Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Being British: Garden Gate, Number Eight

apollo13
    Both can actually be used. We're meant to use the km system, but hardly anyone actually does. Certianly in Harry's time everyone would be using miles.

~Evie

Gorgeous_Ginny
    Yeah we use the Mile system, also many people still use pint instead of Litres like if you were going to a pub or if you went to a butchers or wanted something weighed people use pounds instead of Grams.

Hope that helped!

Azhure
    Ok, thanks. That makes it a lot easier for me!

~~Azhure~~

Fourth Year Gryffindor
    Snape Hates Me

Baby powder vs talcum

Would one refer to the soft lovely smelling powder put on a baby as baby powder or talcum powder, just talcum or something all together different? If I used the word talcum, would it bring to mind the lovely smelling stuff, or the plain talcum that grown ups use and which has little fragrance? This is Marauder era time frame also. Thanks.

apollo13
    I've always reffered to it as talcum powder, or just talc.

~Evie

Rushia
    I wasn't sure if this one went in this thread or in the spelling differences thread, but ... how do Brits shorten "did you"? I know that all the time I write it "didja," but I'm also Texan, so that might explain that.

Savannah Hen Slytherin
    Sirius Black Entered Gryffindor Tower
    hi, I don't think we shorten did you at all, at least I never do - I've def never said didja, but it could be that people from other regions do shorten it.

Adrian won a QSQ! Thanks to Minnabird for the beautiful banner. Click on it to read Stolen Magic - the story of the second wizarding war through a very different character's eyes.

Pheonix Tears
    how do Brits shorten "did you"?
    d'you. I use that sometimes. Not alot though.

-Elle

apollo13
    Actually, we usually say, "d'you?" The two words sort of merge together. It appears quite a lot in the books.

~Evie

rita_skeeter
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought "'d'you" was an abbreviated version of "do you", not "did you". I don't think we really do abbreviate "did you" in any way.