Thread: Salazar Slytherin

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors

Salazar Slytherin

Has it been mentioned anywhere, that anyone knows of, who Salazar's parents were? Also is it safe to assume that he lived in the medival time period, if so do you think it was during Merlin's time?

Would it be too far of a stretch to say that Salazar's mother was a descendant of Morgan La Fey? If I get to make up his parents I want his mother to be from a line of dark witches and wizards.

Thanks for your help.
    ~Kristy

queen fan
    I've just looked on the Lexicon and it says that Hogwarts was found in the late 900's. It doesn't mention anything about Salazar's parents either, so I think you can have it be whoever you want them to be.

cirelondiel
    Yes, queen fan is right. Salazar was certainly alive in the 900s, and given the long life span of wizards, he was possibly even born in the 800s. Although, the life expectancy of muggles at that time was much shorter than it is today, so even a wizard with a long life relative to a muggle of that time would probably not have been considered very old today.

And no, there's never been any mention of Salazar's parents, so you're totally free to make them up. I like the idea of him being related to Morgan - she and Merlin are certainly considered to be real people in the Potterverse, and I think it would be very interesting to see Salazar having that heritage.

I'm no expert on Arthurian legend, though, so I can't say much about how Salazar's time would have related to Merlin and Morgana's lives.

Hope I helped, Kristy!

~ Chelsea

Striped_Candycane
    Although I’m no expert on Arthurian legend either, I think that the actual date of the legend is very vague. According to Wikipedia, the first reference to King Arthur was in the 600’s. I do believe, however, that you have a lot of flexibility as to what time era you actually put Merlin or Morgan le Fay in: the only real requirement I can think of is that it has to be “Medieval”.

Here’s some extra information that might help your piece :

Some (older) sources of Arthurian Legend state that Arthur had a child with his half-sister, Morgause (sibling of Morgan le Fay), either because they were unaware of the fact that they were related or through rape. Either way, Arthur will be punished for the incest, because Mordred will be born from this short relationship, and eventually lead to Arthur’s downfall.
    More modern works replace Morgause by Morgan le Fay, and make this relationship into a deliberate seduction rather than an accident. (Which, I’m guessing, would also work much better for Salazar’s ancestors.)

As for Merlin, he was in love with Nimue, also the Lady of the Lake. But Nimue only pretended to be in love with him so he would teach her his secrets in the art of magic. When she grew tired of him, she sealed him inside a cave.

Not sure if any of these relationships would help your plot at all, but I found them very interesting. If anyone sees any errors in this, please point them out…I’m definitely no expert!

As for Salazar himself, he intrigues me because he chose a different path, despite the fact that this path was morally “wrong”. Any thoughts on this?

I also often find he is paired with Rowena Ravenclaw or Helga Hufflepuff. What do you think of these pairings? Could they have had any actual canon bases? Which do you think is most suited to him, Rowena or Helga?

cmwinters
    Quote Originally Posted by butter_beer_drinker
    Has it been mentioned anywhere, that anyone knows of, who Salazar's parents were?
    Not explicitly, no.

Quote Originally Posted by butter_beer_drinker
    Also is it safe to assume that he lived in the medival time period, if so do you think it was during Merlin's time?
    Well, yes, he lived in the Early Middle Ages; the Sorting Hat and Professor Binns mention "over a thousand years ago" in late 1992, so assuming any accuracy in that statement (Jo herself doesn't apparently know the exact dates) the school had to have been formed no later than about 990 CE. And while witches and wizards supposedly live longer and all that (despite prominent evidence to the contrary), I don't think you want to make any of the founders born much earlier than about 900 or much later than about 975.

The Arthurian legend probably predates the birth of Salazar Slytherin by about 300 years, so it's unlikely that Salazar lived during Merlin's time although I'm certain he was quite well acquainted with WHO he was.

Your ability to pull off Salazar being related to Morgana Le Fey, I think, relies ENTIRELY upon your ability to write and the amount of research you do, but if you pull it off, I think it could be a FASCINATING story!

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors
    Quote Originally Posted by cmwinters
    Not explicitly, no.
    Your ability to pull off Salazar being related to Morgana Le Fey, I think, relies ENTIRELY upon your ability to write and the amount of research you do, but if you pull it off, I think it could be a FASCINATING story!
    Seeing as this is for my final I hope I can pull it off, I received some very good ideas in the skelegro thread, an instead of Morgan Le Fay (which most of my researched showed her to be good and not evil) I chose Mabb, who was often shown to be Merlins nemisis. My character, Salazar's mother, is Mabb's great neice.

As for pairings with Rowena or Helga, I have never seen anything cannon based but since there is an "Heir of Slytherin" there has to have been a mate somewhere along the line, be it a wife or a lover, but I don't see it as Rowena or Helga since there would have been some reference to them in the whole heir thing, plus Rowena's daughter might have known about it too.
    ~Kristy

Fifth Year Ravenclaw
    People Hate Me for Losing Points
    Has it been mentioned anywhere, that anyone knows of, who Salazar's parents were? Also is it safe to assume that he lived in the medival time period, if so do you think it was during Merlin's time?

Would it be too far of a stretch to say that Salazar's mother was a descendant of Morgan La Fey? If I get to make up his parents I want his mother to be from a line of dark witches and wizards.

Salazar's parents are never mentioned anywhere. So you are free to make up his parents. I also think that Salazar would most likely be dark wizards. After all, Salazar was most likely a dark wizard. Example of how I have come to believe that: The Chamber of Secrets and the basalik.

Salazar was alive around the 900s as people mentioned above. I do not know if that was the medival period for I do not know that much on that subject. You would probably have to do a little research about that.

Hope I have helped you!!

- Alyssa

Avvie by Ash/Radcliffefan07 and Banner by Evie/apollo13.

Wotcher-Tonks
    On the Helena Ravenclaw thread, it has been discussed how Slytherin-like she seems, for all that she ended up in Ravenclaw. The possibility that she is Slytherin's daughter is likely, I would say. As to what happened, I cannot say.