Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Common Rooms

Katie Riddington

Common Rooms

Who decides the passwords to get into the common rooms? The pictures that guard that room choose - correct?

anonymousravenclaw
    Almost certainly. Sir Cadogan kept changing the passwords hourly in PoA, something that no one in charge of such things would probably feel reasonable if such a person existed. He also planned what passwords he was going to use, because Neville made Sir Cadogan tell him in advance.

JOHN91043353
    Well for Gryffindor I would have to agree that it is the painting who chooses password. See Anonymousravenclaw's post.

When it comes Slytherin I'm not sure who decides password, since there is no painting but just a regular wall covering the entrence. Although I believe it might be the HoH or possibly the oldest prefect.

For Ravenclaw it seems like there is a new question every time, that the door randomly picks.

According to the HP lexicon you also enter Hufflepuff through a painting so that would probably be the same as Gryffindor.

MvH Johan

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    I'm not so sure about the Hufflepuff painting; isn't that supposed to be a still-life. I know that wizard artists are good, but I just don't see them making a bowl of wax fruit intellegent enough to pick out a password.

It does make you wonder, though: who does pick out the password for Hufflepuff and Slytherin.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Amanda Vega
    Slytherin, and I don't know why I think this, but I can see Slytherin's little part of the wall as being a conscious, sort of semi-sentient being (a bit like wands?). Think of it as Hogwarts itself, i.e., the essence of the school, choosing the password - which is how you end up getting passwords like pure-blood, because Hogwarts as a sentient being, particularly the part that Salazar Slytherin gave to it, picked up on all the anti-muggle-born energies circling around the school, and decided that since there was so much anti-muggle-born, pure-blood would be a pretty awesome password.

Now how do the Slytherins find out new passwords? Magic, of course!

I am aware that that concept is rather complex xD

Hufflepuff - I can't figure anything out for this, lol. It is supposed to be a still-life - note how that in that Q&A Webchat, Jo specifically said still life, in fact - so it could work like the whole tickle-the-pear thing. There was a thread a while back about this, and if I remember correctly the winning idea in it was one of tapping out a series of points/touching a series of specific places in order on the painting. The fact that this also shows some Hufflepuff qualities (I'll add an edit later with all the exact stuff on this, once I can go fetch it) was an extra bonus [:

Now because of the way that would work, I think that the Head of House would probably come around four to eight times a year and manually change it - then notify the Hufflepuffs in some sort of CR announcement, a la McGonagall in Chamber of Secrets.

A few notes about Ravenclaw - with the other houses, you have to find out a special sort of action to get in the CR. In Ravenclaw, absolutely anyone, from any house, would be able to get in without finding out prior information - so long as they could figure out the riddle.

I forget where, but somewhere there was a Ravenclaw CR discussion and the fact came up that 'one can potentially find Ravenclaw common room just by looking for the pool of firsties around a door!' in reference to the fact that the one time we saw it, the eagle gave out a fairly tough riddle (for Luna) and a magic-involving question that most students would not know until NEWTS, probably (Carrow/McGonagall)

I said up above about the Slytherin part of Hogwarts being a somewhat sentient being - I think the same thing applies here. I think that the eagle guard of the door is also semi-sentient, and gives out different riddles based on what the person knows. In this way, everybody could get through the door, including the poor firsties who can't generally speaking solve cryptic riddles yet!

..... and that's about it [:

----- Amanda

EDIT: Heh, I came back and read it, and this is pretty long!
    Here are the Hufflepuff quotes:

Eowyn89: Instead of tickling it, you could make it into a puzzle-type password, where the 'Puffs have to prod the painting in a certain pattern, or "code" to get in. That would require a LOT of patience in my opinion, because the code would change frequently, or differ per person. That way, if the painting is a still life, you don't have to actually talk to it - but you could still come up with a creative way of entering the common room, and have it be in a 'Puff style. Hope I helped!

Amanda Vega: I'm thinking, like, you have to tap a certain part of the painting in a certain order - sort of like Diagon Alley in the first movie? And it would change, say, monthly or so? So, for example, if the still life is of a bowl of fruit (original, i know xD) then you would have to tap, for example, the stem of a pear, the bottom left-hand corner, and the highlighted part of a banana, and then they could go in. </badexample>

MaiaMadness: I also think it's an idea not to make it too dificult a puzzle, because then you're straying into Ravenclaw territory, I think. A tapping sequence on a still life is probably the best sollution. (:
    A great post in itself, and I'm also impressed that you went to the trouble of looking up a previous thread that may help. Fabulous! 10 points.

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    While we're on the subject of the Common Rooms, lets not stop at just the passwords. Since all the main characters are in Gryffindor, we have a pretty photographic picture in our heads of what the Common Room looks like, but we only get a very vague picture of the rest of the houses.

I mean, lets face it; all we know is what their chairs look like and what the room's color sceme is.

Let's talk about our ideas of what the other three Common Rooms look like. These can be things you read in an article, or ideas you liked in a fic you read, but lets get a broader visual image going!

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Azhure
    Really the only common room we don't have a basic idea about is Hufflepuff. Gryffindor we know (obviously), Slytherin we found out a bit in CoS and Ravenclaw we found out about in DH.

I think that the Hufflepuff common room would be a lot like Gryffindor's. Comfortable, bright and with a large fireplace. Very roomy and just generally a good place to be.

There is probably wide windows that let in a huge amount of sunshine (although the common rooms are on one of the lowest floors, apart from the dungeons).

Probably lots of pictures of fruit...

Amanda Vega
    Jo said somewhere that it was downstairs-ish, that you enter through a portrait (like the kitchens, but not like Gryffindor) and the it's very comfy and yellow, and all the doors are perfectly round like portholes.

EDIT: Here is the exact quote, from a webchat she did. You can find it on the Bloomsbury website:

J.K. Rowling: The Hufflepuff common room is accessed through a portrait near the kitchens, as I am sure you have deduced. Sorry — I should say ‘painting’ rather than portrait, because it is a still-life. It is a very cosy and welcoming place, as dissimilar as possible from Snape’s dungeon. Lots of yellow hangings, and fat armchairs, and little underground tunnels leading to the dormitories, all of which have perfectly round doors, like barrel tops.
    fifty character rule.....
    GRR.
    again.
    and again....

MerryD
    I have a question about passwords. We know that the Fat Lady changes her password a couple times a year, but how do the Gryffindors find out that it has been changed?

Thanks!

-Mere

Kcharles
    I'd think that she would have to ask the HoH, and then she would tell the Prefects, who would tell the students.