Thread: Foreign countries politics in wizard world

Hybrid View

lunaselenia

Foreign countries politics in wizard world

Im writing (wow Im writing) this story settled at the end of the first war and I wondering if other countries have their representatives in British Ministry of Magic. For examples Consuls or Ambassadors. If they do where should I locate they offices, and what should they do? Are they active against Voldemort or not? Are they countries involved in the war or they have nothing to do with that?

I had this idea that some of the countries would send some help in fighting Voldemort, but the British ministry would decline their help.

Let me now what you think and yours ideas.

Martina

JOHN91043353
    Acctually that is a very good idea. I think it's very believeble that other countries would be involved due to the fact that Voldemort is a threat to the International Confederation of Wizards' Statute of Secrecy which is one of the most important wizard laws there is. If the british wizards are discoverd, so will the rest of the world's wizards be.
    Also, if I don't remember wrong, in OotP I think someone mentions that Charlie (or possibly Krum) is trying to get more foregin wizards to realize that Voldemort is back and to fight him.

I don't think there are any ambassadors or consuls at the Minestry though. There are about 200 nations in the world and it wouldn't work to have so many ambassadors for every single country.

I think it's more likely that they'd work througe the International Confederation of Wizards. I always thought that it's like a wizard version of the UN and it's known that all the member countries have a delegation. This is what the lexicon sais *link*

Hope I helped clear things out.

MvH Johan

FaunaCaritas

my ramblings...

Hey there, Martina!

First of all good luck with the new story!

I think that magical ambassadors from other countries are not just likely, they are necessary. I agree with Johan that there are too many countries for all to be represented. However I feel certain that the major countries have a need to communicate with each other directly. Besides, I doubt you are going so deeply into detail that you need to tell your readers the names of each and every ambassador.

In the Ministry of Magic there is the Department of International Magical Cooperation (level 5). All international matters are dealt with this in this department. Foreign ambassadors would most likely be received there, and some might have permanent offices/staff. .... France, Spain, Germany, Russia, America, China, Australia, Brazil, India.... etc. These would be the countries with a large enough wizard population to necessitate constant representation abroad. (Note: Bartemius Crouch Sr. became the head of the Department of IMC shortly after the first war, about 1982, and remained in that position until his death in GoF in 1995. Look him up in the Lexicon.)

As to whether or not the various countries are opposed to Voldemort or not... well, that's up to you. I would imagine some countries would want to keep well clear of Britain's difficulties while others would be concerned. Any country that had close ties to the British Ministry of Magic would probably be willing to provide some of their equivalents to the MoM's Aurors. (I'd call them something different, i.e. for the French give them a French name.) Other assistance might be supplies, intelligence, and magical research/documents/etc.

If England is going to turn down the offered help make sure you explain why. They where pretty desperate during the first war (and they were not in denial then.) Maybe there are Voldemort sympathizers in the Ministry or they are worried that the offered help isn't genuine? You have probably already thought that through. Barty Crouch would be unlikely to refuse any assistance against Lord V., but there might be others less willing to accept foreign aid with open arms.

Um, question... if your story is set after the first war why is anyone worried about Voldemort? Only Dumbledore and a few others are worried he might come back. I don't think other countries would be worried about him when Britain wasn't.

Happy Tuesday!
    ~Fauna

lunaselenia
    Quote Originally Posted by JOHN91043353
    I don't think there are any ambassadors or consuls at the Minestry though. There are about 200 nations in the world and it wouldn't work to have so many ambassadors for every single country.
    I think it's more likely that they'd work througe the International Confederation of Wizards. I always thought that it's like a wizard version of the UN and it's known that all the member countries have a delegation. This is what the lexicon sais *link*
    I was thinking to put the offices of ambassadors outside the Ministry. But then again if some country is against Voldemort then probably their office will surly be under attack. And I also like the idea to maybe try to explain the International Confederation of Wizards. It seems to me that this is wizards UN.
    Johan thanks for your help. It you have something to add fell free to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by FaunaCaritas
    In the Ministry of Magic there is the Department of International Magical Cooperation (level 5). All international matters are dealt with this in this department. Foreign ambassadors would most likely be received there, and some might have permanent offices/staff. .... France, Spain, Germany, Russia, America, China, Australia, Brazil, India.... etc. These would be the countries with a large enough wizard population to necessitate constant representation abroad. (Note: Bartemius Crouch Sr. became the head of the Department of IMC shortly after the first war, about 1982, and remained in that position until his death in GoF in 1995. Look him up in the Lexicon.)
    Well as I see it the Department of International Magical Cooperation is something like department of International relations (i think that is correct political term). So they deal with other countries and they send their ambassadors to the foreign countries.

As to whether or not the various countries are opposed to Voldemort or not... well, that's up to you. I would imagine some countries would want to keep well clear of Britain's difficulties while others would be concerned. Any country that had close ties to the British Ministry of Magic would probably be willing to provide some of their equivalents to the MoM's Aurors. (I'd call them something different, i.e. for the French give them a French name.) Other assistance might be supplies, intelligence, and magical research/documents/etc.
    Well in my story the country involved is neutral toward Voldemort. Something like Switzerland in WW2.

If England is going to turn down the offered help make sure you explain why. They where pretty desperate during the first war (and they were not in denial then.) Maybe there are Voldemort sympathizers in the Ministry or they are worried that the offered help isn't genuine? You have probably already thought that through. Barty Crouch would be unlikely to refuse any assistance against Lord V., but there might be others less willing to accept foreign aid with open arms.
    Well since my story (for now) will have two parts. The first part will be during First War, and the second during Second War. The decline for help will come up in the second part.

Um, question... if your story is set after the first war why is anyone worried about Voldemort? Only Dumbledore and a few others are worried he might come back. I don't think other countries would be worried about him when Britain wasn't.
    Well as I already said the decline for help will come at the beginning of Second war. Sorry if I didnt explained this before.

Fauna and Johan thanks for help.

If you have anything to add please fell free to do it.

Martina