Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Charlie Weasley

Hybrid View

FaunaCaritas

Charlie Weasley

Contains DH spoilers!

We know next to nothing about Charlie, but I believe constructive conjecture is possible. I have several questions about his character. I will follow up with my own answers, but if you disagree (or have something to add) please challenge my views and help me understand him better.

1. How do you think Charlie dealt with Fred's death?

2. If he had lost more siblings would he have behaved differently?

3. What do you think Charlie did after the War?

4. What kind of relationship did he have with his brother Bill?

5. Choose one trait from each member of his family and apply it to him, in order to sketch his personality. He is the Weasley we know least about, but is it possible to guess his character by looking at his family?

-----

My answers:

---I get the sense that Charlie, while being very close to the twins, was closer to Bill. He would feel all the grief that anyone would feel upon loosing a sibling, but healing would not be nearly as difficult as if he had lost Bill or possibly Ginny. I think Charlie has a strong, steady personality. He was probably very involved in consoling his distraught mother after the battle. I think he also possibly tried to reach out to George to make him feel less isolated in his misery.

---If Charlie had lost more siblings I think he might have been at risk for much more serious depression and anger issues. I am writing a story in which all his siblings except Percy and Ginny die in the Final battle. I foresee his reaction being very serious indeed. But I am puzzled about what form his grief would take. Would he be dark and brooding, violent and angry, or dull and depressed? I am leaning towards dark and brooding, rather like the dangerous dragons he tries to tame.

---I think he returned to Romania after spending time with his family. He continued to work with dragons for the rest of his life. I doubt the War changed his life in this respect.

---I am sure he was closest to Bill. He was his best man at the wedding, and they were right next to each other in years. I think they were true comrades. I don't think he hero-worshiped his older brother. They choose similar dangerous careers, but Charlie didn't choose his in order to imitate Bill. Rather their personalities were similar. Charlie's love for animals and danger led him one way, Bill's love of travel and novelty another.

5. Choose one trait from each member of his family and apply it to him in order to sketch his personality. He is the Weasley we know least about, but is it possible to guess at his character by looking at his family?

---Charlie is like Bill in his love of danger and adventure.
    He is most like Percy in his introspection and the fact that he is willing to put work before family. (Not in a bad way, but he is willing to go to Romania rather then stay in Britain to be near them.)
    He is like the twins in his humor and appreciation of a good joke, but he is not a fanatic prankster himself.
    He is like Ron in that he is easily embarrassed around the ladies. I don't see him as a smooth talker or a womanizer. (He differs widely from Bill here.)
    He is like Ginny in that he has a spark of temper mixed with a streak of tenderness.

~Fauna

hansolohpfrk
    Charlie Weasley is almost an OC, in the sense that his personality isn't delved into in the books very much. I think you're at liberty to do pretty much what you want (within plausibility) with him.

I think Charlie would have been devastated, like the rest of the family. I agree with you in saying that he was probably closer to Bill, but this doesn't change that Fred was his brother. He would have the same wounds as everyone else, even if he didn't display them. I think that you could say that he probably helped Mrs. Weasley, but then, probably all her children (including Harry and Hermione) did. I think, however, that you could probably pull off making him reach out to George, because I'm not sure how everyone else would try to do so.

I'm not sure that the amount of siblings lost would really have altered much about his grief, except if maybe Bill or any particularly close sibling died, in which I believe he would grieve longer. I don't think he'd be any more depressed and angry; after all, family is family. However, he might take on a different role with the loss of those siblings, and his dark feelings could come out because of that, along with the loss of his family. He would feel the pain for a longer amount of time, but he wouldn't feel any more pain. Do you see what I mean?

I think he probably would have stayed in England, to help his family, and just to be close to them after the losses suffered in the War.

Like you said, I believe he was close to Bill, because they were closer in age. As you said, he was Bill's best man, and all. You can do whatever you want, but I think you're right in saying that Charlie was closest to Bill.

5. Choose one trait from each member of his family and apply it to him, in order to sketch his personality. He is the Weasley we know least about, but is it possible to guess his character by looking at his family?

I don't believe it's possible to judge his character by looking at his family. They were all raised with the same values, so they all are strong, all stubborn, and all loyal. Other than that, they're all different. Ginny was bold, and strong, and fiery. Ron was irrational, but loyal. Gred and Forge were the class clowns. Percy was uptight, and Bill was...I don't know what Bill was...relaxed, perhaps? Anyways, I guess my point is that they're the same in the values they have, but different on a superdeep level.

However, I like what you have here for what would be his personality. A true Weasley.

Here are some fics that characterise Charlie in different ways that you might want to look at:

What She Was by AlexisTaylor
    Firecracker by KalHoNaaHo

Charlie's Angel by Jenn_Weasley
    Dragontamer by MithrilQuill

Hope I wasn't too opinionated, and that I possibly helped!

--Hanni

Fifth Year Ravenclaw
    People Hate Me for Losing Points

- I think that Charlie wasn't as close to Fred, then he is to the others. Therefore I think that he is a sad as if he lost his friend. That is a horrible simile. Sorry.
    I think that he would be sad, but it would have been worse if he had lost Bill or Ginny.

-I think that Charlie might have suffered a little bit mentally. I mean he would have been in shock, and obvious pain. After all it is bad enough to loss one sibling.

-I think that after a certain amount of grieving time that Charlie went back to Romania. After all he really loved his job alot. You could tell from what you find out in the books.

-I think that him and Bill are the best of friends. I think that they would be really close because of their ages. They are the two oldest and I am sure that they feel responsible for the family. I also think that Charlie is closer to Bill then to all other siblings, except maybe Ginny. She is the only other one that I think Charlie has a close relationship with.

-Bill: the willingness and eagerness for adventure
    -Percy: the willingness to put work before family (I mean that he moved to Romania to do the job that he loved, instead of staying in Britain with his family)
    -The twins: his humor
    -Ron: embarassment about girls
    -Ginny: his temper

I hope that this helped you. Some of the things that I said might have been the same as yours, but I agreed with you so I put something similar.

~Alyssa of the Marauding Blue and Bronze

Avvie by Ash/Radcliffefan07 and Banner by Evie/apollo13.

Pondering
    I have to agree with those who have posted before me with that Charlie's personality is largely undefined--he is the Weasley we know the least of in canon.

I think that although Charlie would be devestated, as they Weasleys are a close-knit clan, he wouldn't have dwelled on it as closely as some of his younger siblings, I feel. Yes, he would have been upset, but I think that Charlie would have moved on more easily--his brother died for a good cause, and Charlie had already been living away from his family for quite a while.

Well, obviously yes, losing more siblings would have magnified the pain and made the moving on take much longer, but I think that in the end it would be the same and he would probably go back to work.

I think that he stayed with his family for a little while, but then went back to work with the dragons. If you look at it, Charlie is the least family type of guy out of the Weasleys. He's the only unmarried one out of the Weasley Family Tree that Jo drew, so I think that his work was his first and truest passion.

I think they would have been close for the reasons already stated--they were the oldest and they're closer in age. They would probably be looked up to by all their siblings, and have that shared sense of responsibility.

I don’t think that it’s really possible to sketch out his personality by comparing his parents and siblings. As it has been pointed out before, the Weasleys are all rather different people. What we do know is that he will have been brought up with the same beliefs and values as the rest of his family, meaning that we do have, at the very least, some knowledge of what Charlie would be like.

We can’t exactly pin-point his personality, but we know that he was in Gryffindor, so at the very least he would have the basic qualities of the House, and that he was brought up in a family with very strong values—that Muggleborns are exactly the same as Purebloods, etc. Even though we don’t know much about Charlie, it would probably be out of character for him to suddenly decide to become a Death Eater, for instance.

So basically, I think the characterisation of Charlie is probably up to the individual as long as it stays within the grounds of feasibility.

--Tash of the Marauding Blue and Bronze.

whomovedmyquil

I think it would have pained him greatly, he did just loose a brother, but I also think that once te initial greif passed, he would have bored it rather well, and helped to rebuild his family and the wizarding world.

I don't think so. I agree with Hanni here, he would have greived longer, but not more.

I think he stayed home for awhile and then went back to Romania, wherer he really belongs.

They we're obviously very close, as Bill asked him to be his best man. There also very close in age, pnly one or two years between them, I believe. I can see them as the type of brothers who are friends as well, much like Fred and George.

I have to agree with Hanni again. I don't think we can judge Charlie by the rest of his family. He probably had the same values instilled in him growing up, buyt he had different expeirences, and they shaped him differently than his brothers and sister.

Roonil_Wazlib125

Answers: Charlie Weasley

Hi!!! Awesome questions!!! Here are my answers!!

I think that Charlie was.... very upset. The entire Weasley clan was upset. But I think Charlie, Bill, and George would be the most upset.

Since Charlie was older and was working in an entirely different country, he didn't get to spend much time with his family. It must've been very hard to know that your brother died and you didn't spend as much time as you would've liked to with him because you were working. Charlie must've been deeply upset.

Differently in what way? Like, behavior wise? Or like, stopping his work and spending more time with his family??

Well, I think he would. He seems nice, but busy, adventurous, and very loving. If he had lost, like, Fred, George, Percy and Ginny, I'm sure he would take time off or quit work to spend more time with his family.

I think Charlie got a wife and settled down to a different job. Maybe an adventurous job, but close to his home, so that he could start a family. I think he might marry someone who was adventurous, like him, and who shared his interest in beastly creatures. I'm pretty sure that's what he did.

Bill was the oldest brother, was he not? And Charlie was second. So like all brothers, they would love each other, but butt heads.

Bill seems adventurous. So does Charlie. Maybe during their childhood, they dared each other to do dangerous things, like climbing to the roof of the Burrow, or maybe scaling the wall. They probably had tons of fun together, but they occasionally fought. Brothers are like that.

Ginny: Stubborness

Ron: Jealousy

Fred and George: Cleverness

Percy: A Good Worker

Bill: Adventurousness

Mr. Weasley: Passion for something. (example: Muggles)

Mrs. Weasley: Love

Well, I think he would be stubborn, like Ginny and pretty much all of the Weasleys. I think he is also jealous, but not like Ron. Maybe jealous about things if people rub it in their face. Ron's just jealous all the time.

He would also be clever. You have to be, if you'e Fred and George's sibling!!

I also think he's a good worker, like Percy. He's not a complete work-a-holic, but he's dedicated.

He also has Bill's adventurousness, or whatever. He likes adventures of course. Who else but an adventurous person would take on a dragon?

I also think he's passionate about his work, like his dad. His dad is passionate about his work with Muggles, and later on, is passionate about protecting people from fake safety things. Charlie seems passionate about his work with dragons. Why else would he put up with burns and scars for so long?

Finally, I think he's very loving. He loves his family and everything about it. Sort of like Mrs. Weasley.

Charlie seems like an interesting Weasley that needs to be discovered more.

Annmarie/Roonil_Wazlib125

Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    Arguing With The Sorting Hat

I personally think that Charlie would have been closer to the twins, than to some of his other siblings. For instance, by the time Ron and Ginny were about four-ish, he would have already been living at school. Also, he was compared to the twins quiet a bit in the books. I dont remeber where.
    Because of that, he would have probably taken his death quiet hard. I like to think that Charlie would be quiet loud when angry. Not the brooding sort. Afterall, he was in Gryffindor, where the main characters tended to wear their hearts on their sleeves. Why would he be any different?

Obviously the pain would have been more. But loosing one brother would have been enough to send him into the deep end of his anger/despair, whatever. So whatever extreem things he would do, he would have done anyway. So no, he proably would act the same.

After the war, I think he would have stayed for the funerals. Then i think he would have gone straight back to work. That way he could try and submerse himself in his job, and ingnore his pain.

There wasnt a large age gap between the two, so he wouldn't have been the adoring younger brother type. They may even have had a similar relationship to the twins.

Bill- A laid back sort of nature.

Precy- I dont think they had anything in common. It was more Percy and Bill.

Fred and George- A love of jokes.

Ron- The same sort of embarresed nature. But in a bolder sort of way.

Ginny- I don't think they had much in common either. Ginny has a very unique personality.

Hope this helped, even if it's slightly late!

weasleywannabe47
    I think Charlie would've somehow felt as though he wasn't around enough,so he would feel kind of confused about this.But he would be arock for Ginny to cling to!
    Had it been Bill or Ginny,(who I beleive he would be closest to)yes,he would've stayed in England longer and had a deeper scar.
    Returned to Romania and married.

A very close one,I think.I think he envied Bill a bit because of Fleur and his academic skills,but that they were very close.
    5.(My computer wouldn't copy this,so I'm just going to answer it!)
    Bill-leadership skills
    Percy-ambition
    Fred and George-laid-back-ness
    Ron-awkwardness...
    Ginny-I don't see him having her traits....

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    I have a question about Charlie's thoughts on education. In my story, Charlie marries a fellow dragon researchers from Romania and becomes step-dad to her two children. Of course, since they live in Eastern Europe, the children would probably have the option of attending Durmstrang, but there is that matter of the reputation the school has. Hermione said that Durmstrang has a history of teaching Dark Magic to the students. Do you think he would be alright with the children attending Durmstrang, or would he insist on them attending a different school?

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

weasleywannabe47
    I think Charlie would let the children choose.

He doesn't seem like the type to want control over his childrens' lives or fret over what is/isn't taught.