Thread: Question about Students

dreamgirl65

Question about Students

Exactly how many students would be in Harry's class? How likely would it be for them all to be in a class together? Given, of course, that it wouldn't be completely academic?

hermybabay82
    I think the Lexicon has it narrowed down to five new girls and five new boys for each house, each year. But I could be wrong about that.

BertieBotsBeans741
    I believe that J.K. Rowling cleared that up in an interview awhile ago. There are tons of Hogwarts students. We just don't know about all of them. But don't hold me on it as I can't find the particular interview...

Brittany

MissyQuill
    Yes, I remember that interview Brittany mentioned. I believe Jo said that though we see about eight student in Harry's year (5 boys (Harry, Ron, Neville, Seamus, Dean) and 3 girls (Hermione, Lavender, Parvati)), there are actually loads more.

She quoted a sum of around some 700 students in the whole of Hogwarts, which gives us about roughly 150 students per house.

Hope that helped.=Sammy

jojo_dolphin2394
    I've always found this essay helpful. Here's the link.

Also, in your question about classes, Gryffindors have classes with one other house until sixth year. I guess there would be up to 20 pupils in each class until then. For NEWT, it all depends on how popular the class is and how many want to take it, as all houses are taught together, I think.

As for all the students in a year, I think it's around 40 per year, making it 280. This link may be able to help you.

~ Jojo...

AurorKeefy
    Personally, when thinking about the numbers of wizarding students, I had assumed that average year (pre-NEWT) level had between 30 and 40 students, with obviously certain years being rather more heavily or sparsely populated, depending on other factors (lots of people eloping and having kids in one year, for example). Overall, I'd have placed the school population at around 250 (including NEWTS).

She quoted a sum of around some 700 students in the whole of Hogwarts, which gives us about roughly 150 students per house.
    I am generally prepared to listen to what J.K. Rowling has to say, and stand by it, unless it regards post book-seven events or maths. It is, of course, reasonable to suggest we don't know everyone in Harry's year, but to suggest that his dorm is filled with several other invisible boys - one's that not only fail to interact whatsoever with him - the most famous boy of his age - but also, seemingly his classmates? It's not like there are people around whose names we don't know, there is no reference to anyone else there! Besides which, given the limited amount of wizards in Britain, 150 students per house would put the wizarding world into some form of population explosion, particuarly given how long wizards live. Sorry Jo, but I'll take my own maths on that one.

Snape's Talon
    Others have suggested a theory in which one has to take into account population growth and the impact of the previous wizarding war. Basically, in the past there were probably more students than in Harry's day and age.