Thread: Lucius Malfoy

Hybrid View

Schmerg_The_Impaler

Lucius Malfoy

I'm writing a story right now, and Lucius has a small but important part in it. (I don't want to give away too much, but he is impersonated by someone from the light side.) In any case, I don't know how to write him as a father to Draco, or as a person in general.

I've been too influenced by Makani's artwork (she's a huge Lucius fan and converted me), where Lucius and Narcissa are depicted as being very romantic toward each other. I've also been too influenced by many fanfictions where he is depicted as a terrible father to Draco who tries to force his son to be something he's not.

Another problem with Lucius is his additude toward the dark side. Does he really believe that what he's doing is the right thing (making him a psychopath), or is he aware that what he's doing is evil and wrong, but doesn't care? (Making him a sociopath.) I think he might believe that what he's doing is the right thing, that muggles really do deserve to die, but he made such a big deal of telling Fudge and the others that he was not a 'dark wizard' that it's obvious he knows that the Death Eaters are evil.

This is weird, too, but does Lucius have short or long hair? It never mentions the length of his hair in the books, but it does say he resembles his son. His hair is long in the films, and I can't imagine it any other way, but I've seen it depicted as short in fan art.

In short, Lucius is an enigmatic character, and we don't know much about him, other than the obvious. Does anyone have any suggestions for writing Lucius?

Mistletoe
    My personal opinion on Lucius is that he doesn't put being a Death Eater first. He doesn't loudly proclaim that he is loyal to the Dark Lord (*ahem* Bellatrix), he definitely puts himself first, a true Slytherin. As for knowing or not knowing what he is doing is wrong? I think he knows it's cruel to murder Muggles, but that's how he was raised. He is a true pureblood, as well. I don't think he really cares, because for a while there, he was playing the game for the highest ranked of both sides. He knew what he was doing, until it came back and slapped him in the face.

But in some areas it appears that Lucius is unaware that what he is doing is wrong. It seems that he reacts on a whim. Doesn't think before his actions (think when he gave Ginny the diary). And when he was at the DoM. He didn't think that he would be turned over to Azkaban had he been caught, he did what he wanted. He never thought that it would reveal him as a true Death Eater.

And for how he treats Draco, I think he pushes him to be something he's not. Pushes him to be on the Dark side. It's only natural because that's how Lucius was raised. Narcissa is the woman, therefore she must keep quite to Lucius, or if she does speak up, Lucius ignores her. Lucius is very aware of how Draco treats other. Remember the Quidditch World Cup when he reprimands him for speaking down on the Weasleys? Excpet he did say that he shoudn't even be speaking to blood traitors at all, but he was very swift about what he said. His son, not so much. Lucius wants the power, and to make himself look as good as possible (not physically, of course).

I would think that they married out of obligation. There might have been the basis of lust, possibly love, but I doubt someone as cruel as Lucius could deeply love someone. HE could definitely love, but he wouldn't completely give himself to that person.

Hope I helped!

5 points to Slytherin

Starmaiden
    My idea for canon characters with small parts is that whatever you choose to do is fine as long as it fits with canon. For you, I'd suggest picking a personality that goes with your plot. It's a weird way to characterize someone, but it should work.

To actually answer your questions, or attempt to:

Lucius + Narcissa = ? I think you take a number of directions here. They could be in love; Narcissa could love him and he not return it (but not, I think, the other way around).
    I think that Narcissa feels more for Lucius than he does for her. I agree with Mistletoe about Obligation and Duty. It seems to me that that is a theme in the Pureblood world, a rather Victorian view of what "should be." I believe that Lucius married Narcissa for 1) her family name and influence; 2) her looks; 3) her capacity for being controlled. Not love. I don't know if he's capable of love; I don't think so. He has shown no sign of it. He might be fond of her in the way one is fond of a pretty songbird.

And Draco. Lucius embarrasses him in public, before Mudbloods and traitors, in Flourish and Blotts. Not the sign of a loving father, or even the sign of one whose Duty stops him from airing his dirty laundry. I suppose he thought it was a small enough comment that it would be fine; he has enough money to buy a lot of influence.

Is he forcing Draco to be something he isn't? I think he's pushing him towards it, but he's not forcing him -- only because Draco went along with it. If Draco didn't, I think Lucius might take more drastic measures. Remember that Bellatrix said that Draco seemed excited about his task (killing Dumbledore). I'd say his father encouraged him, nudged him, but didn't have to push him. The potential for Draco to become like his father is already very strong.
    I think he might believe that what he's doing is the right thing, that muggles really do deserve to die, but he made such a big deal of telling Fudge and the others that he was not a 'dark wizard' that it's obvious he knows that the Death Eaters are evil.
    Actually, I think he proclaimed himself not a Dark wizard because he knew he'd get in trouble for it. Again, I agree with Mistletoe -- he's an ambitious Slytherin, first and foremost. He goes for whoever can make him stronger, and I bet if Voldemort ever weakened, Lucius would rush into to take his place. He came back to the Light because the Dark was in disarray. He returned to the graveyard in GoF because the Dark Lord was on his way up again.

I think in place of morals, Lucius has old-fashioned Duty. Muggles? Inferior. I wouldn't say he thinks they deserve to die, as Bellatrix does, but he likes torturing them and playing with them. He considers them animals, not people, so it's not a crime to hurt them. It's like living near deer: if they get in your garden, you can shoot them. If you want, you can hunt or torture them. If you want, you can leave them alone. They're not people, what's the problem?
    This is weird, too, but does Lucius have short or long hair? It never mentions the length of his hair in the books, but it does say he resembles his son. His hair is long in the films, and I can't imagine it any other way, but I've seen it depicted as short in fan art.
    Whatever you want. I think the resemblance between him and Draco is in their colouring, not hair length. After all, Draco's hair changes in every movie.
    In short, Lucius is an enigmatic character, and we don't know much about him, other than the obvious. Does anyone have any suggestions for writing Lucius?
    Only one other canon fact: Remember that he uses bribes. He has a lot of influence over Fudge through charitable donations to St. Mungo's and the like (if he gives to charity, he can't be evil, right?). And Fudge treated the Malfoys to box seats at the Quidditch Cup.

5 points to Ravenclaw

Schmerg_The_Impaler
    Wow, those were really helpful!

I especially like the idea of Narcissa loving Lucius and Lucius sort of thinking of his family as an accessory... that should be interesting in the story.

I don't know why, but oddly, I've really liked the character of Lucius. He's so unsavoury... and it helps that Jason Isaacs, the actor from the film, is one of the few film actors who really gets the character spot-on.

Suga
    Let me start with saying, I think the films have given a bad characterisation of Lucius, they've portrayed him as a bit of a child abuser *snorts* and the long hair and cane make him look like a... Well lets not go down that road.
    So let me give you my ideas on the character of Lucius, feel free to use any of them.

I think Lucius is very much a Slytherin, he does everything for a reason and makes things work to his advantage. For instance being a Death Eater, I don't see him ever being faithful enough to admit openly to anyone that he is fighting for the dark side, he's more of a dark horse. He likes to be in with both sides, convince Voldemort that he's a true supporter, yet all the time trying to kid the ministry and the like that he's ever the good samariton, donating money to the poor, being involved with the school etc. He knows that this way, whoever wins in the end, whoever gains the power he can be part of it.
    Of course I am talking preOOTP, although I imagine he is still pleading his innocence.

I don't like the image that is sometimes portrayed as him being a bit of a wife/child beater. I like to think that Narcissa is the stronger one in the relationship, any physical fights which may occur she's not afraid to fight back. I always see it as a bit of a love/hate relationship. If they arn't tearing each others throats out, they're being very passionate towards each other.

When it comes to Draco I think his father has tried to bring him up to be too much like himself and its backfired, Draco is too determined to follow in his fathers footsteps and perhaps this scares Lucius, afterall he knows the risks of working alongside the Dark Lord.
    I like to think that Draco and Lucius have a very close relationship, afterall Draco always seems to know everything thats going on, hs father seems to tell him an awful lot. If he were really the abused and hated child that is often portrayed, would he really know that much about the goings on?

5 points to Slytherin

Mistletoe
    Quote Originally Posted by Suga
    For instance being a Death Eater, I don't see him ever being faithful enough to admit openly to anyone that he is fighting for the dark side, he's more of a dark horse.
    I very much agree. He would never do something to jeopordize his position. He thought the DoM would end smoothly, Harry would go alone, smick, smack. Job Done. Oh, he was wrong, foolishly wrong. He is rather liek Slughorn in a sense (don't slap me!) just because they both do what they can to benefit themselves.

He likes to be in with both sides, convince Voldemort that he's a true supporter, yet all the time trying to kid the ministry and the like that he's ever the good samariton, donating money to the poor, being involved with the school etc
    I actually think Malfoy is truly a supporter of Voldemort. The only man stupid enough to ever think that Malfoy was innocent was Fudge, who was rather, er, stupid. Yes. And Voldemort would know if he wasn't a true supporter. Malfoy definitely supports Voldemort, with cleansing of blood and whatnot. Everyone knew Malfoy was a Death Eater. Fudge was just, well, stupid.

Of course I am talking preOOTP, although I imagine he is still pleading his innocence.
    I can see him saying he'd been Imperiused. Honestly, anything to get him out of trouble, he'd do. Sneaky, sneaky man. Wonder if anyone would believe he'd been Imperiused though? Doubtful.

As for their relationship, I agree with Starmaiden. She loves him more, and his family is but an accesory of power. All pureblood (obviously), and he knows what to do with them. Think of how he controls Draco in public? I can see Lucius being a good father, yes, but pushing and pushing his ideas into Draco's head until he has none of his own.

5 points to Slytherin

Rose Nym
    I have a few questions about Lucius and the Malfoy family...
    How do you think his relationship with his family of birth is? Does he have in any brothers or sisters in your opinion? In my story he is an only child. His parents are both obviously pureblood fanatics, but here, his mother is the one who wields the power in his house. She constantly ridicules her husband, and resorts to attacking Abraxas with a wand to get her way. Abraxas resents her for this and thinks she's a disgrace to the House of Malfoy, and tells her that. Their marriage was completely loveless, but out of duty. She knows the Dark Arts, but isn't very "subtle" as Lucius is, and as a result has had run-ins with the Ministry on several occasions, at which point she simply would just tell them to leave her alone because she's a pureblood and she'll do whatever she wants; usually she got away with it because she was very good at dueling, and the Ministry was somewhat weak in those days. Lucius's mother doesn't abuse him but pays practically no attention to him. He hates her. Do you think is plausible?

Also what happened to Lucius's parents? This is really confusing me, because it seems pretty clear that Malfoy Manor is an ancestral posession, but Grandpa and Grandma Malfoy don't live there. Did they die really young, or just move somewhere else giving Lucius the house?
    Thanks.

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Obliviate!
    With regard to their deaths, we know Abraxas is dead by Half-Blood Prince because Draco mentions him to Slughorn, and Slughorn says he was sorry to hear he'd died. I think he mentions dragon pox 'at his age', so I assume he wasn't young. The 'sorry to hear he'd died' part makes me think that it had happened recently-ish, within the last four or five years at the latest, and regards to his age, considering that Slughorn knew him, Abraxas could have been around the same age.

I'd assume that Grandma Malfoy was also dead by the time Deathy Hallows happened. She's not mentioned in that book and I think she would have been, if only in passing, if she was alive and lived in the house. She could have been living elsewhere, of course, but her absence makes me think she's dead as well. With regards to the house, manor houses often have farms and cottages on their land, as well as a lodge, perhaps during the last years of their lives, Lucius' parents retired to something like that, leaving the house completely in Lucius' hands. I'd hazard a guess that they lived there with Lucius at some stage, though, and may well have stayed until they died.

With brothers and sisters, I'm inclined to think Lucius is the eldest because he's inherited the house. We also never hear of any other family with the name Malfoy, so either Lucius was an only child, or his other siblings were girls who married into different families and therefore don't have the name Malfoy.

Regarding your characterisation of his mother, I think you have to think about how her behaviour would impact on Lucius. Experiences in childhood influence who somebody becomes in later life. You mention that his mother attacks his father and that their marriage was loveless. How would this affect his relationship with Narcissa? Death Eaters and everything aside, they do seem to love each other, and I think that often when children see one parent being beaten by the other, it makes them more inclined to domestic violence when they're older. How has Lucius' parents relationship influenced him?

I hope this helps.

Sarah x

Wonderful avvie by psijupiter. Totally brilliant and amazing banner by Julia/the opaleye!

Rose Nym
    Thanks, that kind of helps...I'm not entirely sure what characterization of the Malfoy parents I'm going with...I can probably make it work a different way, and now that I think about it that would be better for my plot...