Contains DH spoilers!

We know next to nothing about Charlie, but I believe constructive conjecture is possible. I have several questions about his character. I will follow up with my own answers, but if you disagree (or have something to add) please challenge my views and help me understand him better.

1. How do you think Charlie dealt with Fred's death?

2. If he had lost more siblings would he have behaved differently?

3. What do you think Charlie did after the War?

4. What kind of relationship did he have with his brother Bill?

5. Choose one trait from each member of his family and apply it to him, in order to sketch his personality. He is the Weasley we know least about, but is it possible to guess his character by looking at his family?

-----

My answers:

1. How do you think Charlie dealt with Fred's death?

---I get the sense that Charlie, while being very close to the twins, was closer to Bill. He would feel all the grief that anyone would feel upon loosing a sibling, but healing would not be nearly as difficult as if he had lost Bill or possibly Ginny. I think Charlie has a strong, steady personality. He was probably very involved in consoling his distraught mother after the battle. I think he also possibly tried to reach out to George to make him feel less isolated in his misery.

2. If he had lost more siblings would he have behaved differently?

---If Charlie had lost more siblings I think he might have been at risk for much more serious depression and anger issues. I am writing a story in which all his siblings except Percy and Ginny die in the Final battle. I foresee his reaction being very serious indeed. But I am puzzled about what form his grief would take. Would he be dark and brooding, violent and angry, or dull and depressed? I am leaning towards dark and brooding, rather like the dangerous dragons he tries to tame.

3. What do you think Charlie did after the War?

---I think he returned to Romania after spending time with his family. He continued to work with dragons for the rest of his life. I doubt the War changed his life in this respect.

4. What kind of relationship did he have with his brother Bill?

---I am sure he was closest to Bill. He was his best man at the wedding, and they were right next to each other in years. I think they were true comrades. I don't think he hero-worshiped his older brother. They choose similar dangerous careers, but Charlie didn't choose his in order to imitate Bill. Rather their personalities were similar. Charlie's love for animals and danger led him one way, Bill's love of travel and novelty another.

5. Choose one trait from each member of his family and apply it to him in order to sketch his personality. He is the Weasley we know least about, but is it possible to guess at his character by looking at his family?

---Charlie is like Bill in his love of danger and adventure.
He is most like Percy in his introspection and the fact that he is willing to put work before family. (Not in a bad way, but he is willing to go to Romania rather then stay in Britain to be near them.)
He is like the twins in his humor and appreciation of a good joke, but he is not a fanatic prankster himself.
He is like Ron in that he is easily embarrassed around the ladies. I don't see him as a smooth talker or a womanizer. (He differs widely from Bill here.)
He is like Ginny in that he has a spark of temper mixed with a streak of tenderness.

~Fauna