Thread: The Heir of Slytherin

thegirllikeme

The Heir of Slytherin

I'm writing a scene from Severus Snape point of view that happens right after the first message "THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS HAS BEEN REOPENED. ENEMIES OF THE HEIR, BEWARE!" and I'm wondering - would Severus have know that Voldemort was the Heir was Slytherin?

I know that Lucius knew, correct? So wouldn't he have told others what happened in the Chamber last time - about Moaning Myrtle being killed. And what about Tom? He was very proud of the fact he was the Heir of Slytherin - you would think he'd allow his followers to know that? Also, I know it has Severus interrogating Harry, but that could just have been because he thought Harry was hiding something (and he was) or that Harry might be possessed by Voldemort - that is, if Severus knew.

I personally think he knew, but I'm not positive if that's canonically correct. What do you think?

Thanks in advance for your help.

witch6
    Though Snape might or might not have known, I personally feel he would have. We know that Snape wasn't the closest Death Eater to Voldemort before his fall (Lucius, Bella were, so they definitely knew about it), but I think he was becoming closer. Voldemort thought he placed Snape at Hogwarts as a spy, Snape was the one who gave him information about the prophecy, etc. Also, in the Death Eater's circle (the one mentioned in GoF) Snape had a placed and only Voldemort's most loyal followers had one, so it isn't completely wrong to assume that Snape knew about Voldemort being Slytherin's heir.

hansolohpfrk
    Yes, I believe so, and I'll tell you why.

Voldemort was very proud of the fact that he was Slytherin's last descendent. He hid the fact that his father was a Muggle, and emphasized his mother's side. He wouldn't have been too effective in getting the Slytherins from his class to follow him if he couldn't present any relative who was powerful, Pureblooded, and all those other qualities those people value.

I believe almost all of his Death Eaters knew, and even if it was his inner circle that knew, Severus Snape would fall under that category.

--Hanni