Thread: Evan Rosier + Barty Crouch

Hybrid View

LifeAtRandom

Evan Rosier + Barty Crouch

I hope the mods don't mind that I'm doing two minor characters at once (if you do, go ahead and delete, I've saved a copy). Rosier and Crouch play similar roles in the fic I'm doing, basically they're Regulus's Slytherin friends and from what we know, future Death Eaters.

I need help with developing distinctive personalities from each other, instead of the typical card-board cutout of a bad-guy Death Eater. Their line of thoughts on Voldemort should be interesting and new and their relationships with Regulus should, at best, be dynamic--straining, yet satisfying in a way.

Info to consider:
    - Crouch Sn. was a man working against Voldemort, so Barty jn. is a bit of a rebel.
    - In the fic, Evan finds out a huge secret about Regulus and snitches.
    - Both Barty and Evan are influential voices who often lead Regulus down the wrong path.
    - Evan retains a smudge of self-loathing because he is half-blood.
    - Sometimes Regulus has some weak moments of empathy, which they react to unpleasantly.

Questions:

1. What do you expect them to look like?

2. How did they come to adopt the pureblood supremacy views?

3. How do you think they influence Regulus? In what ways?

4. Given the information I've enclosed, what do you expect their personalities to be like?

5. What kinds of friendships do they have with each other and Regulus (note, Regulus is mostly friends with them out of convenience)?

WendelinTheWeird

Rosier might be blonde, Narcissa's mother's last name is Rosier.

"Barty Crouch Jr. was a pale young man with straw-colored hair and freckles." - straight from the Lexicon.

From their family, I suppose. I don't think it's too important to explain.

I think they would influence Regulus to play mean pranks on muggle-borns. They would just tell him to live up to his family and the Slytherin house.

4. Given the information I've enclosed, what do you expect their personalities to be like?

I could see Evan saying some pretty nasty things when he feels particularly insecure about his half-blood status. When he finds out Regulus's secret, he would be very happy, almost triumphant because he's glad someone else has a secret. (Assuming Evan tries to hide his half-blood status)

Barty would probably dislike authority (mostly teachers, i guess) because of his dad and want to be rebellious.

5. What kinds of friendships do they have with each other and Regulus (note, Regulus is mostly friends with them out of convenience)?

I expect they would bicker and not care too deeply for each other. For example, I don't think Evan's insecurities about being a half-blood would get much sympathy and Barty's problems with his father wouldn't get much sympathy, either.

cmwinters
    Yay! Unsorted Newbie! Come live in Slytherin! *drags off to dungeons and plies with cookies and tiramisu*

Quote Originally Posted by LifeatRandom
    For some reason I've always envisioned Evan Rosier to have medium brown hair of a short to medium length (not as long as his shoulders, but maybe touching the back of his neck), with bright blue eyes and a cherubic face. Part of that is influenced by a story I read, which I think got his physical description directly from the Lexicon:

Evan = Greek, 'of noble birth', appropriate for a typical Death Eater with pureblood prejudices.
    Rosier is the name of a fallen angel (formerly holding the rank of Dominion in the angelic hierarchy). This demon may appear as either a man or a woman, and is a kind of patron devil of tainted love and seduction, especially noted for assuming a human form of great physical beauty.

You might not be able to get away with Evan being a half-blood, especially as his *FATHER* was a Death Eater. Crouch, maybe. We don't know anything about his mother other than she died, and that Bartemius Sr was not a Death Eater.

Well, I'm pretty sure they were raised with them. Remember in Order, they found a book in the Black Family Library called Nature's Nobility: A Wizarding Genealogy. That's a fairly pompous thing to call one's self. I'm not entirely sure that Bartemius Crouch Sr was himself NOT a blood supremacist, he just didn't join forces with the Dark Lord.

Regulus was plenty influenced, I think, by his own family. His mother was fanatical, Sirius says that both of his parents supported the Dark Lord and felt like he had the right idea, so it's not a surprise that the extended Black family turned out to be a number of Death Eaters (Bellatrix a Death Eater, her husband and brother-in-law AND father-in-law were Death Eaters, Narcissa at the very least a supporter if not one herself, Draco was certainly headed down that path if he didn't have the Mark himself, Lucius was a Death Eater, Regulus a Death Eater at sixteen for Pete's sake, and a large number of the names on the Black Family Tree had their own family who Death Eaters (Rosier, Crouch, Crabbe, Yaxley) or known or STRONGLY suspected supporters (Burke, Flint, Bulstrode). SO I think it was just more of the same that he heard from his own family.

Regulus I think was a year older than Crouch, and Rosier a year older than Regulus, but they were related, so they probably hung out as similar aged kids at family gatherings and such (think Bellatrix's wedding would probably have been a large affair, probably also Narcissa's). Rough and tumble boy's play, probably.

Bear in mind that Regulus gave all appearances of being a completely loyal Death Eater until his House Elf was mistreated. (In fact he volunteered the elf, although he didn't know what for). And by extension, he knew his parents would approve the use of the elf for the task. So Regulus may not like them, but it's going to have to b ea personality conflict, because Regulus himself was incredibly ambitious. You might want to make Crouch completely fanatical to the point of being a mindless zealot (his complete dedication to the Dark Lord certainly supports this) but maybe Regulus has seen him get everyone else in trouble and get away with it (remember Crouch tried to play that at his trial, but his father didn't buy it).

But I think the Regulus/empathy connection could work fairly well.

As for Rosier, maybe Regulus doesn't like him because he's too shallow, or too ruthless, or too much of a playboy, or flaunts his "nobility" a little too much (even amongst other purebloods), or some combination thereof.

LifeAtRandom
    Another question:

How do you think Barty Crouch became rebellious? He couldn't just one day wake up and say, "I'm going to go against my father's regime and join the Dark Lord". Was it a gradual hatred of his parents or some incident that convinced him to hate Muggles?

Thanks for pointing out Rosier Sn. was a Death Eater, I had forgotten that little detail. I can just as easily switch to Barty. Or I can make up some odd story where Evan's mother bewitched Rosier Sn. and lied about her pureblood heritage. I just wanted one of them to be half-blood for more depth.

Thank you guys for your ideas, I like all of them and will consider each one.

As for being sorted, I wouldn't know how on the boards, but I'd most likely be a Ravenclaw or Hufflepuff, 1/4 chance of Slytherin. Just not a Gryffindor, pretty much.

cmwinters
    Quote Originally Posted by LifeAtRandom
    How do you think Barty Crouch became rebellious? He couldn't just one day wake up and say, "I'm going to go against my father's regime and join the Dark Lord". Was it a gradual hatred of his parents or some incident that convinced him to hate Muggles?
    I should probably point out here that we don't entirely know the poltics of Barty Sr. He may well have been a blood supremacist, but since he was working for the Ministry, enforcing the law. Barty may have been at the age where he didn't get recruited into the original batch of Death Eaters, but before the war started in earnest.

However, to answer your question, it seems fairly apparent that Barty Jr was a Slytherin, and the kids spend 10 months a year away from their parents, so Jr was certainly getting a lot of influence from his peers.

Thanks for pointing out Rosier Sn. was a Death Eater, I had forgotten that little detail. I can just as easily switch to Barty. Or I can make up some odd story where Evan's mother bewitched Rosier Sn. and lied about her pureblood heritage. I just wanted one of them to be half-blood for more depth.
    Understood. At least you didn't get too far into writing it before you found out!

As for being sorted, I wouldn't know how on the boards, but I'd most likely be a Ravenclaw or Hufflepuff, 1/4 chance of Slytherin. Just not a Gryffindor, pretty much.
    Send a PM to songbook99 asking for a sorting quiz. And come to Slytherin. *bribes*