Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Being British: Garden Gate, Number Eight

Lyratearsx
    Any ideas for similar phrases in canon with Harry Potter's era?

Thanks for the definitions, anyway!

~Lyra

apollo13
    Well . . . we don't really have gangsta's . . . there are a few people who think they're gangsta, but we usually call them chavs, which stands for Council House And Violent. Very stereo-typical, but there you go.

Now, I can't be too sure about the 90's, because I'm a modern day teenager, but I'm pretty sure "innit" was about then. Sometimes it means "isn't it?" and then sometimes it just means good. Also, "is it!" used as "good", along with "propa!", "class!" "gold!"

~Evie

Gorgeous_Ginny
    Quote Originally Posted by apollo13
    Well . . . we don't really have gangsta's . . . there are a few people who think they're gangsta, but we usually call them chavs, which stands for Council House And Violent. Very stereo-typical, but there you go.

Now, I can't be too sure about the 90's, because I'm a modern day teenager, but I'm pretty sure "innit" was about then. Sometimes it means "isn't it?" and then sometimes it just means good. Also, "is it!" used as "good", along with "propa!", "class!" "gold!"

~Evie
    I'm sorry but I have to disagree there is gangsters where I live in the north, and they walk round talking like Evie said, however we have Charvs, which is where Chav originated from, since it is a Geordie and Mackhem term, (two types of people from north england), and they walk around in trackies, with the bottom of them tucked into the socks, with their Nike Air Max trainers and burberry or fred perry hoodys. Whereas Gangsters wear more of the baggy jeans, and baggy hoodys but not the same as charvs, with loads of heavy gold chains. (I know it seems really stereo typical but it is true.) But the terms Evie used to say what gangster things would be said are true really.

-Hannah

apollo13
    Well, that must be a northern thing, because down here all the chavs think they're gangsta, and wear a mixture of Charv and Gangsta clothes . . .although . . tucking trackies into socks?! That's quite geeky down here . . . whenever people are taking the mick out of the uniform rules, they button up the top button (we have open necks, and no ties), put some glasses on, a flower in their pocket, trousers pulled over belly button, pull up the socks as his as possible and tuck the trousers in, pull the straps on their rucksacks so tight that it's practically sitting on their shoulders and walk around saying things like "Hi! Wanna be my friend?" in nerdy voices, with a lisp, and sometimes a thick kinda voice, liek they're wearing braces.

**looks up**

That was really spammy, I'm sorry . . .

~Evie

Lyratearsx
    You two made me laugh! Thanks for your help!
    I think the nerd you described sounds like the kind of people we have over here!
    Thanks again!
    ~Lyra

Shamefully double-posting to ask which is the busiest city in Scotland.

~Lyra

Please do NOT double post - even if you apologise for it. Always edit your last post with the new question.

apollo13
    What do you mean by busiest? Most populated? The largest city is Glasgow, followed by Edinburgh.

~Evie

Evester
    Hello! Just wanted to ask what kind of insults a fifth-year (sixteen-year-old) Slytherin male (Montague) would use? It's for my fic about Cedric Diggory, and the context is that Montague is bullying one of Cedric's friends - a boy named Gage. Gage is really small for his age (Gage is 16 in this part, too), and that is what Montague is making fun of. I've already got him calling him a baby, and asking if he misses his mummy and all that, but I need another insult.

Also, I need an insult that is the equivalent of "loser" or something. Do you use "loser" in England?

I don't want anything too rude, of course. The rating is only 3rd-5th years.

Thanks for the help!

apollo13
    Darn, I had loads of good but rude insults there.

Loser would actually be fine. Maybe also, "you're so sad/pathetic". Is this boy a bit nerdy? Because nerd/geek/billy-no-mates (or just billy) would also work.

Oh, and this thread has gone way over the post limit. Does someone want to make a new one? (Is not brave enough to do it herself )

~Evie

Lyratearsx
    Evie darling, I went and made one for us!

linky!

Go and bring it up!

~Lyra