Thread: Wizarding World Developments

Hybrid View

jenny b

Wizarding World Developments

Okay. I'm writing a post-Hogwarts fic, where Rose and Albus are in their fifth year. The year is 2021, I think.

My question is, how much do you think wizarding inventions would have developed by then? Mainly things like using ballpoint pens instead of quills, and lightbulbs instead of candles, and normal paper instead of parchment, and so on.

I know wizards are behind the times, but I think they would've progressed a little by then. Any thoughts?

Striped_Candycane
    I actually don’t agree that Wizards are behind the times. They just don’t have a need for the things that Muggles have to make their lives easier, such as aeroplanes, because they have their own magical alternatives (in this case, Apparition or broomsticks). The quills they have don’t seem to be as primitive as Muggle ones; for instance, they have a self-correcting one that seems to be the equivalent of spell-check as long as the spell is still fresh. The candles they have don’t seem to run low or blow out easily. As long as Wizards have these things, why on earth would they want a ballpoint pen or electricity?

So instead of “inventing” things that relate to the Muggle world, I think that Wizards would probably improve on what they already have. This would mean, for example, broomsticks that are much faster and have additional functions, or quills that were self-replenishing or ink that changed colour according to the writer’s mood. The Trio’s textbooks would also be out of date because of the new discoveries being made in the world of magic (potions, charms, creatures, etc.)

I also think that, if you wanted to have a Muggle’s equivalent for something, that Extendible Ears have a great potential for being used as “cell phones”. All you need is to fix them up a bit so that the Ears would not have a one way function, and so that you could contact anyone that had an Ear by whispering their name in it (or something like that).

In all, I think if you really wanted to bring innovation into the Wizarding World, you should probably work on what Wizards already have instead of thinking about how they could catch up with Muggles.

Not sure if this helped, just wanted to give my two cents!

~Veronica

Edit: I also checked the Lexicon, and the date of the Epilogue is actually 2017. That means that in their fifth year they would be in 2022 rather than 2021. It's pretty insignificant, but I just thought I'd let you know!

Excellent; well thought-through post. 5 points.

cmwinters
    Quote Originally Posted by jenny b
    My question is, how much do you think wizarding inventions would have developed by then? Mainly things like using ballpoint pens instead of quills, and lightbulbs instead of candles, and normal paper instead of parchment, and so on.
    They absolutely would not be using light bulbs, because light bulbs run off electricity, and electricity does not work around Hogwarts and other places with a great deal of magic (Diagon Alley, the Ministry, St Mungo's and the like.)

However, in places like the Dursleys, Hermione's parents house, the Creevy's home, and the Snape home, where there was at least one (non-magical) Muggle there, there's no reason to believe that the magic of the occupants interfered with the workings of the appliances, so apparently there has to be enough magic there to cause the interference. So you might see the interference in a place like the Burrow, where there are tons of magical people and a bunch of magical appliances and the like (such as Mrs Weasley's clock), but light bulbs are never going to be in wide use in the wizarding world because they won't work in all the wizarding places, and would therefore be inefficient.

(To say nothing of the fact that it's quite likely a number of magical families would look down upon using Muggle technology as a whole, as being behaviour unbecoming of a magical family.)

jenny b
    *headdesk*

Magic = no electricity. I can't believe I forgot that. I think I will just stick with the traditional things then, and like Veronica said, I'll just improve them a bit.

Thanks for all your help!

tbsbooboo
    Quote Originally Posted by jenny b
    Okay. I'm writing a post-Hogwarts fic, where Rose and Albus are in their fifth year. The year is 2021, I think.

I know wizards are behind the times, but I think they would've progressed a little by then. Any thoughts?
    I don't really think that this is development or lack there of. I think the reason the wizarding world uses things like candles and quils is because ball point pens and light bulbs are muggle items. Also wizards don't use electricity, so light bulbs are out again!
    But then again that is the way I think. So as the author, its all you!
    T