Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Being British: Garden Gate, Number Eight

apollo13
    Yes, it is usually "do you?" I'm sorry, I mis-read the post. >.<

~Evie

Gorgeous_Ginny
    Yeah I would say where I'm from we use did ya? In like an oh my god fashion!

apollo13
    But I wouldn't put that in a fic. Because it reads very American.

~Evie

potterfan48

Questions about British slang

I have a couple of questions about slang terms in England. I would prefer if these were used in the 90's. The first term would be what some one would call a promiscuous female.( I know this is a family site so please be kind with answers.) If there are terms that girls would use to descibe another girls, and other things that a boy would say please tell me both.

Also, what would someone in jolly olde England say if they wanted to descibe a beautiful and sexy lady, but not be too degrading. In the states the term 'hot' is used to express that view.

Pinkcess of the Abyss
    Hmmm... *ponders back to the good old 90s...*

I was quite young then; the 90s were my preteen years, and the only words to decribe a woman who was a little naughty, are well... not appropriate for a family site.

You could use terms such as, "Nay; she's well manky," (Disgusting, distastful, dirty), or "She's filth!" or "I wouldn't touch that with a ten-foot barge pole!" or, "Nar, that's just plain dirty." or maybe, "She's a dirty little scrubber." And now you also know my dialect. *laughs*

The cleanist word a girl might use would be slapper, but to be honest I'm not sure how rude that word is... I think of it as the more polite term, compared to the other S words, and the W word.

You could also use phrases, such as, "She's the village bike," perhaps in the wizarding community, "She's the village broom,"

I know some more sayings, but they are quite questionable, so if you wanted to know them I'd have to pm them. They don't contain swear words, but it's quite clear what they mean. The English like to have sayings to decribe things... it makes life more interesting.

To describe a beautiful sexy lady, they might say, fit. "She's well fit, her!" or, "Thats a fair, nice bit of skirt." or, "That is well nice..." Maybe it's just where I'm from, once again most of the saying to describle a beautiful lady tend to be degrading... I know; I feel for me too.

All these are in a more Northen Lancashire dialect, so Southeners wouldn't really speak like this, neither would more Northeners... it's rather regional. For example, I'm pretty sure southeners wouldn't say, "She's goin awt on't pop wit cardigan crew," (discribing ones mother, or grandmother going out for a drink with her friends), but then again I might be wrong... Some southeners might use those sayings. *shrugs*

If you know where your characters are from, then you can get a better idea of what they might say. Differant areas have differant slang, much like America really... I mean, I can't understand half of what the Geordies say, and from experiance I know Londons can't understand us lot.

apollo13
    I'm a Southener, and I've mainly heard boys talk about girls who are attractive as "well fit".

For a "naughty" woman, I would go with a loose woman or a scarlett woman - they seem like 90's sort of phrases, and I believe scarlett woman is used in the books.

Of course, I am a teen in 2008, I was a small child in the 90's. >.<

~Evie

AurorKeefy
    Teens: Slut, Slapper, Tart, Whore.

Scarlet woman is a rather old phrase, presumeably used originally as a euphamism for prostitute, and then eventually being used to describe promiscuity. Even in the nineties wizarding world, however, the phrase was very much out of date - hence Hermione's laughter when Ron uses the phrase, borrowed from his mother.

Village bicycle is a rural one (obviously), as is unlikely to be used commonly by teenagers/young adults, unless they borrow their insults from their parents rather than their peers.

Scrubber, seemingly a term confined to Lancashire since only me and Pinkcess seem to know it, is rather different - at least where I was from. The term was used during the nineties by children as a very offensive term for someone who was visibly poor, probably with hygiene problems. To be honest, I'd stay away from the term, as not many people who would make the grade of "scrubber" would ever get chance to be a "slapper".

The disclaimer for all this, of course, is that while I was a teenager through much of the nineties, I was a teenage boy. What the girls were saying between them, I don't know, but those were certainly the phrases used in male or mixed company.

Edit: At a risk of sounding rather defensive Emma, I don't think any of the listed words exactly count as high profanity, and if we're to be explaining terms for those who don't understand them, then saying "the w word" isn't massively helpful.

I add then, that some people find slut/whore particularly offensive. Personally, I have never found them to be any worse than slapper, for example. Slut I would regard as slang rather than profanity, and whore is a legitimate word - if originally used incorrectly to describe a promiscious woman - that now has a valid secondary meaning in slang.

emmaholloway
    You don't beat around the bush much, do you Aurorkeefy?
    Everyone else skirts around it but you just bring out the profanity.

But I have to agree, those are the terms most used.

'Fit' would also be a very 90s thing to say about someone you thought looked good.

potterfan48
    Thanks, everyone for the help with my dilemma.

I like the terms Slapper and Tart. I,ve heard tart before, but I was afraid it was to old for teens of the nineties to use. The other two words that aurokeefy suggested feel to American for me. I hear them used all the time here.

I have another question about Briticisms. I want to introduce an American professor to Hogwarts and i thought of naming him Willie Pratt. If my knowledge of British slang is correct this name should be rather amusing to the students. I may also be way off target. Let me know!

emmaholloway
    Well I did actually have a giggle when I saw read it, so Willie Pratt (tee hee) definately on track, although I might just be really really immature.