Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weekly Drabble Challenge - Historical Splinches: Leap Year - Results Posted

Ebil Gato Loco Ravenclaw
    He's The Dog... He's An Animagus...

Weekly Drabble Challenge - Historical Splinches: Leap Year - Results Posted

LEAP YEAR!!
    Woooot!
    >.>
    <.<

Your prompt this time around is just that. I'm going to make this a 'free for all' challenge meaning anything goes as long as "leap year" is the central theme or idea used to inspire your writing. It can consist of anything such as a birthday, ritual, tradition, etc. Or perhaps a leap year means absolutely nothing to wizarding folk. Cheers!

Have fun!

The following form must be used when submitting your drabble responses to this post -
    Name:
    House:
    Title:
    Warnings:
    Words:
    Winners will be awarded 15, 10, and 5 points respectively.

All drabbles must be less than 500 words; All standard grammar rules, and MNFF submissions guidelines apply.

The challenge will be up for a week, and be closed exactly a week later (February 29nd)

MithrilQuill and I will be judging them and posting results a couple of days later. The current judging time is a week - Teh Gato is very busy.
    Sorry. -hugs-

All questions should be referred to the Question Corner - Do not post questions here. Only drabbles!

Other than that...have fun!

~Gato Loco & Mith~

I've left moddom/fandom...though don't be surprised if I get caught lurking once in a blue moon.
    All questions pertinent to Ravenclaw need to be sent to ToBeOrNotToBeAGryffindor
    If you wish to keep in touch, feel free to friend me on LJ - I don't friend anyone under the age of 18. Sorry!

Otherwise, so long, and thanks for all the fish!

hermionefan25

leap year

Name:hermionefan25/hope
    House:hufflepuff
    Title:leap year
    Warnings:none
    Words: 305 LEAP YEAR!

Hermione and Ron were sitting in the burrow waiting for Harry to come in the summer holidays before there 7 year. Hermione was reading a book about leap years "whats that about?"Ron asked she looked up from the book "what sorry?" she was too engrossed in her book."I said what is your book about?" he replied "oh its about leap years" he looked confused
    "what?"
    " leap years or intercalary year is a year containing one or more extra days or, in case of lunisolar calendars, an extra month in order to keep the calendar year synchronised with the astronomical or seasonal year. For example, February would have 29 days in a leap year instead of the usual 28. Seasons and astronomical events do not repeat at an exact number of full days, so a calendar which had the same number of days in each year would over time drift with respect to the event it was supposed to track. By occasionally inserting (or intercalating) an additional day or month into the year, the drift can be corrected. A year which is not a leap year is called a common year." she said matter if factly. Ron still looked confused
    "in English" he said looking at Hermione in bemusement
    "a year with more days really" she said he nodded
    "your so smart"he said looking in her chocolate brown eyes
    "thank you Ronald"
    "I love you " he looked shocked as he said it
    "and I love you too Ronald" so did she they looked at each other a blushed bright red, they looked at each other and kissed. They finally let out there feelings, in the corner by the door 2 red headed twins were sniggering in the doorway "new the truth potion would work" one said to the other "weasley wizard wheezes stikes again"

Weasleyboyfreak
    Name: Weasleyboyfreak
    House:Proud Puff
    Title: Wedding Wishes
    Warnings: DH spoilers
    Words:500

And for those of you who dont know, it is tradition for a woman to ask for a man's hand in marriage only on a leap year. Check it out

“Calm down, Hermione,” Ginny Weasley said, watching her best mate pace her tiny bedroom. “I’m sure it wasn‘t that bad.”

Hermione groaned sitting down on her bed, an irritated expression on her face. The busy haired girl looked like she was ready to pull her hair out of her head.

“Talk to me,” Ginny said, moving over and sitting down next to Hermione. “What happened?”

“Nothing happened, and that is just it!” Hermione raged, looking upset now. “I tired of waiting of Ronald to propose! I’m starting to think he never will!”

Ginny sighed, a thoughtful expression on her face. The fiery redhead looked at Hermione, a smirk coming over her face, remembering the events of the last battle. Ginny knew how insecure her brother was about everything that had to do with his love life. She would have thought that since he was dating, his confidence would improve, but obviously, she was mistaken.

“Hermione, who made the first move for the relationship?” Ginny suddenly asked with a raised brow.

“I did, but I don’t see what that has to do with anything, Ginny,” Hermione said, her brown eyes scanning the room.

“Well, if you made the first move on my brother, what does that tell you?” Ginny asked, trying to motion her friend towards the honest truth about her brother.

“That he’s a great prat with the emotional range of a teaspoon?” Hermione answered, pulling a book out of her trunk. “We are going to be stuck in a dating relationship for the rest of our lives! It seems like he never has time anymore because of his Auror training.”

“No, and I thought you were cleaver,” Ginny said, shaking her head with disappointment. “It means that Ron is afraid to take the next step in the relationship, just like he was with starting it. You’ve got to ask him, Hermione, or else you’ll be an old cat lady like my Aunt Tessie.”

Hermione turned and looked at Ginny, an unreadable expression on her face. The bushy-haired bookworm, suddenly closed her book, and set it down on the bed.

“But, Ginny, I read in Wizarding World Today that it is the responsibility of the male to propose! If you don’t, the book said you’re marriage wont count as an authentic one!” Hermione said, looking worried now.

Ginny burst out into laughter, Hermione throwing her a dirty look.

“Hermione, just ask him, that’s a lot of rubbish!”

“That is easy for you to say, Mrs. Potter, Harry already asked you!”

“Well if you that concerned about it, a leap year is coming up!” Ginny smiled with a raised brow.

“So?” Hermione asked, opening her book back up.

“So, in ’wizarding tradition’,” Ginny said, in almost a mocking tone. “A woman has the right to ask a man for his hand in marriage on a leap year!”

“Ginny, you’re brilliant!” Hermione said, tackling her friend into a hug, ready to take the next step in her relationship.

Heather25x
    Name: Heather25x
    House: Hugglepuff
    Title: A Drop of Hope
    Warnings: None
    Words: 494 (i had to edit a lot lol)

It's traditional for a Snowdrop flower to mean "hope" in a Leap Year. Find out about that here.

‘Oh, Hermione, don’t cry,’ said Ginny sympathetically.

Hermione cried even louder and Ginny and Luna exchanged worried looks.

‘Look, Hermione, why don’t you just go and say sorry to Ron?’ Ginny suggested hopefully.

‘Sorry?’ Hermione said spitefully. ‘Why should I say sorry? It’s not me who is completely devoid of emotion. It’s not me who wants to stay in the same place in our relationship forever! It’s not me who - ’

‘OK, I get it, it isn’t you,’ Ginny sighed. ‘Look, when Harry proposed to me it was way into the relationship, and I have to drop loads of hints before he asked me to marry him!’

‘Yes but Harry didn’t tell you he never wanted to get married!’ Hermione said, tears still streaming down her face.

‘Ron said that?’ Luna said, sounding shocked.

‘Yes,’ said Hermione sadly. ‘All I know is that Ron said he never wants to marry.’

‘I can’t believe he’d say that!’ Ginny said furiously. ‘I knew he was an idiot but I didn’t know he was that much of an idiot.’

‘Maybe the Wrackspurt got him,’ Luna said dreamily. Hermione and Ginny looked at her curiously. ‘Affects your brain,’ Luna said, twirling a finger near her ear to signify madness.

‘Well, Wrackspurt or not,’ Hermione continued, ‘all I know is that my relationship with Ron is over.’

‘Oh Hermione, don’t say that -’ Luna said.

‘No, I mean it!’ Hermione shrieked, standing up and brushing her bushy hair out of her eyes. ‘Ron said there’s no hope for a marriage with us. Which means there’s no hope for a relationship, either.’

Suddenly they heard the doorbell chiming.

‘Shall I get that?’ Luna asked Hermione kindly.

‘No,’ said Hermione. She stood up, smoothed down her hair and clothes and sniffed. Ginny handed her a tissue, which Hermione took gratefully. The doorbell rang again. Hermione put down the tissue and walked to the door.

She opened the door and gasped. There was Ron, standing there, holding a big bouquet of white flowers. He slowly handed her the flowers, which Hermione took with a trembling hand.

‘They’re Snowdrops,’ Ron said, looking into her eyes.

Hermione frowned, confused.

‘In a leap year,’ said Ron quickly, ‘legend says that Snowdrops first start growing on February twenty-ninth. They symbolise hope. Take these flowers, Hermione,’ said Ron, ‘and whenever you look them remember that there’s always hope for us. And of course there’s always hope for marriage.’

Hermione dropped the flowers on the floor and threw herself at Ron. She hugged him tightly, and began to cry once again.

He withdrew from the hug and took her by the shoulders. ‘I’m sorry I said we could never get married, Hermione. I was scared. But I realise now that I want nothing more than to marry the woman I love.’

‘That’s…that’s you, by the way,’ he said uncertainly. Hermione laughed and hugged him again.

As they hugged, they heard a faint, ‘awww,’ from the living room.

~Heather

hermione210
    Name: hermione210
    House: Gryffindor
    Title: Birthday Tears
    Warnings: None
    Words: 329

Idea based off my mom's friend who was born on the 29th. Apparently she didn't understand the theory behind the 29th when she was little and nearly freaked once when her birthday wasn't on the calendar.

“But… But my birfday is tomorrow.”

“Oh, honey, your birthday doesn’t happen this year, so we’re celebrating today.”

“Bu… But Mummy, if I don’t have a birfday this year, then I don’t turn five.”

“No, Han, you still turn five,” her mother said absently, spooning cake batter into a pan, oblivious to the torment on her daughter’s face.

Hannah Abbot’s lower lip began to tremble. “But I can’t be five if my birfday doesn’t happen!” A small tear slowly slid down her face, but it was quickly followed by others- many, many others.

“Oh, Han, don’t cry. It’s your birthday. There aren’t supposed to be birthday tears,” her mother said soothingly as she quickly placed the cake in the oven. Mrs. Abbot then took her small daughter’s hand and led her over to the couch. “Let me explain about leap years, okay?”

Hannah nodded and clambered up onto the sofa, rubbing at her face with a small fist. “A leap year is a very special year. It only comes every four years. Do you know how many days there are in a year, Hannah?”

“T- Tree hundred and sisty-five.”

“Right. Well, once every four years there’s an extra day in February. And you were born on that extra day.”

“But why not every year?”

“Because there are really 365 and one-quarter days in every year. And someone decided a long time ago that we shouldn’t have a quarter of a day every year, but save that quarter-day and have a whole extra day every four years. And you were born on that extra day, so your real birthday only happens every four years. But you still turn five, even if your birthday isn’t here.”

“Okay, Mummy. Can I lick the cake spoon?”

“Sure, Han.”

“To think I used to not like my birthday only coming every four years!” Hannah Abbot laughed at her 92nd birthday party. “I’m going to love being able to say that I’m only 23!”

MissyQuill
    Name: Sammy/MissyQuill
    House: GRYFFINDOR!!!
    Title: Leaping Memories
    Warning: N/A
    Words: 333

At first glance, the shabby-looking house at the end of Spinner's End appeared completely deserted. It most certainly had the look of a place left derelict and neglected, awaiting an owner who might never return; or even if he did, house cleaning would be the last thing on his mind .

Not that people usually pondered so many things while passing the building in question. And why would they? They only saw a dirty, dilapidated house. They did not see how it used to stand, semi-presentable, once upon a time. They did not notice the creak of the shutters a boy used to peer out through, afraid to hear, yet expecting the soft, barely audible, sounds of warmly clad feet, thumping on the snow outside, coming his way. They most certainly did not hear the two children’s laughter and conversation all those years ago.

***~~~***

“Sev, why do you suppose there is a leap year?”

“Well, the total sum of days each year amount to three hundred and sixty five and a quarter, so in four years time, naturally the quarter from each year makes an extra day.”

“I know that, Sev, I can do math too. What I want to know is - why is there a leap year? Why are we given this extra day?”

“Well, we aren’t really given the day as much as it is forced upon us. I mean, how can there not be an extra day every four years?”

“Well, I, for one, think it’s there so we can have an extra day to have a snow ball fight with our bestest friend in the whole wide world. So you'd better watch out!”

***~~~***

No, no one ever heard those voices of long ago. No one saw the ghosts of those children, rolling around in the snow. No one heard the echo of their pure, unadulterated laughter. Well, maybe one person did. But to his credit be it said, he always tried his hardest not to.
    Hey Ritta, the grammar error is intentional. It implies how young they were then.=Sammy

thegirllikeme
    Name: thegirllikeme
    House: RAVENCLAW
    Title: A Rose For Leap Year
    Warnings: DH Spoilers
    Words: 500 (yes, I did it again)

“Never again, Ronald Weasley!” Hermione screamed at the top of her lungs. “You are never allowed to touch me or kiss me ever again!”

Ron yelped in pain. For someone who never wanted to touch him, she was crushing his hand so hard. Still, his notice died quickly as Hermione cried out in pain. Her agony sent a hot stab of pain through him.

“What's wrong with her?” Ron yelled at the Healers, who only ignored him.

“You genius, Ronald,” snarled Hermione. “I'm having a baby!”

The next contraction hit, and Hermione flung herself back into the pillow with another cry of misery.

“Hermione,” Ron gasped, feeling tears in his eyes. Hermione was definitely right. This was all his fault and he would never touch her again – except he couldn't let go of her hand.

The minutes went by, seeming much longer than they were, as the Healers instructed Hermione to push hard. Ron continued to cling to Hermione's hand, while alternating between demanding that the Healers end her pain, trying to comfort Hermione, and feeling remarkably woozy.

Then, after one last yell of anguish from Hermione, the blessed, beautiful sound of a baby's first cry filled the room.

“It's a girl!” the Healer announced.

Ron's head spun, unable to believe. He watched as the Healers cleaned the baby and then laid her upon Hermione's chest. Hermione promptly burst into joyful tears as Ron stared down at the girl. He was a father.

“Oh, Ron, she's so beautiful.”

Their daughter was. She looked just like her mother.

Hermione gasped suddenly, and Ron looked up, terrified.

“What time is it?” she asked quickly.

Ron apprehensively glanced at the clock, wondering what this had to do with anything. “Twelve-forty five PM.”

“The 29th.” Hermione smiled. “She was born on Leap Year.”

“So?”

Hermione giggled. “It'll certainly make her birthdays more complicated.”

Ron blinked at her. Only Hermione would think of something like that in such a time like this.

“Do you want to hold her?”

Hesitantly, Ron brought his hands forward and Hermione lowered him in her arms. He was terrified to death that he would drop her, but when Hermione warned him to be careful, he only snapped, “I think I know how to hold a baby.”

Hermione ignored him.

Ron cradled the baby close. “Hello there, Rose.” He tried out the name they'd already decided on. “I'm your daddy.” Rose blinked up at him, and he felt himself fall madly in love with this tiny angel.

For the first time, he loved the fact that his daughter had been born on the day that only came every four years. Maybe that meant she would age more slowly, that he would have her four times as long. He hoped so, because he wanted to hang on to her, forever.

“Ron?”

He looked into the eyes of his wife, his heart overflowing, his cheeks wet with streams of happiness. “Yes?”

“You can kiss me now.”

HARRYHARRYHARRYs_twin
    Name: Selina
    House: Slytherin
    Title: Go Fish
    Warnings: Character Death
    Words: 182
    I stared at my wall, lost in thought. He had died exactly four years ago. Exactly.

I could remember it. It was so confusing, the way they came into the house. Mum and Timmy were sleeping. Daddy and I were playing cards.

Then they burst in. The Death Eaters. They wasted no time. No time at all. One stepped forward, in that long black robe, and that mask. I was scared. I was only seven, or so. I didn’t say anything. I simply sunk to the floor, hid under the table. But the tablecloth wasn’t long. I still saw.

The one who stepped forward raised his arm. It seemed as if he were going in slow motion.

Daddy didn’t even have a chance to take out his wand. I can still see the green light, giving the room into a sickly green tinge. I saw him blast into the wall. Then all was still. Except for the dark shadows slipping silently out of the room.

I stand, and give the wall a good hard kick as I leave the room. Go fish.

The Marauding Cupcake
    Name: Michelle/The Marauding Cupcake
    Title: Leapin’ Wizards
    Warnings: silliness
    Words: 386

“Here you go, young man. My pleasure!” George waved after the little boy and turned to get another bottled beverage for the next in line.

“George Weasley! What are you passing out to these first years? If that’s some sort of potion to make you pass out or vomit –“ Hermione had burst to the front of the line, feathers ruffled.

“Please!” Fred piped up. “We’ve patented that already in the Skiving Snack Boxes. This is in honour of Leap Year.”

“Too right! Don’t tell us there’s a wizarding custom Hermione Granger hasn’t heard of!” George mocked.

Hermione crossed her arms in front of her waiting for the answer. She’d known the twins long enough that she was fairly confident she could pick out a lie.

“In the wizarding world, there’s a custom to treat Leap Year Day as backwards day; it only comes every four years.” Fred explained. Hermione’s brow hitched, signalling that they had better come up with something a bit better that that.

“It’s true!” George nodded his head solemnly. “So, instead of having the little ankle biters do our bidding – “

“As usual – “

“We’re waiting on them,” George finished.

“Only for today!” Fred added quickly, giving the firsties the evil eye.

Hermione turned to Ron, who should have known better than to agree with anything his brothers were saying, but also that it’d be worth the entertainment. He gave her a reassuring smile and that clenched it for Hermione.

“Well, I’m not one to go against wizarding tradition. I actually think it’s rather progressive of you two, carry on. I just don’t want to see anyone in Gryffindor come down with so much as a sniffle!” She turned to Ron and Harry. “Let’s get to breakfast then.”

Hermione had been halfway through her eggs when the commotion began. One by one, Gryffindor first years began leaping out of their seats in complete shock. Edgar Dole had leaped halfway to the entrance before a fifth year caught hold of him. The little boy Hermione had seen earlier leaped uncontrollably across the room towards the Hufflepuff table, who were all laughing hysterically. She looked down the Gryffindor table to two guffawing redheads.

“Leap year!” Fred cried.

“Get it?” George snorted.

Hermione’s shoulders slumped in defeat. She knew she shouldn’t have trusted those two!

~Michelle (The One Who Marauds... to avoid pranks)

Third Year Gryffindor
    I'm a what?
    Name: tc015
    Title: Half Birthdays
    Warnings: DH Spoilers
    Words: 234

“Dad, can I have a half birthday party?”

Harry looked down at his six-year-old son in shock. Albus never asked for things like that; why would he suddenly want a party?

“Albus, is this an excuse to get more presents or something? Are you feeling neglected?”

“No, it’s not that,” Albus reassured him. “It’s just that I’ve never had a half birthday before.”

“What do you mean?” Harry looked even more puzzled.

“Well, my birthday is on August twenty-ninth. “So my half birthday is –” Albus whispered quietly as he counted his fingers “– February twenty-ninth.”

“And?”

“February twenty-ninth only comes once every four years; James said it was called a leap year or something. Anyway, since it only happen every four years, I think I should do something for it.”

Harry laughed to himself. His youngest son continued to surprise him. “Okay, Albus. Maybe Mum will make a special dinner and cake for desert that night.”

“Really? I can have cake and everything?” Albus looked excited.

“Of course,” Harry said, ruffling his son’s hair.

“Can we do this every four years?” Albus asked, his bright with thoughts of cake.

“Why not? As long as Mum doesn’t mind.”

Albus hugged his dad for a minute before letting go.

“Thank you,” he said softly. “Maybe we can have cake on your half-birthday too, Daddy.”

“Maybe we can, Albus,” Harry replied, his eyes full of laughter.