Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tom Riddle

memish
    Do you think it's possible Tom was in school with Abraxas Malfoy (Lucius' dad)?

Black_Dust
    Hmmmm.....well let's see...

-Tom went to Hogwarts from 1938-1945
    -Lucius was born 1954

That's a period of nine years...which is an believable amount of time for Abraxas to get out of school, marry and have a child...so ya it's possible Abraxas and Tom went to school together.

However, it should also be considered that Draco said in 1996 that his grandfather died of Dragonpox when he was elderly.According to HP wikia wizards on average live to be around 90 or so unless they are exeptionally powerful such as Dumbledore who lived to be 116. If Abraxas was born the same year as Tom (in 1926) that would make him, at the oldest, 70/71 at the time of his death (which really isn't all that elderly for a wizard....) If you made him a seventh year when Tom was a first that would still only make him 77/78 depending on his exact birth year.

It's not in canon either way so technically you can decide whatever you want. Personally, I probably wouldn't argue with you if I read in your fic that they were in school together. However these are just the facts I was able to dig up...hope it helped

pieshnizzlerpeep
    Lots of questions, sorry. xD I've been out of the HP fandom for a while, but I've finally decided to write my epic AU I've been planning for years. Unfortunately, my characterization is pretty much dead at the moment.
    • In terms of Tom’s internal voice, are there any specific things I should keep in mind? We hardly ever see the teenage Tom Riddle in canon, and when we do see him he’s not being ‘himself’. (For those of you who watch Doctor Who, my Tom is sounding sort of like the Master without all of the cheese and fail. Should I embrace this, or try and change it? I haven't been able to decide.)
    • Ignoring the idea that Tom was born evil, what age do you think he was ‘past the point of no return’ morality wise? (I'm not planning on making him good, just not completely evil.)
    • How do you think he would react to being placed in a completely new environment out of the blue?
    • Tom, as all evil villains, hates Christmas. What’s his reaction upon receiving a present?
    • Everyone knows something that Tom doesn’t, but he can't actively seek out information. What’s his reaction? What does he do?
    • At the beginning of his fifth year, can Tom see thestrals?
    • What’s his reaction to finding another person who can speak parstletounge?

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    You Need Some Driving Lessons, Ron
    I'm no Riddle expert, but I will try a couple of these.

Quote Originally Posted by pieshnizzlerpeep
    [*]Ignoring the idea that Tom was born evil, what age do you think he was ‘past the point of no return’ morality wise? (I'm not planning on making him good, just not completely evil.)
    He may not have been born evil, but he was pretty far gone before Dumbledore collected him from that orphanage. He had tortured other children. Not sure when in his life your story begins, but he's pretty bad off by the time he comes to Hogwarts, don't you think?

[*]Tom, as all evil villains, hates Christmas. What’s his reaction upon receiving a present?
    My first reaction is mistrust. I think he would assume he was being used, or that there were strings attached. He does not believe in love, and so would likely not believe he could really be given a gift without the giver having some kind of agenda.
    Lovely banner by Minna

Fourth Year Gryffindor
    Swallowing the Golden Snitch
    Hi there! I'm intrigued by Tom's youthful days, too, so I'm going to answer your questions now (:

In terms of Tom’s internal voice, are there any specific things I should keep in mind? We hardly ever see the teenage Tom Riddle in canon, and when we do see him he’s not being ‘himself’. (For those of you who watch Doctor Who, my Tom is sounding sort of like the Master without all of the cheese and fail. Should I embrace this, or try and change it? I haven't been able to decide.)
    Yes, there are some specific things you should keep in mind. One is that he has always wanted to be the best of the best. I would say, he has high standards in almost every aspect. In my mind, he would be belittling others. Whether he'll look down on others and say it aloud or not, I'm not too sure. But the books have mentioned that everyone thought he was the perfect kid, so I guess he wouldn't bully others... aloud. He would bully them in his mind. To sneer at them at their magical incompetence.

Ignoring the idea that Tom was born evil, what age do you think he was ‘past the point of no return’ morality wise? (I'm not planning on making him good, just not completely evil.)
    I do agree that he wasn't completely evil during his younger years, but the thing is, I think only an eventful occasion (to himself only, or to others, too) would really make the final decision of Tom. Make sure that as you write him in the beginning, his person changes. Something like, evolving into a different Tom that Dumbledore knew. He's very ambitious, and ambition could make anyone blind. It would be up to you to determine what kind of event would finally change Tom's view on life to the fullest. To 'the point of no return'.

How do you think he would react to being placed in a completely new environment out of the blue?
    I think he would absolutely loathe it... at first. He thinks highly of himself, so he would probably be angry, but as he's boastful (in a quiet style), he would be determined, I think, to stay above his mental game. He won't ever be satisfied without fully knowing that he was the strongest, and the most powerful out there. If there was one word Tom could be described, it would be power-hungry.

Tom, as all evil villains, hates Christmas. What’s his reaction upon receiving a present?
    Tom's famous at school, and he was gorgeous. I would think he receives many presents, but he would act indifferently. Just nod, and a faint, polite smile. That would be it. Maybe a soft "thank you". Maybe..

Everyone knows something that Tom doesn’t, but he can't actively seek out information. What’s his reaction? What does he do?
    He uses his charm and wit. He knows his weapons well, and how to use it, in perfect sequence. In HBP, he learns of the badger without even trying to impress the lady (I forgot her name). If he uses his skills, then it's a definite answer that he'll get the information that he wanted. His first reaction of being out of the common knowledge would be outraged, and dissatisfied, or regretful of his decisions, or whatever the effects of what is in that environment.

At the beginning of his fifth year, can Tom see thestrals?
    I'm sorry, but I don't have my books with me right now. The only thing in present canon is that he murders his grandparents. He couldn't have killed Myrtle because the basilisk did that, and I'd think he'd be careful not to murder during his years in Hogwarts because he was afraid Dumbledore would discover it, and it'll ruin his plans. He could have watched someone die, yes, during his Hogwarts years, and that's up to you. He would have known what a thestral is considering his intelligence, and to see them would appear most likely, a kind of strength to him.

What’s his reaction to finding another person who can speak parstletounge?
    Of course, he'd feel special. It would just boost his assurance that he was a descendant of some almost-royal blood line. It's like a slum boy speaking french in a country where that language seems to be born in the royal tongue. Do you get the idea?

Er, well, that seems to be everything. I hope that helps! (:

zazzy7

Tom

Tom wasn't born bad, nobody is. But what do you think made him so evil and eventually turn him into Voldemort? It's really sad when a good person turns into a bad one.

Thanks!

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors

I was trying to write a drabble the other day, and though I've got halfway through it, I had to stop and consider... if Tom Riddle would have played Quidditch when he was at Hogwarts.

My initial concern was that Quidditch is a team game and Tom Riddle works alone, like all bad men And it also didn't seem likely that he'd care about the sport, no matter how popular. On the other hand, it also makes sense to me that since we know that he aspired to excel at everything to demonstrate his superiority and did just that, maybe he wouldn't set Quidditch aside. He would be team captain and have no problem whatsoever with it, since he has that cunning ability to make people follow him. The team would be wrapped around his finger.

I'd really appreciate ideas on this: Can you see Tom Riddle as a Quidditch player while at school?
    The Run of the Mill

The phenomenal banner is by MissBean

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Being Chased by Singing Dwarves with Valentines
    Quote Originally Posted by kehribar
    Can you see Tom Riddle as a Quidditch player while at school?
    Not at all. I think it would have been mentioned as the book consistantly compares Harry to Tom Riddle...it would have been a super similar thing if they were both Quidditch geniouses. I think Riddle was too busy trying to figure everything out about the castle and being a huge suck up and gaining connections with the right people in order to gain power to play Quidditch.
    GRYFFINDOR PRIDE!
    Avvie by me, banner by TM_Wandstick.
    It matters not what one is born, but what they become.Don't let your praying knees get lazy, and love like crazy!

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    I don't see Riddle as a Quidditch player, either. I wouldn't class it as OOC for him to try out - especially in his second year, but I cant see him thinking that it's a worthwhile thing to do as he got older. He'd have to go to practise sessions etc, which would be distracting.
    He would probably consider supporting the team as necessary. He doesn't really have friends, but would need allies. Quidditch is as good a way as any to meet people and discuss things over a Butterbeer or two.

I'm also not sure he had to excel at everything - merely the things he thought would be necessary and useful. He joins Bourgin and Burkes when he could have become a hotshot at the Ministry and he skedaddles abroad for several years to slowly build up his cult.

~Carole~
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

BeautifulDisasterX

Boggart and Patronus

By much research I have discovered that Tom Riddles boggart would be his own corpse, or in other words, himself dead.

But one thing that I can't find out is what Tom Riddles patronus is.

Tom Riddle/Voldemort was obviously a very powerful wizard and the patronus is something that "only a powerful wizard could conjure" - quote Hermione in Prisoner Of Askaban.

Does anyone know what Tom Riddles patronus is? Or if he ever even tried to conjure one?

Stacey.

-- BeautifulDisasterX