Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tom Riddle

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Am I in the Right House?
    JK has said that the only Death Eater able to cast a Patronus was Snape. So I don't think Voldemort had one.
    Stories Duels Poems Drabbles
    Proud Puff on MNFF and Slyth on Pottermore

Banner by the awesome Minnabird Icon by wicked visions on LJ

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Being Chased by Singing Dwarves with Valentines
    The impression that I got is that Tom Riddle had already made a Horcrux while he was at school, and we know that the Patronus Charm is way beyond OWL level, so I really don't think that he would ever be capable of creating a Patronus.
    GRYFFINDOR PRIDE!
    Avvie by me, banner by TM_Wandstick.
    It matters not what one is born, but what they become.Don't let your praying knees get lazy, and love like crazy!

Third Year Hufflepuff
    Hut-on-the-Rock, The Sea
    Quote Originally Posted by BeautifulDisasterX
    By much research I have discovered that Tom Riddles boggart would be his own corpse, or in other words, himself dead.

But one thing that I can't find out is what Tom Riddles patronus is.

Tom Riddle/Voldemort was obviously a very powerful wizard and the patronus is something that "only a powerful wizard could conjure" - quote Hermione in Prisoner Of Askaban.

Does anyone know what Tom Riddles patronus is? Or if he ever even tried to conjure one?

Stacey.

-- BeautifulDisasterX
    Quote Originally Posted by BeautifulDisasterX
    By much research I have discovered that Tom Riddles boggart would be his own corpse, or in other words, himself dead.

But one thing that I can't find out is what Tom Riddles patronus is.

Tom Riddle/Voldemort was obviously a very powerful wizard and the patronus is something that "only a powerful wizard could conjure" - quote Hermione in Prisoner Of Askaban.

Does anyone know what Tom Riddles patronus is? Or if he ever even tried to conjure one?

Stacey.

-- BeautifulDisasterX
    I don't see him as able to cast a Patronus unless it was required for school he wouldn't bother. If he could ally with the Dementors (which he did) or deal with them some other way (as implied in Half Blood Price there are alternatives) what would be the use. I'm also not sure that he would have the type of happy memories that would help him to conjure a Patronus. Finding out that he was a Wizard didn't work for Harry and Dumbledore scared Tom by finding the items that he had stolen. While Tom was happy to discover that he was a Wizard the memory would also scare him. I'm sure that memories like making his first Horcrux and killing the Riddles would have been happy for him but I don't know if they are the type of memories that would be able to create a Patronus.

If he could cast a Patronus I could see it as being a snake, but maybe that is cliche. A snake represents Slytherin and is associated with Voldemort. If you go with the Patronus represents what makes you happy I see finding out that he was the heir of Slytherin as something that would have made Tom happy. If the Patronus represents a protector, he would not have trusted anyone to protect him other than himself. If not a snake I believe that it would be something associated with Hogwarts but I can't come up with anything right now.

chaiteelatte
    I've looked into this pretty extensively for a story, and I'm pretty sure I never read anything about Tom's ability to cast a Patronus, but that the Death Eaters never use them. We have already seen a pretty evil character (Dolores) using a Patronus and Rowling mentioned that the happy memory used doesn't necessarily have to be a morally "good" memory. That would lead me to believe that Riddle is capable of casting it but chooses not to because 1) it reveals a pretty personal part of yourself 2) they already have the Dark Marks to communicate and Dumbledore developed that method of communication anyways so I think Riddle would be adverse to using it even if he figured it out and 3) the dementors are on their side already so there's no reason for him to learn or use the Patronus Charm to control them. In the end I think it comes down to him thinking it is weak magic because it's primary use is to repel dementors and he has other means of dealing with them (namely, promising them unlimited people to feed on!). However, I don't think Tom would consider the Patronus Charm trusting in something else because it is magic that he cast himself. I would say that magic is the only thing Tom puts trust in because he puts his implicit trust in magic when he makes the Horcruxes to make him immortal. I think the Patronus Charm would be the same if he had any reason to use it.

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Hmm, JKR said that DE's didn't cast a Patronus because they allied themselves to the evil things that the Patronus protects against. I'm also not sure if Tom Riddle/Voldemort could have thought of something 'good' in order to cast a Patronus.

If he could conjure one, then I guess the only thing that would keep himself safe is ... himself.
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Lockhart Removed My Bones!
    I was wondering- what date do you think Tom Riddle made the conscious decision to only be known by Lord Voldemort? Also (I'm not sure whether this should be in the Tom Riddle/ Voldemort thread but here it is) at what date do you think Tom Riddle became 'known' as the person behind the Death Eaters/ increased attacks and disappearances and therefore had to go into hiding?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Banner by Minna.