Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Being British: Garden Gate, Number Eight

emmaholloway
    The thing with British weather is that it is so tempremental you could probably have people sunbathing in February and wearing big coats and hats and scarves in June if you really wanted and it would still seem plausable.

Gorgeous_Ginny
    I agree with EmmaHolloway the British Weather is so random I'm going to an outdoor gig on Monday and with it being nearly summer you would think shorts and hot weather but no! Its predicted to be freezing with freak storms!

That is so not what summer is for, is it?

potterfan48

Speaking British - of course

I was wondering what everyone on that side of the big pond says when they are talking about someone who is drunk or getting drunk themselves. Not that anyone would ever do that on purpose.

Gorgeous_Ginny
    Well there is many things a person who is drunk can be called. Most of them can't be repeated on here for family reasons. But here's a few.

People who are drunk;

- Monged
    - Drunk
    - Tipsy
    - Out of It

People getting drunk themselves would say;

-I'm going drinkin' tonight
    - I'm going for a session

Or if they were already drunk and talking about themselves;

- (drunk manor) Eeee am proper drunk me like.
    - (drunk manor) I've got a bad head. I musta drank to much.

But mainly people who are drunk talking about themselves wouldn't actually talk they'd be walking around in a bit of a random way e.g. all over the path/road/grass!

Hope that was helpful.

emmaholloway
    Hammered would also be one. But the ones most used are probably the more explicit ones...

AurorKeefy
    And who better to explain the explicit ones than I? Especially since I am presently recovering from the very states involved!

When talking about the explicit versions, it seems prudent to first stop by at p****d. Although in US culture it refers to being angry/irritated, in England it is used solely (at least at the moment) to describe alcohol based inebriation. Equally, a drunken night out would be called "A Night on the P**s". This is an extremely common phrase, used frequently by teenagers/young adults, but used by most of the population informally.

The other one, used frequently by the younger slice of the population (probably going back as far as Marauder era), is "S**tfaced" ie. "I was absolutely s**tfaced last night".

I cite these examples because they are both common, and typically British expressions. There are, of course, all manner of swear words used to describe being drunk, but those are the only two worth posting here, I feel.

To list a couple of other phrases, I'll use a bit of a sliding scale.

Severus goes out to the pub, sober. After two or three gillywaters, he is feeling a little bit tipsy. Nonetheless, he moves onto the cider. It is only when Minerva arrives that Severus realises he is half-cut. In spite of this, Severus continues drinking, and before long is full blown drunk. Quaffing yet another pint of Cider, Severus and Minerva joing Albus and Filius at the pool table. Unfortunately, in spite of normally being quite a good player, Severus loses to Filius, because he is now absolutely battered. Continuing on, the now trollied [as in of trolleys] Severus sits down in the corner of the room for a moment of quiet contemplation. Within five minutes, and several glasses of tequila, he has lost the ability to speak - coherently or otherwise - cannot hope to stand up, is only able to look out of one eye at a time, and has a steady stream of drool pouring from the corner of his mouth. He is destroyed.

IndieRocknRoll
    I would like to add bladdered, ranks about the same as trollied in my book.

Shev
    And a few more for the score with smashed, wasted and plastered.

hermybabay82
    Okay... this really isn't a British question, however this was the closest reference desk for this country. >.< In Ireland, do Drivers Licenses or other photo ID's show not only the photo of the person who it belongs to but also a physical description.

For example, here in the states(Oklahoma specifically), our Driver's License shows a picture and then states the persons date of birth, height, weight, race, sex, hair color, and eye color.

Thanks for the help!

~Stacy~

Edit: Awesome! I appreciate the help you two!

Gorgeous_Ginny
    Well in England we have full name with Mr, Ms, Miss,Mr etc then d.o.b, sex, race and I think thats it really, I'm sure this will be the same in Northern Ireland as its part of the U.K. however southern ireland may be slightly different.