thanks guys! I realized after that last post that in CoS, Percy and Penelope were referred to as prefects, and they would have been 6th years. Oh well. Thanks again.

Does anyone else have thoughts on if Penelope was Head Girl?

The Canon Queen Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    Hermione Couldn’t Possibly Be In Two Places At Once
    I have searched to try to find a list of Head Girls and Boys, but I can't find a list. However, Lexicon lists Penelope as Prefect until she graduates. She is not listed as becoming Head Girl.
    I will keep looking. I don't remember a Head Girl being mentioned in the books when Percy was Head Boy.
    Terri Black (as in Mrs Sirius {aka Padfoot} Black)
    Hufflepuff Head of House

Kcharles
    Just wanting to add something here, there might not be 6 prefects in all the houses all the time, there might be as few as four, because of Head Boy and Girl.

And as for putting Penelope in as Head Girl, I've seen it many times before, and unless you can find other info, I think it'd be fine if you put her in as Head Girl.