Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ted Tonks

WendelinTheWeird

Ted Tonks

Hey everyone! I'm writing about Andromeda, and I wanted some more information on Ted Tonks.

Am I right to assume he was in Hufflepuff? Or can I only assume he wasn't in Slytherin?

Would he be very defensive of Andromeda when her sisters disapprove of their friendship? Or would he just comfort Andromeda and have a "just ignore it" philosophy?

What third-year elective classes would he and Andromeda have together?

Thanks for your help in advance!

ms. leading
    Am I right to assume he was in Hufflepuff? Or can I only assume he wasn't in Slytherin?
    I've looked it up on the Lexicon, it doesn't say what house he was in. So you're safe in saying any house really. But I've always assumed Hufflepuff for some reason. It seems to suit him, plus his daughter was a Hufflepuff.

Would he be very defensive of Andromeda when her sisters disapprove of their friendship? Or would he just comfort Andromeda and have a "just ignore it" philosophy?
    I get the feeling he would be supportive and not criticize her family, even if they were doing it to him. But I think if it all got too much, he wouldn't be afraid to stand up for himself.

Care of Magical Creatures would be a cute way for them to get together or something haha. Ooh and maybe Muggle Studies, if Andromeda really wanted to annoy her family.

Edit: But then again, (I'm assuming this takes place in third year) she might not have started to "rebel" just yet. And Andromeda was a Slytherin, according to the Lexicon, so they might not have that many classes together... depends what house you put Ted in.

Hope I've been some help

Fourth Year Ravenclaw
    McGonagall Likes My Quidditch Skills

The Harry Potter Lexicon doesn't say anything about Ted's House. Most people have put him in Hufflepuff or Ravenclaw, although I think I've read one or two stories that had him in Gryffindor.

That being said, I personally think he'd be a Hufflepuff. He's pretty disorganized, and (pardon me for generalizing) I'd think that that would leave out Ravenclaw. Andromeda would have probably gotten in a lot more trouble for hanging out with him if he was a Gryffindor, but as it is, she was only disowned after she married him. Therefore, I think we can assume he's a Hufflepuff. That, and Tonks is a Hufflepuff, which makes it more likely that Ted would be.

Hmm...now that one is one to ponder. I think that he would tell Andromeda to just ignore it, while Andromeda would be upset, and try to defend him to her sisters. In DH, Andromeda was pissed at being thought of as her sister, and Ted just told Harry that it wasn't Bellatrix, and he wasn't fazed at all.

Well, that would depend on what you see them taking, and how the classes are split up. A less popular elective, like Arithmancy or Ancient Runes, the four houses would likely be together. A class like Care of Magical Creatures would probably only have two houses, and in Divination, there's only one. It also depends on what house you see Andromeda in. Some fics have her in Slytherin with her sisters, others have her in Ravenclaw.

Hope I helped, and I have a new question, one that I hope will spark a good discussion.

Do you think Andromeda actually loved Ted? Or was he just a way out of her horrible family? Or maybe a bit of both?

Kate
    IB + Senior Year = Hiatus...again
    Kate...iPoem!...iWrite!...iBanner!...Dumbledore's Navy!
    Avvie and banner by me! Please request!

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    I have a few ponderings about Ted Tonks.

Do the books ever mention what he does for a living? If not, what do you think could be some possibilities?

Do the books ever mention if he was a particularily gifted wizard or not?

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

ms. leading
    The books don't specify a job for Ted, and in my opinion, any job he would have wouldn't be too high-profile. He seems like your average guy to me, and probably wouldn't have a Ministry job. I think the Lexicon has a list of jobs you could take a look at, and decide which best suits him.

Something tells me he wouldn't be exceptional, but simply well educated because of Hogwarts. There's nothing in canon to suggest he's better than the average. Personally, I think good characterisation of Ted would to have him as just that: average. Not every HP character can be outstanding.

I hope this has helped.

~ Cassie

Edit: Here's the list of wizard occupations: http://www.hplex.info/wizworld/occupations.html

It's not extensive, but hopefully it'll help, or even give you an idea for another occupation.

Inverarity
    Do the books ever mention what he does for a living?

No.

If not, what do you think could be some possibilities?

Probably the wizarding equivalent of blue-collar work. He seemed like an average guy.

If he were, I'd expect he'd have joined the OotP or otherwise been involved in the resistance, rather than being a fugitive with goblins.

h_vic
    Just a very quick question, do we have any indication from canon as to whenabouts during DH Ted died (I mean in terms of which month rather than where in the sequence of events)?

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Right, I'd hazard a guess at February or March.

Harry hears Potterwatch report the news shortly before being caught by the Snatchers. He's then whisked off to Malfoy Manor. It's the Easter holidays, so that must be March/April.

Dean Thomas is a recently caught prisoner (I can't see the Snatchers dragging him around for a long time), so he could have been caught as soon as Ted and Dirk were killed (which would put Ted's death in March), or he could have escaped for a while longer which would make Ted's death round about February time.

I don't think there's any real evidence to say when it is, so you could go either way.

~Carole~
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    Arguing With The Sorting Hat

I always assumed he was in Hufflepuff too... he kind of just seems like a Hufflepuff sort of person, he definitely doesn't strike me as a Ravenclaw, and although I suppose he could be a Gryffindor, I think Hufflepuff is more likely because that's where Tonks was. Tonks always struck me as a Gryffindor, so I think if she had a father who was also a Gryffindor that's probably where she would have ended up, but since she didn't I believe Ted is also a Hufflepuff. If that makes sense. (A lot of rambling, sorry!)

Hmm, this is a good one, actually. I think Andromeda would probably be the one getting all worked up about it, and Ted, though supportive, would probably be assuring her that he didn't care what they said. Though I think, if it came down to it, he'd back her up. I'm getting this idea from the one scene in the book in which we actually see them together, where Andromeda is all bent out of shape about Harry mistaking her for Bellatrix, but Ted's kind of blasť about it, he just kind of tells Harry "yeah, that's my wife you're shouting at, by the way", and mostly ignores it.

Do you think Andromeda actually loved Ted? Or was he just a way out of her horrible family? Or maybe a bit of both?

Oh, no no no. I definitely think she loved Ted, and I think that, had she not met him, she would probably still be in her family's good books, or at least wouldn't have had herself blasted off the Black family tree. I also think that there's a good possibility that it was Ted that made her start to question her family's beliefs. So in short, I think she married him because she loved him, regardless of what her family said, and if they weren't happy about it then they could go... yeah.

Do the books ever mention what he does for a living?

Nope, though hopefully Pottermore will!

If not, what do you think could be some possibilities?

For some strange reason, I tend to imagine him working with magical creatures. Not sure why, he just seems like that kind of guy to me.

No, but I would imagine he was fairly intelligent. He definitely doesn't seem stupid, not by any stretch, but he doesn't seem to exactly be a genius either. I'm pretty sure Andromeda wouldn't be particularly interested in someone who's a complete moron, so I'd imagine he's an A/E level of intelligence.

So those are my musings on Ted Tonks! And one question from me...

What do you think Ted's patronus is?
    Nora Writes ~ Nora Draws ~ Nora Duels ~ Nora Drabbles ~ Nora Betas

My fabulous Doctor Who banner is by Nadia/majestic_ginny!

Essence_of_Lily
    What do you think Ted's patronus is?

I always thought he would have like a cute, rodent thing for a patronus. Maybe like a squirrel? Wait, are squirrels rodents?