Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Marauders' Characterisation

Third Year Hufflepuff
    Hut-on-the-Rock, The Sea
    Quote Originally Posted by Padfoot Patronus
    I agree with Elf about Sirius' lineage being an important factor in Slughorn's mind to make him a part of the Slug Club.

I think he accepted Ginny because he was impressed by her timely spell and for her bat-bogey being a very good piece of magic. If this is true for Slughorn's general recruitment criteria, then it is possible that Slughorn be impressed by good wand-work in the numerous pranks the Marauders' played at Hogwarts.

- Akay
    What I meant was that causing trouble does not exclude you from being in the Slug Club. I think that James coming from a wealthy family would be enough reason for Slughorn to invite him into the club. Of course whether he and Sirus would go is a different matter.

Azhure
    I wouldn't think causing trouble would exclude them from the club. Ginny did cast that spell when she really shouldn't have cast it. If it had been any other teacher, Ginny would've gotten into trouble.

~~Azhure~~

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Going way back to the first post- swearing.

Ron does use 'git' a few times. I'd imagine James and Sirius using words like that.

The other thing that JK does with Ron is a lot of implied swearing- i think in DH or HBP he says "What in the name of Merlins most saggy left..." I always assumed he'd say a rude word for testical there.

Hope this helps.
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

loopyloonyluna
    Quote Originally Posted by Hufflepuff at Heart
    which members of the Marauders do you think would be in the Slug Club?

Would James and Sirius be in it, as they both did very well in school, or would their reputation as troublemakers have kept them out?
    i think james and sirius would have gotten invited to be in the slug club, but i dont think they would have gone to the parties without some kind of other motivation (i.e. alcohol, lily going, a chance to meet someone fameous, etc). slughorn had the parties to gain student's trust who he believed would be somebody in the magical world someday... i dont think he would have uninvited people b/c of the amount of trouble they got in.. especially if that trouble involved using complex bits of magic. i think that definitely james and sirius would have been invited, because of their lineage and apparent natural magical skill. i think remus would have been invited if he was good at potions, and if slughorn didnt know his "furry little secret." peter would not have been invited for obvious reasons. however, i think the marauders wouldn't have wanted to go to a party thrown by one of their professors. they would have considered themselves simply too cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Hufflepuff at Heart
    do you think Lily or James would have been considered the better duelist (I think that's the word!) at school?
    i think that depends on who's opinion you're asking. by the students, i think that james would have been considered the better dueller, because he duels in the hallways, and in front of the students, rather often. however, by the teachers, i think you could write either being the better duellist well. they have both been portrayed as being very good at magic, and both defied voldy three times, so both would have to have been good at dueling!

emck
    James and Sirius were sort of the leaders of the group, obviously. They were the cool people, and everyone wanted to hang out with them. But think back to when they were tiny, dorky first years. They all lived together in a dorm, and as anyone who's ever gone to boarding school will tell you, it's hard to live with someone for as long as the Marauders lived together and not become friends with them. I can imagine James and Sirius being friends straight away, and then kind of adopting Remus and Peter and bringing them into their little club. Peter most definietly would have needed to have some redeeming qualities - they wouldn't have bothered making friends with him just for an ego boost, though that could definitely have had something to do with it. Really, I think James and Sirius might have invented the Mauraders in the first few months of school, and then just have wanted to have a few more members, and Remus and Peter were there, had some good qualities or even just the potential to have good qualities that would be useful in the Marauders, and so James and Sirius would have befriended them.

Ok, I don't think that really makes any sense, does it. Whatever

Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    McGonagall Likes My Quidditch Skills
    I don't know whether this question is specifically related to the Marauders characterisation, but couldn't think of where else to put this forward.

Okay, so I've read fictions where the Marauders frequently congregate at one of their houses post-Hogwarts. My concern is that once they are in the Order, and especially when James and Lily are married and the War is getting heated, I think it'd only be a rare occasion when they'd gather together for a chat at one place (except for when they do see each other at Order meetings). The others coming over for dinner for instance, how does that sound? Some could say Lily and James are in hiding and wouldn't most likely do so.

What are your views?

- Akay

"Same story, different versions, and all are true."
    - Tia Dalma, Pirates of the Caribbean II

Lovely banner by ze bean and avatar from the brilliant
    LJ home of mrserinreynolds

deviantART page here

Victoire
    Quote Originally Posted by Padfoot Patronus

Okay, so I've read fictions where the Marauders frequently congregate at one of their houses post-Hogwarts. My concern is that once they are in the Order, and especially when James and Lily are married and the War is getting heated, I think it'd only be a rare occasion when they'd gather together for a chat at one place (except for when they do see each other at Order meetings). The others coming over for dinner for instance, how does that sound? Some could say Lily and James are in hiding and wouldn't most likely do so.

What are your views?
    I really think that you can go either way with this. Although my personal take on the matter would be that they saw each other very rarely. James and Lily were starting their life together, starting their family. The war is getting VERY intense. Order meetings deffinatly would be place for them to see one another, and possibly catch up. Most likely none of them would have much time on their hands being as Order missions would be vital at this point in the war. Really though, you can take this either way. Hope this helps !

Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    McGonagall Likes My Quidditch Skills
    Victoire!

Yes. Well, that is what I was fearing. But I think it sounds more plausible than the other option. Ah and hmm, because that means I have some tweaking to do in my chapter.

Thank you.

-Akay

"Same story, different versions, and all are true."
    - Tia Dalma, Pirates of the Caribbean II

Lovely banner by ze bean and avatar from the brilliant
    LJ home of mrserinreynolds

deviantART page here

Midnight Storm

Remus is a werewolf?

What do you think James, Sirius and Peter's reactions were when they found out about Remus's lycanthropy?

I personally think Peter would have been terrified out of his wits.

But James and Sirius? The books make it sound like they didn't care the slightest. But don't you think they'd have een a bit wary at first? Ron, who comes from a very unprejudiced family cries "Get away from me, werewolf," when he finds out.

Sirius, I assume, would have grown up hearing that werewolves were scum, and that they were dangerous. It just seems a little strange that he wouldn't care at all.

Am I underestimating the marauders' loyalty?

Probably, but let me know your thoughts anyway

~Midnight Storm

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Being Chased by Singing Dwarves with Valentines
    I always thought that the Marauders valued friendship beyond almost anything. I think that yes, Peter would be scared, but I almost think that because James and Sirius knew Remus so well, they would find it to be great adventure. I don't know if this is canon or not, but for some reason, I always thought that they found out by themselves. I think that by that point, they all would have been such good friends by then, that they wouldn't overly care. Would they be surprised? Well, maybe not all that much, as they were room mates and they would have noticed he was gone once a month. I think to the Marauders, Remus's "furry little problem" was a new and fun adventure.
    GRYFFINDOR PRIDE!
    Avvie by me, banner by TM_Wandstick.
    It matters not what one is born, but what they become.Don't let your praying knees get lazy, and love like crazy!