Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seamus Finnigan

Kcharles

Seamus Finnigan

I didn't see a thread for our loved Seamus, so I started one.

How have you always pictured Seamus?
    I picture him with brown hair, and about as tall as Harry. And very Irish.

Have you ever read a Seamus fan fic where he's one of the main characters?
    No, that's why I'm writing one!

Feel free to add more questions!

anonymousravenclaw
    Actually, he is described as having 'sandy blond' hair in the PS/SS Sorting or Welcome Feast, I can't recall which. But yes, very Irish. And depending on the year, he would probably be a little taller: Harry was shorter than average until 6th year.

Pinkcess of the Abyss
    I disagree on Seamus being Very Irish. He doesn't display that vibe much in the HP books, other than his accent. And years at boarding school are bound to take a little of his Irishness away.

By Irishness, I mean, he speaks in an Irish accent, but doesn't talk Irish. The Irish just talk, a lot. Words, words and more words. But they don't listen to each other. Oscar Wilde agrees with me, “If one could only teach the English how to talk, and the Irish how to listen, society here would be quite civilized.”

For example, if an English man were to go to the shop to get some bread, they would say,
    "I'm just nipping to the shop for some bread."
    If an Irish man were to say it, he'd say,
    "I just went to the bread bin, to get a slice of bread to dunk in me leak and onion soup, and there was not a slice to be found. And so, if you don't mind, I'm just going to put me hat on my head, so me head doesn't get wet, and a big coat on, because the weather is mighty awful, and I'm just going to nip down to the shop at the end of the road to go and us get another loaf."
    Now, if I were to write Seamus I would write him in that manner, simply because it give his character a more unique flair. But I don't belive J K Rowling ever wrote him like that...

He also doesn't do Celili dancing in the books. But with his family, on big family occations I'd say there just might be a little. He might have cousins that do Traditional Irish Dancing. (Terribly competitive sport, for the record) The Irish also tend to be quite a tight nit community. The thing is, the Irish are very Patriotic, and Seamus doesn't seem all that Patriotic.. Maybe I missed it, but honestly I haven't seem him all for the Guiness and the parties, and the shamrocks, and the Cladders. You know?

Other points of Seamus.
    I think he comes across as a bit of a cheeky lad. A trouble maker, but not on Fred or Georges' standard. Just the regular old cheeky comment, have a laugh with his friends and break a few rules. Not taking anything overly seriously.

He would also know about Muggle things, because his dad is a muggle. (First year he tells Harry that his dad is a muggle and his mum is a witch) I'm also guessing that his dad has a sense of humor. (the way he tells the story). I think he is a mummy's boy, due to him beliving everything she said during Harry's fourth year. He grew up in the magical world (his reliance on the Prophet), but I can't imagine his father letting him forget everything muggle.

So, I'd say very extrovert, and very much a ladies man.

As to his appearance, I personally imagine him to have; mousy brown hair, freckles, average hight, 5,8ish, more stocky than scrawny, big cheeky grin, sparkley eyes. (the ones that dance when they laugh, trust me, they exist on real people).

Of course, that is just how I imagine him to be, and the only cannon that I know is the mousey brown hair.

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    I am curious, what do you all see as being a potential career for Seamus? We never learn which classes he excells at or what his hobbies are. What do you think he might have done.

Also, would he have stayed in England, or would he have gone back to Ireland?

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

weasleywannabe47
    I always pictured him as being relatively short, small, blonde hair, and gray eyes...

As for a career, I'd say Maitenence department.

MY QUESTION:
    Do you think he would ever freak out if he and his wife were having a baby, and he thought he didn't make a lot of money?

ms. leading
    Do you think he would ever freak out if he and his wife were having a baby, and he thought he didn't make a lot of money?
    There's definitely a possiblity that that could go through his mind, yes. I'm sure any man who wasn't making a lot of money would worry for their unborn child. I'm not sure he'd 'freak out' but maybe explain his worries to his wife, and then calm down eventually. There's no reason you couldn't make this entirely plausible.

I hope I've helped.

~ Cassie

bling_baby
    On to the questions/discussion:

How have you always pictured Seamus?
    Yes, there's the sandy hair etc. I imagine him to be quite tall, but shorter than Ron.

Have you ever read a Seamus fan fic where he's one of the main characters?
    No, I haven't, and I'm interested to see what you come up with!

The thing is, the Irish are very Patriotic, and Seamus doesn't seem all that Patriotic.. Maybe I missed it, but honestly I haven't seem him all for the Guinness and the parties, and the shamrocks, and the Cladders. You know?
    I would say he was. At the Quidditch World Cup, he seemed rather enthusiastic to me, with all of the green colours etc. His mother was certainly patriotic. However, I can see what you mean about being in a community. Unless he was in a Wizarding community, which might not have happened because of his father, he might have been slightly isolated from the others.

I would think so. I can't imagine Seamus trying to climb the job ladder, or anything. So it might come as a shock to have the sudden realisation that he has to provide for a child. However, I would think he'd quite like having a little tyke, once he had gotten used to the idea. Nevertheless, he would certainly get quite anxious.

I would put him down as a rather energetic character, because of his Irish side. I understand that it might be stereotypical of me to say this, but I'm quarter Irish, and all my Irish relatives are rather energetic and humorous people. I would go with that.

Here's my question: Who do you think Seamus would have ended up with from the books? What I mean is, take out the idea of OCs out there. I know the obvious choice would be Lavender, because of the Yule Ball etc. But are there any other ideas?

weasleywannabe47
    Who do you think Seamus would have ended up with from the books?
    I personally think Susan Bones or Padma Patil, but I think it'd be intresting for him to marry an OC, or a very minor character. (ie, Mandy Brocklehurst, a Raavenclaw in Harry's year, with whom I've always been fascinated.)

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    I personally think Susan Bones or Padma Patil, but I think it'd be intresting for him to marry an OC, or a very minor character.
    J.K. never really talked about what girls in his class Seamus was close to. I would think that your best bet though is to create an OC that would be compatible to hom (or not, if you want to give him a more rocky marriahe).

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

AlexGinny1
    Quote Originally Posted by weasleywannabe47
    I personally think Susan Bones or Padma Patil, but I think it'd be intresting for him to marry an OC, or a very minor character. (ie, Mandy Brocklehurst, a Raavenclaw in Harry's year, with whom I've always been fascinated.)
    I have always seen Seamus with Susan Bones aswell or Mandy Brocklehurst who you could make up a good plot for her.