Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible Additional Classes

Unregistered_Animagi

Possible Additional Classes

We all know that the Hogwarts curriculum ((and thus most likely the average curriculum at most wizarding schools)) consists of 12 classes. Astronomy, Arithmancy, Ancient Runes, Charms, Potions, Herbology, Transfiguration, Defense Against the Dark Arts, Divination, History of Magic, Care of Magical Creatures, and Muggle Studies.

But whose to say those are the only classes ever taught? Any other ideas for classes? These are a few I've come up with:

Literature- C'mon now! Who doesn't want to hear all the classics ((Just make sure not to get Hagrid and Slughorn started on 'Odo the Hero')) ? I can't imagine that all the books in Hogwart's great library are non-fiction.

Musical Arts- In the movies we see a school choir ((toads and all)), and in the the books we are introduced to a school song ((strike up your favorite tune!)). So why not a 'musical arts' class? Similar to 'band' classes in the states. Covering note reading, tuning, a bit of musical history, your instrument of choice ect...

Foreign and Ancient Languages- Well if Barty Crouch could do it, why not students? French ((mightve come in handy during GoF)), Bulgarian, Gaelic, Latin, Greek, ect...

Opinions?

~Ash

Horsesbella219
    These sound really good! I always though hogwarts should have more classes....Perhaps they could also have like a learning development programme? in my schol, people who cant read or write or whatever very well, get additional support, and take Literacy (Basic english) instead of a lesson. So maybe instead of say Care of Magical creatures, there could be the oppurtunity to do something like that?

Maybe Wandless Magic? Or career skills? We do a lot of that, but at Hogwarts they never seem to go on about confidence or whatever....

Your ideas are really good!

PadfootnPeeves
    Wow, good ideas! You'd think they'd have some kind of athletics class (wouldn't want the wizards gettin' fat!), but I think it'd be mentioned in canon if it was there.

Or, perhaps, a home-economics class? Like, to teach them to care for themselves and basic things like that. Not everyone has a Mrs. Weasley-mother to teach them everything!

~my two knuts

BertieBotsBeans741
    Perhaps they're like electives but it's more of a select thing. It was definitley never mentioned in the books but perhaps they were small classes of ten or fifteen and there was an "application pool."

I'm sure there were or could be advanced classes for students who are more advanced. Hopefully you understand what I mean.

There would probably be occupational jobs. Like for Healers or something like that. It could be a basic foundation to start on what they plan on doing for the rest of their life.

Brittany

xpadfootsangelx

hm

Well, I'm pretty sure the music class exists. I've seen in some of the earlier video games (or at least Chamber of Secrets) there was a music room. Besides, there's that choir in the PoA movie....I know that's not totally canon, but it's something to fall back on.

Athletics would be pretty cool. I think, though, Quidditch might take up for that, and if you didn't sign up for Quidditch, you might not sign up for that either, so it might not be a total hit.

Lastly, my favorite idea-Parenting class/Home Ec.

In some o the roleplays I've been in/fanfics I've written, this class idea has been experimented with. You could be taught spiffy Mrs. Weasley worthy household spells, and how to take care of young wizards/witches.
    Of of my favorite ideas was this-
    The students split into groups of three. Two act as the parents (male/female obviously) and the third takes a potion to turn them into a baby.
    This tests parenting skills, but of course, whoever is the baby won't get much out of it. Perhaps you could use some students who aren't actually in the class for this. Also, this idea is good for getting people together.

Just my input.

SnailsRule

More Classes

I have thought about other classes for witches and wizzards before too, lol. I came up with: Magical Law, English, Muggle History, Geography, Wand Lore, and Magical Transportation (includes flying, apparation, etc). Lot of them are just obvious Muggle classes though. I also thought about Occumency and/or Leglimency, but the first probably wouldn't be a good idea, and the second unnecessary....

Please use correct spelling and do not use netspeak on the boards.

Unregistered_Animagi
    I thinks SnailsRule had something there with geography. Thats a possibility. Muggle history would already be taught in Muggle Studies. From what we know in the books wandlore isnt very commonlly taught and only ever used by wandmakers. I would imagin if you needed to know something about wands you could simply ask the charms professor...

Many poeple have mentioned a parenting/home ec type thing. I know in muggle schools we have the parenting/sex ed class. I think this would most likely be run something like the way apparition courses were. Not an actuall class, but something run for about 4 weeks or something like that.

Third Year Slytherin
    Bumper Cars in Gringotts
    There are two 'temporary' classes that we know of. One is the flying lessons in first year which you might be able to extend as an elective. The other is Apparition which I think wouldn't be a very useful elective seeing as they already know the skill and the only way to get better at it would be to simply practise.

I personally like the idea of a career sampler, which would give the students a taste of what it's like to be a Healer or an Auror or a wandmaker, et cetera.

Fourth Year Ravenclaw
    McGonagall Likes My Quidditch Skills

Any of those Career/ home ec type of things would probably have been taken in 7th year, preparing the students for life after school. Since Harry left in his 7th year, we don't know.

Also, for the athletics, don't you think they get enough exercise walking to all of their classes?

Kate
    IB + Senior Year = Hiatus...again
    Kate...iPoem!...iWrite!...iBanner!...Dumbledore's Navy!
    Avvie and banner by me! Please request!

bertiebott12
    Okay, I actually have quite a bit to say about this.

Remember, there may be more classes, but there couldn't be more than 4. Staffing, even in our modern day times, is a problem. There would have to be teachers available to actually teach the subjects we are talking about. If you added any classes, then I would add an AU warning just to be safe. We haven't seen any teachers in the Harry Potterverse that have taught more than one class. As for the classes that have been suggested, here are my thoughts.

Literature- C'mon now! Who doesn't want to hear all the classics ((Just make sure not to get Hagrid and Slughorn started on 'Odo the Hero')) ? I can't imagine that all the books in Hogwart's great library are non-fiction.
    Yes, but Hogwarts seems to be more focused on magical classes. Even history of magic somehow pertains to the wizarding world. I would only add this class if it has a significant part of the story. My reasoning is that not very many professions deal around this, unless you would like to be a storyteller of some sort. Remember, Hogwarts very much would like to prepare their students for careers. If you can't think of any careers that it would center around, then I wouldn't use it.

Musical Arts- In the movies we see a school choir ((toads and all)), and in the the books we are introduced to a school song ((strike up your favorite tune!)). So why not a 'musical arts' class? Similar to 'band' classes in the states. Covering note reading, tuning, a bit of musical history, your instrument of choice ect...
    Yes, but the movies aren't canon. JKR never mentions any kind of choral class. And, the only profession that it would center around would be wizarding rock bands.

Foreign and Ancient Languages- Well if Barty Crouch could do it, why not students? French ((mightve come in handy during GoF)), Bulgarian, Gaelic, Latin, Greek, ect...
    This one would actually work. The only flaw that I see is your list of languages. I would throw in somemore wizarding languages, such as Giant or maybe even Troll. Bulgarian is a yes, as is French. I would put in Latin also, because JKR based so many of her spells and potions off of this.

Good discussion!