Thread: NEWT's

Second Year Hufflepuff
    Beset by Owls

NEWT's

How exactly DO the NEWT's work? What classes do you have to take NEWT's in and what OWL grades do you have to take a NEWT? I've never been completely sure on this topic and I have no idea how the classes normally work, but considering my new fic will be doing a lot of NEWT studying I need to know how it works! Please help!

cmwinters
    Quote Originally Posted by ginnypotter19
    How exactly DO the NEWT's work? What classes do you have to take NEWT's in and what OWL grades do you have to take a NEWT? I've never been completely sure on this topic and I have no idea how the classes normally work, but considering my new fic will be doing a lot of NEWT studying I need to know how it works! Please help!
    I imagine their actual administration is not unlike the OWLs. However, as near as I can tell, the NEWTs are more or less a purely elective set of classes, based in great part on what your OWLs were, and also what your character(s) want to do with their lives.

For example, the healers, curse breakers, and Aurors all have fairly explicit grade recommendations. For Harry to become an Auror he had to have at *least* five NEWTs with nothing below an E, and the required subjects were Defence, Transfiguration, Potions, Charms (and another, which clearly wasn't CoMC, Arithmancy, Ancient Runes, Divination, Muggle Studies or History, since Harry didn't take those classes in 6th year, although it's possible that the five NEWTs only required those four, with the other being any subject, including those Harry didn't take).

However, the classes for curse-breakers are different than the ones for healers, for example. Healers need Charms, Transfiguration, Potions, Defence and Herbology, whereas the curse breakers definitely need Arithmancy, and most likely Ancient Runes and Defense as well as Charms (and probably some others). The Unspeakables would probably have yet again different requirements, although that may depend on which department within the DoM they were going to work for (obviously, those in the Hall of Prophecy would have to have Divination).

Remember in OotP where McGonagall was doing the career counselling with her students, and that's when Harry (well, and the others) had to figure out what to concentrate on.

This page on the Lexicon may give you a bit more information (and the links it references, as well): http://www.hp-lexicon.org/hogwarts/c...mics.html#OWLs

witch6
    How exactly DO the NEWT's work?
    As CM said, it is most likely to be like the OWLs. You need to write essays, do research, projects, etc. I think in the NEWTs level there is more of research and less of learning when compared to the OWLs level seeing that they have more free time and work.

What classes do you have to take NEWT's in and what OWL grades do you have to take a NEWT?
    It really depends on what you want to do after you pass out of Hogwarts. Not unlike what an 11th or 12th class student would do in the muggle world. As for the OWL grades, I think a pass grade is the minimum, and the rest would depend on the teacher. For example, for Potions Snape wanted an O while for DADA he definitely accepted students who got an E or maybe even lesser.Slughorn on the other hand accepted students with an E or O grade in Potions. McGonagall wanted an E at least while Flitwick was happy with an A or more. So, it really depends on the teacher.

I hope I helped!

Second Year Hufflepuff
    Beset by Owls
    Thank you for your help. So I take it that by both your explanation and Lexicon's they NEWT's and OWL's go on at the same time, and that is at the end of the year? So by that time the NEWT students only have to take probably four to five classes in their seventh year, probably leaving them a lot of free time and studying? Thank you so much!

More Help: What other jobs in the wizarding world are there besides Healers and Aurors that require NEWT's. I have this character, Phoenix, but I'm not sure what I want him to do after NEWT's and what classes he is taking so far because I don't know which ones he is needing to take. What are some jobs that he could do for an extremely smart, funny, arrogant man and what classes would he have to take for it? Also, what grade must he have had on his OWL to be in this class?

EDIT: witch6, thank you for your help too! I posted this just after you did and hadn't seen your post! Sorry! But your help is most greatful and helpful as well!

witch6
    What other jobs in the wizarding world are there besides Healers and Aurors that require NEWT's. I have this character, Phoenix, but I'm not sure what I want him to do after NEWT's and what classes he is taking so far because I don't know which ones he is needing to take. What are some jobs that he could do for an extremely smart, funny, arrogant man and what classes would he have to take for it? Also, what grade must he have had on his OWL to be in this class?

As a rule whenever I am trying to think of a job for someone in the wizarding world, I think of what he might do if he was a muggle. As in whatever jobs are requires in the muggle world must be required in the wizarding world as well. For example, though it's not mentioned in the books, I'm sure we have wizard architects who design and build houses. Similarly, every job in the muggle world has an equivalent in the wizarding world.

As for Phoenix, if he is interested in show biz, he could become a comedian or an actor (both do the same thing actually). If he chooses anything like this, he doesn't need to study specific subjects, but whatever interests him. You could use the Skele-Gro Plot Potion forum for more help about what carrer he might want to opt for. If you need help about what subjects he should choose, just ask me, I'll be more than happy to help!

xpadfootsangelx

Wow

What other jobs in the wizarding world are there besides Healers and Aurors that require NEWT's. I have this character, Phoenix, but I'm not sure what I want him to do after NEWT's and what classes he is taking so far because I don't know which ones he is needing to take. What are some jobs that he could do for an extremely smart, funny, arrogant man and what classes would he have to take for it? Also, what grade must he have had on his OWL to be in this class?

Wow. And I mean WOW. So many possibilities. This question s like 'what jobs careers require a college education?'

Try something with numbers first. Working for the bank for instance. Anywhere at the bank. Like Bill. Handling people's money in anyway, I think, would require NEWTs. In what...well, do some research.

Then you could be a teacher. Just study for whatever you want to teach.

You could be some kind of advanced plant caretaker (extreme gardener? No idea) or the equvilant, except for which animals/creatures (like Charlie).

Also, anything at the ministry. SOOO many departments. I'm sure all and any would require some heavy duty NEWTs.

I suggest looking through the books, studying everyone's jobs and such. Also, look through the book (I think it's OotP...) that has all the job pamphlets. Those should provide some pretty interesting ideas.

Second Year Hufflepuff
    Beset by Owls
    Well the reason why I didn't want him to work as an Auror/(any ministry official) or Healer is because so many people use those for a job with their character. If you would take a look at Phoenix you would see that he isn't the sort of person that would have the patience enough to stand/sit still. I guess he could go for Gringotts and take care of the things even farther down in the vaults.... I'll look up some facts on Bill then, and see what he had to do to work at Gringotts. Thank you for your help!

JOHN91043353
    Well GinnyPotter19, it seems like I find your threads everywhere I go.

I can see Phoenix as a curse-breaker. Traveling around the world breaking curses in ancient bildings and such. He seems to that kind of person that would need a job where you don't just sit still. Since he likes transfiguration maybe you should find a job that has with that to do. He could be a journalist at the prophet or some other wizard magazine. There is also a lot of organizations in the wizard world, like S.S.S. (Society for the Support of Squibs) or the Troll rights movement. If he likes quidditch, there is probably a lot of works in that area. That is just some of the jobs I can think off. Good luck

Second Year Hufflepuff
    Beset by Owls
    Quote Originally Posted by JOHN91043353
    Well GinnyPotter19, it seems like I find your threads everywhere I go.

I can see Phoenix as a curse-breaker. Traveling around the world breaking curses in ancient bildings and such. He seems to that kind of person that would need a job where you don't just sit still. Since he likes transfiguration maybe you should find a job that has with that to do. He could be a journalist at the prophet or some other wizard magazine. There is also a lot of organizations in the wizard world, like S.S.S. (Society for the Support of Squibs) or the Troll rights movement. If he likes quidditch, there is probably a lot of works in that area. That is just some of the jobs I can think off. Good luck
    Oh! I forgot all about curse-breaking! That does sound like him right? I could relate his love for transfiguration link in with it some how.... Thank you! I'm still thinking of what exactly he will become after Hogwarts.