Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: News Corner of the RD

rita_skeeter
    Hi everyone!

I have been MIA for a fair while now, since RL things have been getting in the way time and again. However, I hope that I will be getting back on track immediately and thus sending far more modly love and attention your way.

Things that have been affected that I want to apologise for:

1) Excellent posts have not been recognised with points. I am sincerely sorry about this, but I hope you will all be content with the knowledge that you helped another user.

2) FFIF has still not been judged. Again, a failing of mine. It'll hopefully be done by Sunday and a new one will appear up then.

3) Some spammy posts have been slipping through. Rest assured that regulations will be tightening up from now.

Now, m'hearties, I'm really looking foward to a fresh, new RD. Get ready to impress me once again!

rita_skeeter

A Fresh Start

And so, here we are in the new, fresh and exciting Reference Desk! Poke around if you wish - there have been a few touch ups here and there, as well as a complete purge of The Filing Cabinet. Yes, the end of Harry Potter marks the beginning of a new era here in the RD.

With that new era comes some new/reinforced ground rules. Please take a moment to glance over these before you begin posting again. After all, it dosn't hurt to refresh your memories!

1. Do not post any spam. This includes posts which are clearly off-topic, unhelpfully short, or repetitive of previous points. Anyone replying to a spammy thread will be punished in the same way as the originator.

2. No swearing, insults or other forms of abuse in posts. These will be shot on sight and the poster severely punished. I don't take kindly to rudeness.

3. Do not use this forum for Character, Plot or Excerpt help. We clearly have other places for these! Ask for help on these, by all means, just not in the RD.

4. All point deductions are non-negotiable. No, I don't want to hear excuses, just try harder to adhere to the rules next time.

5. For the moment, NO Deathly Hallows spoilers in threads unless clearly labelled. This also harbours a severe punishment should it be broken. Spoilers just ruin the fun for those who haven't finished. Be considerate, please.

6. Contact me with any suggestions, complaints or questions. I'm really happy to hear anything you have to say to improve this place and to answer any queries. Remember: if in doubt, check it out!

Now that I have that all out of the way, please enjoy your brand spanking new Reference Desk and stay out of trouble!

P.S. I have finally judged the FFIF Drabble Challenge on Aberforth Dumbledore. The results have been posted and points awarded accordingly.

rita_skeeter
    I'm seeing a lost of poorly spelt, punctuated and capitalised posts as well as a lot of spam at the moment. Please, please, take note of the rules or you will have points deducted. The spoiler ban has now been lifted, so this is now not an issue, but please don't let other aspects of your posts degenerate.

I am now running a 'second-chance' system, whereby any users breaking rules will not have points deducted the first time they are spotted. I will note your name down and if you 're-offend' points will be taken. This does not apply for major rules - rudeness, for example, will NOT be tolerated under ANY circumstances.

Please try to be good, guys.

rita_skeeter
    I'm going to be away for the next three days, guys, so behave yourselves while I'm gone!

See you all soon.

rita_skeeter
    Merry Christmas to you all from ye Captain o' The Reference Desk!

Have a brilliant time, and put your feet up - you've been wonderful this year.

Love from Sarah xx

rita_skeeter
    Hey everyone!

Well, I'm here to tell you that I'll unfortunately be going on hiatus until early January due to mounting RL pressures. I'm very sorry to go, but I will be back with more energy and some new exciting ideas for the RD!

You'll be having a temporary mod looking in on you all while I'm gone, so be good for them!

rita_skeeter
    *sigh* I'm here - for the last time, in fact - with some news.

Unfortunately, I've decided to leave the modly ranks at MNFF. It's been a fantastic few years, but I feel like now is the time to move on. Thank you to everyone who has contributed to the forum while I've been here - I hope you continue to post helpfully at take part in competitions when I'm gone!

There will be two new mods taking over where I left off - coolh5000 and mudbloodproud. Be good for them, please! They've both got great new ideas to freshen this place up and give you all more to do.

I'll miss all of you, and being a part of everything, so much. Goodbye, and good luck.

The Canon Queen Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    Hermione Couldn’t Possibly Be In Two Places At Once
    Hello everyone,

Hannah (coolh5000) and I would like to welcome you to the Reference Desk. I hope you are prepared for a few changes. Don't worry, we are not changing any of the wonderful things about this forum.

We are planning some exciting new things for you. We are planning on restarting The Fortnightly Foray into Fandom. Keep a watch on that thread for a new topic to discuss and then write a drabble about. Over the next few days, we will be sweeping out the corners and dusting the thread out. For anyone who has posted in there in the past or has contributed a drabble, you will be able to find all the old threads in Hermione's Corner.

We will be revamping the Filing Cabinet and opening an Ask Hannah/Ask Terri question thread.

We encourage your ideas for topics for Fortnightly discussions. I will be posting a thread in that section for your suggestions for topics.

We will also be reposting the rules of this forum in this thread again just so all new members are aware of them.

Again, welcome and we hope you will enjoy your time here.
    Terri Black (as in Mrs Sirius {aka Padfoot} Black)
    Hufflepuff Head of House

Unspeakable

Rules and Guidelines

I am reposting the rules so everyone is aware of them. Please read through them. Ignorance of the rules is no excuse for breaking them. Most of these rules come from Sarah (Rita Skeeter), I am merely reposting them.

1. Do not post any spam. This includes posts which are clearly off-topic, unhelpfully short, or repetitive of previous points. Anyone replying to a spammy thread will be punished in the same way as the originator.

2. No swearing, insults or other forms of abuse in posts. These will be shot on sight and the poster severely punished. We don't take kindly to rudeness.

3. Do not use this forum for Character, Plot or Excerpt help. We clearly have other places for these! Ask for help on these, by all means, just not in the RD.

4. All point deductions are non-negotiable. No, we don't want to hear excuses, just try harder to adhere to the rules next time.

5. Contact either myself, (mudbloodproud) or Hannah (coolh5000) with any suggestions, complaints or questions. We are really happy to hear anything you have to say to improve this place and to answer any queries. Remember: if in doubt, check it out!

6. Please use proper spelling, grammar and punctuation in your posts. We will be watching closely for this. You are all inspiring writers and therefore should be writing correctly in our posts.

7. Make each post count. Replies to posts should be as helpful as possible. One or two words posts will not be looked upon favourably. Simply saying “I agree with so-in-so,” is not helpful. This would be considered spam. (see rule #1)

8. Please make sure your facts are accurate. I, personally, cringe when I read an answer to a post for canon information and it is inaccurate. Check your facts before posting. Remember, fanfiction is based on the books not the movies.

Points will be awarded for helpful posts. When we see a helpful post, we will award points. Going above and beyond to help a fellow writer is encouraged and will be rewarded.

Points will be taken from your house for breaking the rules. We will not deduct points for the first time, however, we will be keeping track and a second offense will result in lost points for your house.

Hannah and I are looking forward to continuing the wonderful job Sarah has done in here. We are striving to keep the excellent reputation MNFF has as being the top site for fanfiction. With everyone’s help, this will continue to be the best of the best for fanfiction writers.
    Hufflepuff Head of House

Unspeakable
    I just wanted to let everyone know, you will shortly be seeing a new easier to use Filing Cabinet. Over the next couple weeks, I will be organising all posts in there into separate subforums for easy reference.

I will post again when the organisation is complete. Once that is done, I am going to ask you to please check the Filing Cabinet to see if your question has been asked and answered previously.

I will list the titles of the subforums and what they each cover once I am done sorting through all the posts in the Filing Cabinet.
    Hufflepuff Head of House