Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Possible Additional Classes

Ghoul in Pajamas
    Cool Discussion!

Literature- C'mon now! Who doesn't want to hear all the classics ((Just make sure not to get Hagrid and Slughorn started on 'Odo the Hero')) ? I can't imagine that all the books in Hogwart's great library are non-fiction.
    This has actually always been something that bothered me about Hogwarts. (I'm glad someone brought it up!) It doesn't make sense not to have some sort of English class. They write so many essays for their classes, but they haven't had an English class since they were ten? I agree that a Literature class would be interesting, possibly a combined Literature/Language class.

Foreign and Ancient Languages- Well if Barty Crouch could do it, why not students? French ((mightve come in handy during GoF)), Bulgarian, Gaelic, Latin, Greek, ect...
    I like this idea! The wizarding community is a lot smaller than the Muggle one, so it seems realistic that they would come in contact a lot more often. (Bill and Fleur?) Plus, just the fact that they can travel a whole lot easier. I also like bertiebott's Troll/Giant idea. Edit: I just realized it looks like I'm shipping the troll and the giant. >.< /edit

I agree with bertiebott that you might need an AU warning to explain why we never saw this other teacher in the books. Unless you explain that the Ancient Runes teacher is teaching two electives (because, honestly, how many people take Ancient Runes?). Or if it is a next generation fic, it could be a new subject.

--Kristen

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    There is one class that no one has mentioned yet, but people had to learn how to do it somewhere.

ART!

Throughout the entire series, we see talking paintings and moving statues, but they didn't just appear out of no where. Someone had to create them. And I don't imagine creating a portrait of the dead, capible of communication with living, is a skill could simpley pick up on a rainy day.

I can easily imgine this as being one of the wilder classes tough at Hogwarts, with the strange students who would take it, the even stranger professor who would teach it, and the creations that would run wild when no one was keeping an eye on things.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

AthenaRowena
    I like the art idea...

Mabey as a sort of temporary class ( like one that went for a month or so) coul dbe magical math. The professor would teach all sorts of spells that would do the Pre-Algebra, Algebra, Geometry, Calculus, etc. that they missed.

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    A magical math class? I thought that's what Arithmacy was. I mean, the students certainly seem to hate it enough...

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

JOHN91043353
    A magical math class? I thought that's what Arithmacy was. I mean, the students certainly seem to hate it enough...
    What do you do in Arithmacy, really? Any ideas? It's probably the class we know least about.

Foreign and Ancient Languages- Well if Barty Crouch could do it, why not students? French ((mightve come in handy during GoF)), Bulgarian, Gaelic, Latin, Greek, ect..
    Well wizards have to have some way to learn foregin language, otherwise Fleur and Krum wouldn't have been able to speak English. Also, the students at Durmstrang come from many diffrent countries and they have to know many languages to be able to speak with each other.
    Speaking of Durmstrang, this might not be the thread to discuss it, what language are used by the teachers? Russian, German or English seem to be the most likly opptions.
    Latin would also be a language wizards study since they use it for their spells.

I like the idea of the baby class, haha. It would be quite embarrasing for the person who was turned into a baby though, if the friends had to change dipears.

hpheart
    The idea of the art class is interesting, and I believe I have read a fic involving the Marauders, and a class which would be the arts, but a different one each week, like the first one was Art, the next one was Drama and so on.

Baby/parenting class: I personally don't see this happening in a proper organised class, maybe as a couple of lessons one weekend near the end of Year 7, just to show people what to do.

Maths: Isn't Arithmency basically Maths? But then, If they don't have any maths classes from the age of 10/11 if they don't take Arithmency, how will they learn to do the bills and such?

English/Litrature: Again, I think this could be done like once a week, in a spare evening for seperate years and houses, as there must be loads of evenings where students are sat around doing nothing.

There, thats my 2 knuts, hope you found it helpful

Second Year Ravenclaw
    Setting Snakes on Hapless Relatives

Just wanted to put this out there--arithmancy is basically divination by numbers. Like has anyone ever seen those little activities in magazines or whatever where each letter of the alphabet has a number, and you keep adding up the values of the letters in your name until you get a single digit, and that's your "life number"? That's a type of arithmancy.

So yeah, where are the core classes? Or do wizards and witches (on average) only have a primary-school education? xD

~t.d.c

xcxcharlottexcx
    How about a theory of magic? Like the language which is used for spells, where did it come from? What makes it magical? etc. possibly an advanded one year course in the 7th year?