Thread: Some Technical Grindelwald stuff

Evester

Some Technical Grindelwald stuff

Hey guys, I was just doing some research for my first fic (about Grindelwald) and have a couple issues:

Does anyone have any ideas as to Grindelwald's birth-year? I know he was a few years younger than Dumbledore, who was supposedly born in 1881? (Is that true?)

Also, does anyone remember when exactly he was killed in book 7?

Kind of unrelated, but is there any given information as to which grandparent (maternal/paternal) of Victor Krum's was killed by Grindelwald?

Thanks in advance! I am really excited about writing my first story. :-)

Eve-ster

The Canon Queen Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    Hermione Couldn’t Possibly Be In Two Places At Once
    Does anyone have any ideas as to Grindelwald's birth-year? I know he was a few years younger than Dumbledore, who was supposedly born in 1881? (Is that true?)

Also, does anyone remember when exactly he was killed in book 7?
    Here is what Lexicon lists for Grindelwald:

Birthdate: c.1883 (two years younger than Dumbledore) (DH18).
    Deathdate: 1998; killed while in Nurmengard Prison by Voldemort (DH23). Grindelwald's fate in Deathly Hallows directly contradicts a statement by J.K. Rowling in 2005 that Grindelwald died in 1945

It also states that Dumbledore and Grindelwald met in 1899, just after Dumbledore graduated from Hogwarts.

Kind of unrelated, but is there any given information as to which grandparent (maternal/paternal) of Victor Krum's was killed by Grindelwald?
    As far as Krum's grandfather's death, other than the mention of it in DH, (page 148) I can't find anything on it on the Lexicon site.

Hope this helps.
    Terri Black (as in Mrs Sirius {aka Padfoot} Black)
    Hufflepuff Head of House

Evester
    Thank you!

I do have another issue that I want to get people's opinions on. Do you think that Grindelwald would have discussed the Deathly Hallows/ his quest to people (other than Dumbledore, of course)- his advisors or close supporters, perhaps? He seems a bit more open than Voldemort was about, say, his horcruxes, but the hallows are still pretty personal. Any ideas, anyone?

hermy_loves_ron
    Dumbledore was born late summer 1881. If you go on the theory that Grindelwald had just finished (and been kicked out of) what would be equivalent to his fifth year at Durmstrang at the time of their meeting (summer of 1899), then he could have been born anywhere between September '82 and early June '83. If you want to go with the theory that he had just finished his sixth year, he would have had to have been born some time from mid June to late August '82.

I also am currently writing a fic involving these characters, and I have Grindelwald being born late Autust '82, which puts him just a teeny bit over a year younger than Albus.

Grindelwald was killed, I'm 99% sure, while HRH were being captured by Snatchers and taken to Malfoy Manor.

And we don't know which grandfather of Krum's was killed.

There's a nice little thread on Gellert in Madam Pomfrey's, if you want to check it out, and obviously a thread on Albus too, if you need it.

~Analisa

Mudblood_and_Proud_of_it
    Quote Originally Posted by Evester
    I do have another issue that I want to get people's opinions on. Do you think that Grindelwald would have discussed the Deathly Hallows/ his quest to people (other than Dumbledore, of course)- his advisors or close supporters, perhaps? He seems a bit more open than Voldemort was about, say, his horcruxes, but the hallows are still pretty personal. Any ideas, anyone?
    Hmmm... its kind of hard to tell because we never really know. If he did confide anything it would just be hints that he was looking for the Hallows, and nothing at all about wizard dominance. Dumbledore had said they were "two clever, arrogant boys" so I think Grindelwald would have wanted to figure it out himself (obviously with Dumbledore's help, thats all the help he'd really want)