Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Lucius Malfoy

Inverarity
    Since we really don't know much about what Lucius is like as a father in canon, it's even more speculative what he's like as a grandfather.

Personally, I think Lucius will have changed even less than his son after the war. Having narrowly escaped going to Azkaban with the other Death Eaters (according to Jo), he probably no longer says things like "Mudblood" out loud, and he and his wife have learned their lesson about putting all their fortunes behind a megalomaniacal psychopath, but I doubt he's truly repented and seen the error of his ways. So the big question is, how much has Draco reformed, and how hard does he try to keep Scorpius from being influenced by Lucius?

Since family is so important to the Malfoys, I suspect Draco would not try to keep his father away from his son. At the same time, he'd probably make it clear that he doesn't want Scorpius going off to school and spending all his years at Hogwarts in blood-feuds with Gryffindors. So I see Lucius as being quiet and restrained around his grandson, showing affection only in brief flashes, and mostly trying to earn his grandson's respect by buying him expensive gifts and showing off his magic. (And maybe slipping in a pointed comment here and there about house-elves or Muggles, just to work on Scorpius a little bit without directly challenging Draco.)

ThessalyRose
    In my fiction I'm going to have to explore the relationship between Lucius and Snape. I know Sirius calls Snape "Lucius Malfoy's lapdog," but what other evidence is there that they were friends?

In Goblet of Fire, (Chapter 26, p.706, Scholastic Hardback) it says this:

"Look, I saw Voldemort come back!" Harry shouted. He tried to get out of bed again, but Mrs. Weasley forced him back. "I saw the Death Eaters! I can give you their names! Lucius Malfoy--"

Snape made a sudden movement, but as Harry looked at him, Snape's eyes flew back to Fudge.
    I have never figured out why Snape would react to this statement, unless it was because he believed, until that moment, that Malfoy was telling the truth about being Imperiused during the first war, and that Malfoy wasn't part of the inner circle. Does this make sense? Is there another explanation?

This happens to work out well for my fiction, but it leaves me with some other questions. What would be the basis of a legitimate friendship between Lucius and Snape? I think Snape would be attracted to Lucius' aristocratic air, and being friends with Lucius would make him feel like he was part of that upper class.

But what about Lucius? What would he get out of a friendship with Snape? Severus is no Crabbe or Goyle. He's nothing if not independent, and probably much smarter than Lucius. The Severus of my fan fiction --whether you believe this about Canon!Snape or not -- wouldn't trade his dignity for the luxuries Malfoy's friendship could provide. So he's no yes-man, and he doesn't make Malfoy feel better about himself through contrast. But what role does he play in Lucius' life? And where would be the limits of the friendship?

Ugh.. I'm having this terrible image of them meeting in the basement at Malfoy Manor on Friday nights to play with their Dark Arts -- which just happens to involve a lot of dice and little lead miniatures.... help me dispel this image! Please!

Thess

Inverarity
    Quote Originally Posted by ThessalyRose
    I have never figured out why Snape would react to this statement, unless it was because he believed, until that moment, that Malfoy was telling the truth about being Imperiused during the first war, and that Malfoy wasn't part of the inner circle. Does this make sense? Is there another explanation?
    I always read it as Snape thinking, "Oh crap, the Dark Lord really is back, and Lucius and the other Death Eaters have reassembled, which means I'm going to be summoned soon, and this idiot Potter is spouting everything in front of the Minister before I've had a chance to prepare and get my story straight, or talk to Dumbledore."

I've never seen Lucius and Snape as friends. Lucius is older than Snape, and would probably look down on him for being a half-blood. But Snape is undeniably formidable, and one of Voldemort's favorites. So it would be dangerous for Lucius to make an enemy out of him (especially while his son is going to Hogwarts). Therefore, he has to be civil to Snape. I imagine he treats Snape as a peer, while subtly trying to reinforce the fact that he doesn't really think of him as an equal.

We see that up until book six or seven, at least, Draco is respectful towards Snape, so Lucius and Narcissa don't badmouth Snape at home.

Snape probably knows full well what Lucius thinks of him, and doesn't care. The only one whose opinion matters is Voldemort's.

Fifth Year Hufflepuff
    People Hate Me for Losing Points
    Quote Originally Posted by Inverarity
    Since we really don't know much about what Lucius is like as a father in canon, it's even more speculative what he's like as a grandfather.
    In one of my fics, I imagine that Lucius still has lots of house prejudices in him. Scorpius was made a Gryffindor, and Lucius had sent a Howler to his Grandson for not being in Slytherin. Whereas Draco actually changed, and even though he was shocked, he still accepted the fact and said that if that was what Scorpius had wanted, then he had no problem. Lucius had even sent a Howler to Draco for not raising Scorpius properly, and that he was a bad father and so on.

---Nadia

{iBAbanner!} ~♥~ {iDrabble!} ~♥~ {iExcerpt!} ~♥~ {iPuff!}

Awesomical banner by TM_WandStick/Toni!
    Chapter 12 up!

leahsm2
    Do you think Lucius would have played Quidditch at Hogwarts? I know he was obviously keen for Draco to play, but do you think he himself would want to, because I think it could go either way, myself.

Azhure
    Personally, I don't see him playing it. I think that he would believe himself to be 'above' the sport. But I don't know where that is coming from... To me, he seems like one to lord over the other Slytherins, and let the others do all the dirty work, etc. (yes, I count Quidditch as 'dirty work' >.> <.<).

At least, I've always liked to have a contrast between young and old Lucius. In his youth he was the 'leader', and in his adulthood he was the 'follower'.

So, basically, from me that's a no for Quidditch.

/ insane ramblings.

Inverarity
    If he did play Quidditch, it would only be for the purpose of improving his social standing. Since Quidditch players are admired and considered elite, even within their Houses, Lucius might have seen Quidditch as something that would bolster his status. (Plus, he'd want to do his part to demonstrate the superiority of pure-bloods.) If he had the athletic ability, then he probably played. But since I don't see him really being an ardent devotee of the game, he probably only practiced as much as he had to, so it's unlikely he was a great player.

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    I can see him playing Quidditch.

If Lucius despised the sport then he wouldn't have promised to buy Draco a racing broom; he wouldn't have bought the Slytherin team Nimbus 2001 brooms and Draco would not have been flying before he went to Hogwarts. Draco, in PS, tells Harry he already has a broom and is annoyed that first years can't play Quidditch.

Quidditch is actually a democratic sport. There are mixed teams (male/female) so Lucius playing Quidditch and encouraging Draco has nothing to do with social standing. I might even pose the notion that this is the only thing in the Malfoys' life that isn't about social standing. Obviously at the QWC, the Malfoys had the best seats but the fact that Narcissa was there, too, suggests to me that she was interested in Quidditch too. That is pure supposition though.

Carole
    xxx
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Inverarity
    Quote Originally Posted by Equinox Chick
    Quidditch is actually a democratic sport. There are mixed teams (male/female) so Lucius playing Quidditch and encouraging Draco has nothing to do with social standing. I might even pose the notion that this is the only thing in the Malfoys' life that isn't about social standing. Obviously at the QWC, the Malfoys had the best seats but the fact that Narcissa was there, too, suggests to me that she was interested in Quidditch too. That is pure supposition though.
    I think you could write a plausible story about Lucius actually being a devoted Quidditch fan. Even a Death Eater has hobbies.

I don't see how coed teams would be relevant to him, though -- for all his sins, we've never seen evidence that Lucius is particularly sexist.

OTOH, Narcissa might not care a whit about Quidditch, and might only have been attending the World Cup because that was her role as a society wife.

leahsm2
    Quote Originally Posted by Equinox Chick
    Draco, in PS, tells Harry he already has a broom and is annoyed that first years can't play Quidditch.xxx
    I still feel sort of like he might/might not have, but this was pretty compelling. The argument could be made, I guess, that not all fathers who play catch with theirs sons played baseball themselves, but I think I'll make Lucius play Quidditch. Thanks everyone!