Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 64

Thread: Lucius Malfoy

  1. #31
    XhayleeXblackX
    Guest
    I'm currently writing a Dramione fic in which Draco has turned to Harry, Ron, and Hermione in order to protect his (and his family's) future and well-being, and ultimately, help the "trio" destory Lord Voldemort. In the fic, Draco has basically turned/betrayed his family, at least in his mind.

    While dueling his Aunt Bellatrix, Draco is badly injured and getting ready to face death from his Death Eater aunt. However, in the fic, I have Lucius sparing Draco's life, stopping Bella's murder attempt. I have Lucius not turn his son in to the Dark Lord, even though Draco has betrayed his master/shamed the family in Voldemort's eyes, and also letting Draco return with Harry, Ron, and Hermione. Basically, he saves Draco, but leaves him on the battlefield for whomever Draco has been helping to find.

    My concern is that this would not be in Lucius' character to do. I was hoping for some feedback, hope this is the right place.

    -Haylee

  2. #32
    leahsm2
    Guest
    I think Lucius Malfoy would be protective of his only son and go to great lengths to save him. Plus, even if DH is disregarded, Lucius has to still be disenchanted with the Dark Lord. Giving his son the task of killing Dumbledore was obviously not a good omen for their entire family.

  3. #33
    cmwinters
    Guest
    One o fthe things I mentioned in a discussion in the Restricted Section is that you have the canon depiction of the characters as the author wanted them to be understood, versus the canon perception of the characters from the readers, versus the *fanon* perception of the readers.

    A good example of this is how Jo insists that Snape is a "deeply horrible person" but some of his fans (of which I am one) have a sincere problem with this, because we do not feel that he was accurately potrayed as such by the author. Yet people who are not Snape fans are happily able to buy into "ew yuck".

    On the other hand, a lot of Snape/Harry fans write and read things that make het or gen fans highly uncomfortable.

    I think this holds very true for the portrayal and understanding of Lucius Malfoy. I myself never saw Lucius as anything but a doting but strict father. A lot of Draco fans (and Dramione fans) were of the opinion that Lucius beat his son and was abusive (not just physically but also emotionally, mentally, physiologically and sometimes sexually).

    So it may depend on who your audience is. In Deathly Hallows, Lucius proved that he was concerned for Draco and willing to abandon "the cause" for the safety of his son.

    Hardcore Dramione fans, or hardcore "Lucius abused his son" fans, may think that this portrayal of Lucius is out of how they prefer to comprehend him.

    I, personally, think that Lucius would put Draco first. Your target audience, however, may feel differently.

  4. #34
    XhayleeXblackX
    Guest
    I understand your point, CM. I always thought that Lucius was a bully, much like Draco himself, but perhaps a little more cruel than his son in that he has a far larger backbone. However, while this may have hardened Draco's skin in some ways, I don't particularly see him as being out right abusive. To an extent, maybe a little forceful and strict, but not intentionally abusive.

    If Lucius were to put Draco first, would he potentially harm Bellatrix to save him? Not kill her, but injure her? Would he knowingly allow a very severely wounded Draco to be rescued by Hermione?

    My next question, how do you suppose Lucius would react if Draco were to confront him and thank him for saving his life? I haven't written this part yet, but I would really like to.

  5. #35
    cmwinters
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by XhayleeXblackX
    I always thought that Lucius was a bully, much like Draco himself, but perhaps a little more cruel than his son in that he has a far larger backbone.
    Draco is a bully to those he considers beneath him; blood traitors and those of lesser blood status. He schmoozes Pansy because it entertains him and she puts up with it, but he's not particularly nasty to Crabbe & Goyle.

    Quote Originally Posted by XhayleeXblackX
    To an extent, maybe a little forceful and strict, but not intentionally abusive.
    As far as I can tell the sole scene that gave rise to "abusive!Lucius" was Lucius being irritated with Draco because Draco was whinging about how Hermione was the teacher's pet and how Draco "couldn't" get good grades because of it, and Lucius basically said to grow up and have some pride in himself and not let a Mudblood beat him.

    Quote Originally Posted by XhayleeXblackX
    If Lucius were to put Draco first, would he potentially harm Bellatrix to save him? Not kill her, but injure her? Would he knowingly allow a very severely wounded Draco to be rescued by Hermione?
    Well, you know, they were perfectly happy to go against *the Dark Lord* to protect Draco, and going so far as to like to the Dark Lord's face (who's been schooling Narcissa in Occlumency, hm?) about it, then yes, I think they would.

    Quote Originally Posted by XhayleeXblackX
    My next question, how do you suppose Lucius would react if Draco were to confront him and thank him for saving his life? I haven't written this part yet, but I would really like to.
    I'm not sure Draco would do so and I'm not sure Lucius would expect him to. Draco's effectively the only heir of *both* the Black and Malfoy families. And it is a parent's duty to protect their child.

  6. #36
    leahsm2
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cmwinters
    Erm. The magical world seems to be fairly Victorian. In a place where magic equals power and respect, and purity of blood even moreso, I would think that there would be spells to ensure that one's spouse is faithful to one's self.
    This question is slightly off-kilter, (oh, that'll be new ) but, if their was some sort of social imperative to the magical marriage vows there would have to also be a sort of magical connection obviously beyond the mouthing of the words. Wasn't that sort of inherent with Arthur and Molly Weasley? My point being that there is some sort of bonding made more magical. . . or am I way off canonwise?

  7. #37
    Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    Searching for Neville's Toad
    GinervaPotter213's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    with Fred :]
    Posts
    112
    I apologize if this seems like a stupid question, but how did Lucius get sent to Azkaban, how long did he serve and how did he get out? I cannot remember the finer details.

    iDrabble iWrite


    Lovely banner by Riham (padfoot_returns)
    Avvie by Samarie (Love_is_4ever)


    That which cannot break you will only make you stronger.

  8. #38
    Fourth Year Ravenclaw
    McGonagall Likes My Quidditch Skills

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Glaring at my computer
    Posts
    135
    I apologize if this seems like a stupid question, but how did Lucius get sent to Azkaban, how long did he serve and how did he get out? I cannot remember the finer details.
    No question is a stupid question. Lucius got sent to Azkaban as a result of the Ministry fiasco, and he was put in Azkaban June 24 1996, but was set free after Dumbledore's death, when the Ministry was in chaos. Dumbledore died in June of 1996, so therefore, he was in Azkaban for about a year...maybe a bit more.

    He was never sent to Azkaban after the Second War because Harry testified on their behaf.

    Kate
    IB + Senior Year = Hiatus...again
    Kate...iPoem!...iWrite!...iBanner!...Dumbledore's Navy!
    Avvie and banner by me! Please request!

  9. #39
    cmwinters
    Guest
    More specifically, Lucius was at the battle at the Department of Mysteries, and Dumbledore arrived and cast an anti-Disapparation jinx on the DoM chamber, and when Fudge arrived, Dumbledore told him about it and told him to have Aurors go arrest teh Death Eaters. Lucius was one of them, and if I recall correctly, so was Rodolphus Lestrange, but Bellatrix escaped (and of course, Snape was never there).

    I KNOW Antonin Dolohov was there, because he's the one who cast the purple spell on Hermione that had her taking ten potions to recover from. Antonin had been in Azkaban with Bella and Rodolphus (and Rodolphus' brother Rabastan, who was likely also there at the Ministry).

    This seems to have happened roughly two weeks after Draco's sixteenth birthday, for the record.

  10. #40
    Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    OliveOil_Med's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    My fanfiction notebook broke!
    Posts
    1,547
    What kind of granfather do you see Lucius as to Scorpius? He never struck me as being a warm person, but more the type who would believe all he would have to do was slip his grandson a Galleon or two every time he saw him and assume that was enough bonding between the two of them.

    Brand New Story!

    Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

    My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •