Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask a Moderator - Part 15

Marauder by Midnight

Ask a Moderator - Part 15

Please view our Frequently Asked Questions before posting your questions here, and also make sure your question has not already been asked. (These threads are searchable!)

[The more people ask the same question, the more pages there are, which cause more people to not take the time to read it, causing them to post the same question and the vicious cycle continues]

When asking a question that specifically applies to you, your account, or a particular story, you MUST provide the pertinent information, such as your uid.

Please, allow MODERATORS ONLY to answer the questions in this thread.

If you have a question which doesn't need to be answered by moderators, please ask Dumbledore's Navy in the Check-In Desk.

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors
    I have a question, I did a search but got the sorry-no match message.

How does your story end up under the Featured heading?

I got poked today and told that one of my stories was there (yeah me ) and I was just wondering how it got there. Do the mods reccomend it or is it based on read count etc.?

Thanks.
    Kristy

EDIT:Thanks Beth, I tried searching the site first but couldn't find it .
    Anyways, I t was great to be nominated thank you for the honor of being a featured fic.
    ~Kristy

Marauder by Midnight
    butter_beer_drinker - I believe this question was answered, but here it goes.

Each moderator is given the opportunity to put forth two or three stories he or she has come across in the queue or during their leisure reading that sticks out to them and that they highly recommend. There is no criteria other than that, and there is no way for you to control/have a say in which stories are featured. Currently, featured stories should be changing every two weeks or so, but we're not too good about updating them that often

Snape's Talon
    How goes the Skin Challenge? Will an announcement be forthcoming ... along with new, shiny skins?

Marauder by Midnight
    Snape's Talon - Roxy Black is still coding them. When she is done, the Skins Challenge will be unveiled.

AurorKeefy
    Hello.

I am about to submit a chapter into the queue that I foresee problems with. My fiction is a very long, multi-chaptered and multi-book affair, and the chapter in question revolves around two first years on their first trip to Diagon Alley, and as such is rather similar to the same chapter from PS. Although it follows the chapter closely, it contains much information that is/may be/would appear to crucial to later chapters and books.

I'd like to discuss this with a moderator, however since the fiction is under the "General" category, and is hence moderatored by everyone, who do I contact?

Thanks.

h_vic
    Suddenly, as of a couple of hours ago, without me having altered any settings or anything, I haven't been able to access the boards or the main site through Firefox, although it's working fine for me through IE. I've always used Firefox before and not had any access problems here, but now all I get is an error message saying "400 Bad Request Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand." It's only happening here - I'm not having problems with any other site.

This isn't really too big an issue, since if I have to I can just keep using IE, and it may just be my computor doing something silly, but if anyone could shed any light on it, I'd be grateful because I'd rather use Firefox.

Any ideas?

~Hannah

EDIT: Cookie-clearing seems to have fixed it (at least for the time being), so feel free to ignore this.

Marauder by Midnight
    AurorKeefy - Since General is open to any moderator, you may want to pick a mod you feel comfortable working with, present your story's situation, and ask if what you have planned is acceptable. If it's something that has to be discussed with other moderators before your story is "open" to any moderator to accept/reject, the moderator you contacted will ask for a second or third opinion from the other mods. If the story in question demands it, you may also request a specific moderator, probably the one whom you had contacted, to mod your story.

h_vic - Yes, the 400: Bad Request error usually occurs with FireFox when your cookies have not been cleared in a while. But you apparently figured it out on your own In the future, if you come across any errors, you should always clear your cookies. As you can see, that is usually the solution to every browser problem, and that is certainly the first thing we would suggest you do when you alert us of your bug

9. 04-25-2008, 01:50 PM

Kcharles
    Hello mods.

I know that scriptfics aren't aloud, but in Ask a Mod 13 you said that stage scripts are. I was wondering, what's the diffrence? And would this be consitered a stage script:

Harry to Ron: (Picking up the portkey) Are you ready?

Ron: (Nodding, he grabs the portkey) Let's go.

Much thanks.

Marauder by Midnight
    kCharles - That may be validated. However, stage scripts also contain stage directions, setting descriptions, and character descriptions. I would suggest that you read through two or three published stage scripts to get a good idea of what a stage script really is before trying to write one (a good one to read would be The Crucible by Arthur Miller or plays written by Moliere). We are very strict about what types of scripts are allowed here.